IGNORED

Your first video game played ? owned ?

thetick1

Just thought it would be cool to see everyone's first exposure to video games.

Here are my video game firsts. What are yours ?

First home video game ever played (not pong):

Combat on Atari 2600 -- played at friend's house

First Arcade Game played:

Bezerk played at my local Space Port

First Video Game I owned

Jupiter Lander on Commodore VIC-20

First Video Game that made me cry... I never bought another video aftward without reading a review. Wow this was a horrible commercially released game.

The first video game "proper" that I played was a cocktail Pong (or a pong clone) at a restaurant some time in the mid 70's.

Before that it was electromechanical games, like the "shark" game in the movie Jaws. But those probably don't count as video games.

First home video game was Coleco Telstar Colortron that my dad brought back from the states during a business trip.

• Like 1

It's a distant memory, but must have been coin-op SPACE INVADERS, as I remember obsessing over it, and ASTEROIDS after that. I would have been 8 or 9 years old.

I can't remember the first home game I played, but it had to be something from Atari at a friends' house, much later than arcade Space Invaders, at least it felt that way in kid years. I remember thinking Combat, was cool, Adventure too.

Wouldn't own a home game until my parents bought my froend's Odyssey 2 setup as they upgraded to Colecovision. My favorite game from that set was K.C. Munchkin. I cannot remember if I've seen this TV commercial for it before. I guess I would have been around 12 then. I also enjoyed The Quest for the Rings and Soeedway/Spin-out/Crylto-Logic. It was the olden days.

I just found an online profile from a kid a few years younger than me -- high achieving, interesting person ...and now I'm wondering if this game stuff somehow beached my intellect. I'm thinking it was bound to happen ...now I'm off to read some comics and play some games, cos my mind likes this kind of thing.

• Like 2

I like this question and often dredge my memory banks to see if I can remember more, but it's usually the same answers:

-first videogame played: Scramble at my local "arcade" (ie trailer with few machines in it). Somewhere between 5-7

-first computer game I saw: not sure what game it was...a glimpse at a stand at some trade show. I thought about it for years and think it could have been one of The Ancient Art Of War games.

-first computer game I played: not sure. Could be Alleycat at some computer trade show. Had to bid my time, till the mean-spirited booth girl went to a loo. Or Harrier Attack at my moms workplace. They used ZX Spectrums for bookkeeping (no, seriously). Actually...now I think about it, it could have been something on Atari 800 before that. Fractalus or Solo Flight perhaps. Or Hero.

-first game I owned: haha, right. I grew up in the lawless Wild East. We had no copyrights and everyone was a pirate (even the GOG founder). Though I do recall I had an original copy of Seabase Delta for ZX...not sure how did that happen.

-first game I actually bought: I think Thief: The Dark Project in ~1998/9, I pirated it earlier but was so in love with it I bought it too, even though the price was like 1/4th of my paycheck (even with the discount from the store I worked in then)

Edited by youxia
  • Like 2

First real "quarter" video game: Asteroids, game lasted all of about 14 seconds. Hated it (of course, i was only 8 at the time), but less than 2 years later Pac-Man was introduced, and i was hooked.

First home game(s): Combat & Home Run on my cousin's 2600, he got one when they first came out and i'm sure they paid full retail price at that time. Hated it, he was a couple of years older than me and constantly kicked my ass at every game. Later when he got more "hit" games, like asteroids and space invaders, I was hooked again. A couple of years later he outgrew it (bored with it) and they sold it to us for the amazing price of $125 with 7 cartridges!!! (that was a deal back then!!!) So this makes it first home game exposure and ownership kinda unique: same exact system years apart!

A couple of more years after that, Commodore 64 arrived and all other systems were rendered primitive and boring to us.....C=64 consumed many years of my life!

• Like 2

My first exposure to Video games was Space Invaders and Air Sea battle for the Atari 2600 and I played it on a 19" black and white TV for years. We got it as a gift for Xmas that year with both games.

I got so good at space invaders, that I could start at 9am and still be playing the same game at 10pm. I did that once but, never attempted it again. I remember having to pee really, really bad where I just gave up at 10pm !

One of the classic stories of early gaming was... On the way to Jr High, there was a diner, they had a Pac-man machine there. Not the standard US one but,it had 3 circles on the left and right side of the map. Anyway, every morning I stopped by there with 1 quarter. Till about a month went buy and I was 2 hours late for school because I got so good. LOL

Edited by TheCoolDave

My first video game was tumblebugs on a8, followed closely by two of Sid Meier's first games--Chopper Rescue and Floyd of the Jungle (both of those were better)

This would have been ~1984, as the system's box proclaimed it the official computer of the 1984 olympic games. I'm guessing I was 3 years old

• Like 3

That's tough. In the late 70s we had the prerequisite pong machines. The coleco Telstar 3 way system would technically be the first non pong system with the gun and wheel, but it was very pong like. My father got a TRS-80 in 79, so the first non text based game we owned would have been Microsoft flight sim 1, or Galaxy Invasion, a Galaxian knock off. It may have been one color, but the trash 80 had better games than the 2600 there for a while. Scarfman, a Pac-Man copy was on the TRS-80 long before it saw release on Atari.

• Like 1

First game I played/owned was Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt. I was born in 1990. And the NES predates me but was what was in the house. I do remember going to Kmart to buy Kirby's Adventure when I was 3 though. Did not have an SNES until 2005. I was a victim of the we just got a NES why get a SNES logic from parents. Got a N64 back in 1996 though.

• Like 1

On the arcade front, Space Invaders was the first I played. It seemed to pop up in all the pizza huts and convenience stores. I was actually bored of it by the time Asteroids showed up at the bowling alley. Around 91, I owned a Return of the Jedi arcade game I bought from the local arcade for $400. I sold the beast for $300 a couple years later. I wish I had kept it. Who knew that yoke controller would be worth so much.

• Like 5