IGNORED

PEB as quiet as a church mouse!

cbmeeks

About 15+ years ago, I obtained a FREE (yes free) PEB from someone. It appeared to be in good shape. It was (is) empty. No floppy drives or cards.

So, I never even put power to it. Recently, I obtained a flex cable for it so I thought it was time to see if this thing works. I have read the fan is super loud.

After opening up the case, removing some cobwebs and other small critters, it's alive! I have to admit, it's not as loud as I was thinking it would be. No louder than a typical PC of the time. And I've got the top off. I may upgrade the fan sometime in the future with something quieter.

Anyway, I'm excited about it. I've wanted a PEB since I was a small kid and I finally got mine to power on. This is only phase one of many phases to come.

Time to start looking for cards. :-)

post-5987-0-98324700-1549236966_thumb.jpg

post-5987-0-39309300-1549236977_thumb.jpg

post-5987-0-41574700-1549236987_thumb.jpg

post-5987-0-80523100-1549237000_thumb.jpg

Video Feb 03, 6 24 09 PM.mov

• Like 3

AH! I didn't know that. Well, that's good news I guess.

Oh my...what kind of fan is that? Looks like something I'd put in my car engine. lol

That is the ORIGINAL TI FAN in the P-Box, they are so noisy you swear a small jet engine is installed, the older the louder.

• Like 2

About 15+ years ago, I obtained a FREE (yes free) PEB from someone. It appeared to be in good shape. It was (is) empty. No floppy drives or cards.

So, I never even put power to it. Recently, I obtained a flex cable for it so I thought it was time to see if this thing works. I have read the fan is super loud.

After opening up the case, removing some cobwebs and other small critters, it's alive! I have to admit, it's not as loud as I was thinking it would be. No louder than a typical PC of the time. And I've got the top off. I may upgrade the fan sometime in the future with something quieter.

Anyway, I'm excited about it. I've wanted a PEB since I was a small kid and I finally got mine to power on. This is only phase one of many phases to come.

Time to start looking for cards. :-)

OH, NICE! I WANT ONE!!!!! :o :O :o :O :o :O

The PEB was released in the spring of 1982. It was supposed to be in May, but I don't remember if it was exactly on time as I was planning a move and I wasn't paying really close attention. The sidecards were released between 1980 and 1982. The RS-232, 32K and Disk controller were released in 1980, and the Video Controller and the p-Code box came out in late 1981/early 1982. The Video Controller only had Class A certification, so it could only be used in business or educational environments. That makes it pretty rare today. The p-Code box was only sold for a short time, and most were sold to schools. Those were mostly discarded by the school systems, making them rare today as well. They were a stopgap device to meet TI's contractual requirement to make the p-System available before the PEB (and the p-Code card) was going to be ready.

• Like 1

The PEB was released in the spring of 1982. It was supposed to be in May, but I don't remember if it was exactly on time as I was planning a move and I wasn't paying really close attention. The sidecards were released between 1980 and 1982. The RS-232, 32K and Disk controller were released in 1980, and the Video Controller and the p-Code box came out in late 1981/early 1982. The Video Controller only had Class A certification, so it could only be used in business or educational environments. That makes it pretty rare today. The p-Code box was only sold for a short time, and most were sold to schools. Those were mostly discarded by the school systems, making them rare today as well. They were a stopgap device to meet TI's contractual requirement to make the p-System available before the PEB (and the p-Code card) was going to be ready.

Whatd the video controller do?

I saw one in operation once, at my Army recruiting center, they had me go through some pre-recruitment training sessions. It was like a video switcher that would route video from the computer and video from a VCR or Laser Disc to the same monitor for multimedia stuff, it also controlled the VCR/LD with RS232. The one I used was connected to a Laser disc, so I would watch a video it would stop the disc and ask questions about what I just watched, and based on the answer I gave it would play a response video. Like a really boring version of Dragons Lair. This was in 1989 at the Garden Grove Recruitment Center.

Edited by LASooner
  • Like 4

Well as soon as my divorce is done I can start pulling my TI out of attic and doing this so saving link, thanks.

How come no Youtube on this?

The JPEG's come up blank?

I don't know what I can tell you. WYERD had three totally awesome posts about upgrades, sadly all three are missing their graphics. He's also been MIA for nearly six months now. :_(

• Like 1

I don't know what I can tell you. WYERD had three totally awesome posts about upgrades, sadly all three are missing their graphics. He's also been MIA for nearly six months now. :_(

To bad there is not a Youtube video of it, guess I will do that when I get to it.