PEB as quiet as a church mouse!

peb

17 replies to this topic

#1 cbmeeks OFFLINE  

cbmeeks

Moonsweeper

• 409 posts

Posted Sun Feb 3, 2019 5:36 PM

About 15+ years ago, I obtained a FREE (yes free) PEB from someone.  It appeared to be in good shape.  It was (is) empty.  No floppy drives or cards.

So, I never even put power to it.  Recently, I obtained a flex cable for it so I thought it was time to see if this thing works.  I have read the fan is super loud.

After opening up the case, removing some cobwebs and other small critters, it's alive!  I have to admit, it's not as loud as I was thinking it would be.  No louder than a typical PC of the time.  And I've got the top off.  I may upgrade the fan sometime in the future with something quieter.

Anyway, I'm excited about it.  I've wanted a PEB since I was a small kid and I finally got mine to power on.  This is only phase one of many phases to come.

Time to start looking for cards.  :-)

Attached Files

#2 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

Hexacorerunner

• 13,623 posts

Posted Sun Feb 3, 2019 5:55 PM

That's not the original fan, could be why it's not so noisy!  ;)

The original fan looked like this...

med_gallery_35324_1396_46646.jpg

Congrats!

#3 cbmeeks OFFLINE  

cbmeeks

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 409 posts

Posted Sun Feb 3, 2019 7:04 PM

AH!  I didn't know that.  Well, that's good news I guess.

Oh my...what kind of fan is that?  Looks like something I'd put in my car engine.  lol

• RXB likes this

#4 RXB OFFLINE  

RXB

River Patroller

• 3,506 posts

Posted Sun Feb 3, 2019 8:18 PM

AH!  I didn't know that.  Well, that's good news I guess.

Oh my...what kind of fan is that?  Looks like something I'd put in my car engine.  lol

That is the ORIGINAL TI FAN in the P-Box, they are so noisy you swear a small jet engine is installed,  the older the louder.

#5 Schmitzi OFFLINE  

Schmitzi

River Patroller

• 4,476 posts
  • ToXiC

Posted Mon Feb 4, 2019 7:27 AM

I use the standard noise blockers ;)

(here one, but from eBay Germany)

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 131676395187

But you have to steal some 12 Volts from inside the power supply

Attached File  02-IDE-grab-12Volts.JPG   2.14MB   2 downloads

#6 BuckoBrand OFFLINE  

BuckoBrand

Chopper Commander

• 190 posts
  • Sans

Posted Mon Feb 4, 2019 4:25 PM

About 15+ years ago, I obtained a FREE (yes free) PEB from someone.  It appeared to be in good shape.  It was (is) empty.  No floppy drives or cards.

So, I never even put power to it.  Recently, I obtained a flex cable for it so I thought it was time to see if this thing works.  I have read the fan is super loud.

After opening up the case, removing some cobwebs and other small critters, it's alive!  I have to admit, it's not as loud as I was thinking it would be.  No louder than a typical PC of the time.  And I've got the top off.  I may upgrade the fan sometime in the future with something quieter.

Anyway, I'm excited about it.  I've wanted a PEB since I was a small kid and I finally got mine to power on.  This is only phase one of many phases to come.

Time to start looking for cards.  :-)

OH, NICE! I WANT ONE!!!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o

#7 tschak909 OFFLINE  

tschak909

River Patroller

• 3,088 posts

Posted Mon Feb 4, 2019 5:17 PM

When did TI release the PEB in relation to the sidecar peripherals?

-Thom

#8 Ksarul OFFLINE  

Ksarul

Quadrunner

• 5,136 posts

Posted Mon Feb 4, 2019 5:44 PM

The PEB was released in the spring of 1982. It was supposed to be in May, but I don't remember if it was exactly on time as I was planning a move and I wasn't paying really close attention. The sidecards were released between 1980 and 1982. The RS-232, 32K and Disk controller were released in 1980, and the Video Controller and the p-Code box came out in late 1981/early 1982. The Video Controller only had Class A certification, so it could only be used in business or educational environments. That makes it pretty rare today. The p-Code box was only sold for a short time, and most were sold to schools. Those were mostly discarded by the school systems, making them rare today as well. They were a stopgap device to meet TI's contractual requirement to make the p-System available before the PEB (and the p-Code card) was going to be ready.

#9 Airshack OFFLINE  

Airshack

Dragonstomper

• 895 posts

Posted Wed Feb 6, 2019 7:39 AM

The PEB was released in the spring of 1982. It was supposed to be in May, but I don't remember if it was exactly on time as I was planning a move and I wasn't paying really close attention. The sidecards were released between 1980 and 1982. The RS-232, 32K and Disk controller were released in 1980, and the Video Controller and the p-Code box came out in late 1981/early 1982. The Video Controller only had Class A certification, so it could only be used in business or educational environments. That makes it pretty rare today. The p-Code box was only sold for a short time, and most were sold to schools. Those were mostly discarded by the school systems, making them rare today as well. They were a stopgap device to meet TI's contractual requirement to make the p-System available before the PEB (and the p-Code card) was going to be ready.

#10 Airshack OFFLINE  

Airshack

Dragonstomper

• 895 posts

Posted Wed Feb 6, 2019 7:40 AM

Whatd the video controller do?

#11 LASooner OFFLINE  

LASooner

Moonsweeper

• 371 posts

Posted Wed Feb 6, 2019 12:44 PM

Whatd the video controller do?

I saw one in operation once, at my Army recruiting center, they had me go through some pre-recruitment training sessions. It was like a video switcher that would route video from the computer and video from a VCR or Laser Disc to the same monitor for multimedia stuff, it also controlled the VCR/LD with RS232. The one I used was connected to a Laser disc, so I would watch a video it would stop the disc and ask questions about what I just watched, and based on the answer I gave it would play a response video. Like a really boring version of Dragons Lair. This was in 1989 at the Garden Grove Recruitment Center.

Edited by LASooner, Wed Feb 6, 2019 12:48 PM.

#12 RXB OFFLINE  

RXB

River Patroller

• 3,506 posts

Posted Wed Feb 6, 2019 5:18 PM

I always wanted to install a PC power supply in the P-Box instead of that freaking Iron melting power sucking P-Box original.

#13 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

Hexacorerunner

• 13,623 posts

Posted Wed Feb 6, 2019 6:50 PM

I always wanted to install a PC power supply in the P-Box instead of that freaking Iron melting power sucking P-Box original.

]There was an excellent thread on << HERE >>this by Pebo, but all the photos appear to be missing.

• RXB likes this

#14 RXB OFFLINE  

RXB

River Patroller

• 3,506 posts

Posted Wed Feb 6, 2019 9:51 PM

Well as soon as my divorce is done I can start pulling my TI out of attic and doing this so saving link, thanks.

How come no Youtube on this? 

The JPEG's come up blank?

#15 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

Hexacorerunner

• 13,623 posts

Posted Wed Feb 6, 2019 11:42 PM

Well as soon as my divorce is done I can start pulling my TI out of attic and doing this so saving link, thanks.

How come no Youtube on this? 

The JPEG's come up blank?

I don't know what I can tell you.  WYERD had three totally awesome posts about upgrades, sadly all three are missing their graphics.  He's also been MIA for nearly six months now.  :_(

• RXB likes this

#16 RXB OFFLINE  

RXB

River Patroller

• 3,506 posts

Posted Thu Feb 7, 2019 6:11 AM

I don't know what I can tell you.  WYERD had three totally awesome posts about upgrades, sadly all three are missing their graphics.  He's also been MIA for nearly six months now.  :_(

To bad there is not a Youtube video of it, guess I will do that when I get to it.

#17 RickyDean OFFLINE  

RickyDean

Stargunner

• 1,053 posts

Posted Thu Feb 7, 2019 7:07 AM

I have a couple of PEBs modified with switching power supplies. It's been 20 years though since I've done one,  :? were does the time go? Oh...well.

• RXB likes this

#18 Ksarul OFFLINE  

Ksarul

Quadrunner

• 5,136 posts

Posted Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:46 AM

With the Video Controller, you could also load and save program files from the audio track of the VCR tapes. . .

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: peb

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users