Photo

BennVenn (Gameboy modder) just announced an LCD replacement for the Lynx

35 replies to this topic

#26 str0m OFFLINE  

str0m

Space Invader

• 14 posts

Posted Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:27 AM

Sounds great (interested in NGPC as well!)

#27 BennVenn OFFLINE  

BennVenn

Combat Commando

• 6 posts

Posted Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:10 PM

The LCD used is the lq035nc111. I believe this is similar if not the same to what the competition uses and you can find them from about $3 to $10 ea on Aliexpress or Ebay. I ordered 10 of the cheaper $4 screens and 4 of them arrived with a dead pixel in one place or another. So keep that in mind. These LCD's have a built in self test where if you hold Vblank and Hblank active they'll strobe through R/G/B/W/black so you can easily spot a bad panel.

Scaling is linear 2x in both Horizontal and Vertical so no distortion. I put a vote up on my FB if the kit should be solderless (Just a ribbon to insert in the Lynx2) and the response was keep it soldered to make use of the extra functions the Backlight button can provide, like varying the backlight intensity and scanlines. This is also required for the Lynx 1 anyway.

#28 karri OFFLINE  

karri

River Patroller

• 2,625 posts

Posted Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:54 PM

Does the refresh run at the same rate as the Lynx?

The reason I ask is that a few games have a still image where the palette changes during the HBL in order to get more colours on screen than the max 16.

#29 BennVenn OFFLINE  

BennVenn

Combat Commando

• 6 posts

Posted Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:18 PM

Yes, The doubled scan lines are drawn at the beginning of the following scan line. This means whatever the Lynx writes to the LCD will be accurately rendered on the LCD. The frame rate is locked to the Lynx's frame rate and technically should support up to 140frames per second though i don't know of any games which make use of this. It'll certainly need beta testing to reveal any bugs which aren't apparent with my limited game selection.

• jum likes this

#30 Jess Ragan OFFLINE  

Jess Ragan

Phanto of the Opera

• 10,236 posts
  • Keys and Thank You

Posted Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:54 PM

You got my attention with "Neo-Geo Pocket Color." How much for that one, and how much work will it take to install it?

#31 BennVenn OFFLINE  

BennVenn

Combat Commando

• 6 posts

Posted Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:50 PM

I'll be aiming for $50 for the NGPC kit, almost no work to install. A ribbon cable to insert, no shell cutting to fit the LCD in or anything, no soldering. Maybe a 3d spacer to get it all aligned or some hot glue if that's more your style. The image is slightly smaller than original, pretty similar to the existing backlight mod for it. JellyBelly customs said he'll be doing a custom lcd protector for it so it looks like its supposed to be in there.

#32 necrocia OFFLINE  

necrocia

Moonsweeper

• 434 posts

Posted Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:49 AM

BV is powering though with this mod kit! Benn Venn's LCD mod kit for Atari Lynx enters final prototype stage

56120172_2131008557012586_5771473255890157568_n.jpg

#33 Cyprian_K OFFLINE  

Cyprian_K

Chopper Commander

• 116 posts

Posted Mon Apr 8, 2019 6:10 AM

looks really promising

I would buy one for my Lynx II

#34 BennVenn OFFLINE  

BennVenn

Combat Commando

• 6 posts

Posted Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:36 PM

Jason picked up a prototype yesterday and has uploaded a quick video if you want to see it in action and what is involved.  

#35 mobilegametech OFFLINE  

mobilegametech

Combat Commando

• 1 posts

Posted Today, 5:09 AM

Jason picked up a prototype yesterday and has uploaded a quick video if you want to see it in action and what is involved.  

https://youtu.be/posnpYAbvRo

Hi BennVenn
Will you also be working on something for the sega Nomad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#36 Nuclear Pacman OFFLINE  

Nuclear Pacman

River Patroller

• 2,858 posts
  • L33T

Posted Today, 5:30 AM

Looks good.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users