IGNORED

Xbox Live Coming To Nintendo Switch, iOS, And Android, Microsoft Confirms

Xbl has been part of mobile for a while now, at least a year that I know of. Guess it's cool their going to switch, sorry but Nintendo's online service has in my experience sucked thus far (no switch experience/knowledge though)

Not sure how xbl is even managing now, being console wise dead last at the moment. Sounds like their trying to keep it afloat more than anything, not sure how the computer side works money wise, as I've never used it, though it's apparently there in quite a few games I have.

Xbl has been part of mobile for a while now, at least a year that I know of. Guess it's cool their going to switch, sorry but Nintendo's online service has in my experience sucked thus far (no switch experience/knowledge though)

Not sure how xbl is even managing now, being console wise dead last at the moment. Sounds like their trying to keep it afloat more than anything, not sure how the computer side works money wise, as I've never used it, though it's apparently there in quite a few games I have.

Geez, being third doesn't mean they're failing horribly. Just means they're third.

• Like 3

Microsoft is doing fine in their gaming division and they are making crazy money as a company. For their gaming division, yearly revenue in 2018 was 11.5 billion dollars, up 23% YoY.

For the most recent quarter:

"Microsoft’s gaming business has been a recent highlight of the company’s earnings, and fiscal Q2 2019 is no different. Gaming revenue is up 8 percent this quarter, although Xbox hardware revenue has dropped by 19 percent mainly due to the Xbox One X launch in the same quarter a year ago. Xbox Live active users also hit 64 million during the holidays, up 8 percent from the previous year."

Source

• Like 3

I didn't say they were failing, I said they were dead last. Sorry, but third out of three does still qualify as last. Hey, combine them with nintendo, and I think combined they still only have like 20% of the market share.

?? Why do people associate not being first as failing?? This happens every generation.

I didn't say they were failing, I said they were dead last. Sorry, but third out of three does still qualify as last. Hey, combine them with nintendo, and I think combined they still only have like 20% of the market share.

?? Why do people associate not being first as failing?? This happens every generation.

You said both you "don't know how they're managing" (would you say that about a highly profitable company or division?) and "sounds like their (sic) trying to keep it afloat more than anything" (would you say that about a highly profitable company or division?)

So, no, you are correct, you did not say "failing".

Switch Online is GREAT at $20/year -- if for no other reason than a big pool of NES ROMs, some of which have been hacked to be more interesting.

I bumped up to the $35/year family plan because my wife and son both have Switches. I think that it offers me more value than my XBL Gold sub at the moment.

MS is hardly dead last or even struggling exactly, they're doing fine. And yes it's stupid to talk about how you're first or worst but that's yet another petty shitty thing held over from the 16bit console wars days of the classic 'you suck' argument despite profit. Seriously though if you combine the numbers of the Switch and the One against the PS4, Sony isn't exactly killing it like they did in other generations and the gap (thanks to Switch) is closing not that MS isn't selling anything either. MS is just being smart peddling their network is all to a wider audience where there could be a possible need or desire.

• Like 1

https://www.gamespot.com/amp-articles/xbox-live-coming-to-nintendo-switch-ios-and-androi/1100-6464772/

The question is why switch. I can see iphone and android. But nintendo is the competitor. Why would they even allow that.

Because Nintendo and Microsoft haven't really competed against each other since the XBox/GameCube era.

Microsoft is doing fine in their gaming division and they are making crazy money as a company. For their gaming division, yearly revenue in 2018 was 11.5 billion dollars, up 23% YoY.

For the most recent quarter:

"Microsoft’s gaming business has been a recent highlight of the company’s earnings, and fiscal Q2 2019 is no different. Gaming revenue is up 8 percent this quarter, although Xbox hardware revenue has dropped by 19 percent mainly due to the Xbox One X launch in the same quarter a year ago. Xbox Live active users also hit 64 million during the holidays, up 8 percent from the previous year."

Source

YES! Surface is also up almost 40% and had its biggest revenue quarter ever. There are plenty of people exposed to XBox live through Surface and Windows 10 and Microsoft has been emphasizing the Xbox Live service as a focus for quite some time. Many years ago, I heard it said that XBox Live has as many paying subscribers as a top 3 cable company in the USA and it has only grown since. 64 million may be bigger - I dunno.

For users who already have an account on those platforms, it probably isn't a big attraction, but when posed with the decision to create a new account or log in with XBox live and add to your already existing gamer profile then the choice to use XBL becomes attractive. If this move lets you log in to multiple platforms without having to create a new account then it will be useful and familiar to at least some consumers and will drive others to log in with that method.

• 2 weeks later...

Just saying that if the Xbox was doing better, then they wouldn't have a need to port live to other platforms. Xbox (contrary to popular belief) is NOT Microsoft.

Nintendo is the only "we're only us" game console out there, neither Xbox or PlayStation are needed to make the parent company float. It has the advantage of they can keep it in stores, even if it does poorly. Nintendo is down to one system now, as far as I'm aware 3d s is dead. Unless Xbox stopped selling altogether, I doubt it would be pulled from market, as Microsoft could float it regardless of how bad it may be doing.

And yes, I would say that about a "highly profitable company or division" last is last. (Xbox, not microsoft, since you appear to have trouble differentiating the two) Doesn't matter what delusion you wish to live by, you (nor I for that matter) can change fact to fiction regardless of desire. :P

Edited by Video