Photo

Bouncy's obstacle course

59 replies to this topic

#51 Ksarul OFFLINE  

Ksarul

Quadrunner

• 5,271 posts

Posted Fri Apr 5, 2019 11:21 PM

I like it! I will have to burn a ROM for Turtles, as he loves this style of games. . .

#52 Asmusr OFFLINE  

Asmusr

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,110 posts

Posted Sat Apr 6, 2019 10:34 AM

I don't know if it's tough, but some indication of the end of the course would be nice, rather than looping.

And if you die and then fall, you get a solid ball at the bottom. I thought at first I had a second chance. ;)

Thanks for testing.

So some kind of end sequence, after you finish all the levels? I think that's a good idea. My plan is also that when you start over there will be enemies on all levels.

I have fixed the die and fall issue.

#53 Asmusr OFFLINE  

Asmusr

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,110 posts

Posted Sat Apr 6, 2019 10:46 AM

The crazy thing is that the game is still only using about half of the CPU capacity. The other half of the time is spent waiting for a VDP interrupt.

The source code is available from:

https://github.com/Rasmus-M/obstacle

#54 Vorticon OFFLINE  

Vorticon

River Patroller

• 3,726 posts

Posted Sat Apr 6, 2019 2:52 PM

Rasmus, do you code in C then cross-assemble or do you do straight assembly language?

#55 Tursi OFFLINE  

Tursi

Quadrunner

• 5,638 posts
  • HarmlessLion

Posted Sat Apr 6, 2019 3:11 PM

Thanks for testing.

So some kind of end sequence, after you finish all the levels? I think that's a good idea. My plan is also that when you start over there will be enemies on all levels.

I have fixed the die and fall issue.

No, I mean when you finish the course you're on, you can't tell it's the end. You just see more obstacles coming and all of a sudden it stops and says you're done. Maybe change the top and bottom to a checkered flag pattern or something instead of wrapping, if that's easy? (As a bonus, on the one level where the last obstacle is really tricky, you can see how close you are right before you die ;) )

#56 Asmusr OFFLINE  

Asmusr

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,110 posts

Posted Sun Apr 7, 2019 12:12 AM

Rasmus, do you code in C then cross-assemble or do you do straight assembly language?

I code in assembly.

#57 Vorticon OFFLINE  

Vorticon

River Patroller

• 3,726 posts

Posted Sun Apr 7, 2019 6:02 AM

I code in assembly.

I am duly impressed. The "apparent" facility in which you churn out code is nothing short of remarkable... You are one talented young man.

#58 Asmusr OFFLINE  

Asmusr

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,110 posts

Posted Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:32 AM

Thanks for the good feedback on the previous version. I think this will be the final beta version.  ;)

I have added two more levels (10 levels total), a finish line, and an end screen, and I'm running out of space in the 16K ROM.

[Edit: and the Speed run level (4) is now twice as long.]

You can play the game using a joystick (left, right, fire) or keyboard (s, d, space), depending on which key you press to start the game. Press S on the start screen to turn speech on/off.

I would like some feedback on how difficult the game is, so it would be great if you would post the highest level you have reached.

This game doesn't require 32K RAM, but I know some people would like an E/A#5 version, and I will create that when the game has been beta tested and no more changes are required.

Attached File  js99er-20190417183046.png   5.32KB   2 downloads

Attached Files

Edited by Asmusr, Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:14 PM.

#59 jrhodes OFFLINE  

jrhodes

Moonsweeper

• 314 posts

Posted Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:20 PM

Any excuse to fire up the TI is a good excuse, and this is certainly a good one!

I fired up the previous beta in classic99, loved it. Trying to refrain from playing any more until you release the EA5 version so i can try it on real metal via TIPI! :-D

#60 Asmusr OFFLINE  

Asmusr

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,110 posts

Posted Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:26 AM

Any excuse to fire up the TI is a good excuse, and this is certainly a good one!

I fired up the previous beta in classic99, loved it. Trying to refrain from playing any more until you release the EA5 version so i can try it on real metal via TIPI! :-D

I found a way to build both versions from the same code, so here you are.

Attached Files

Edited by Asmusr, Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:27 AM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users