Photo

Disabling Sticky Keys?

10 replies to this topic

#1 christo930 OFFLINE  

christo930

Moonsweeper

• 299 posts

Posted Fri Feb 8, 2019 9:42 PM

Does anyone know if there is a way to shut off the sticky keys shit in Windows?  Every time I try to play games in dosbox where the game uses the shift key, hitting it twice in a row sucks dosbox out of focus and brings up a dialog asking if you want to enable sticky keys. By the time I can make it disappear and switch back to dosbox, I've been killed, or lose a ball or whatever it is.

#2 DragonGrafx-16 ONLINE  

DragonGrafx-16

Moonsweeper

• 339 posts

Posted Fri Feb 8, 2019 10:46 PM

Uh just google "turn off sticky keys" + whatever version of Windows you have.

#3 christo930 OFFLINE  

christo930

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 299 posts

Posted Sat Feb 9, 2019 1:49 PM

Uh just google "turn off sticky keys" + whatever version of Windows you have.

It was turned off. It's just that Windows offers to turn it on.  I should have searched first, then posted, because I found it right afterwards. Thanks.  What a stupid feature

#4 youxia OFFLINE  

youxia

Dragonstomper

• 763 posts

Posted Sat Feb 9, 2019 8:13 PM

What a stupid feature

Sticky keys is an accessibility feature of some graphical user interfaces to assist users who have physical disabilities or help users reduce repetitive strain injury

#5 DragonGrafx-16 ONLINE  

DragonGrafx-16

Moonsweeper

• 339 posts

Posted Sat Feb 9, 2019 8:24 PM

It's fine an all but it should really give an option to disable the popup window from the window itself.

#6 youxia OFFLINE  

youxia

Dragonstomper

• 763 posts

Posted Sat Feb 9, 2019 10:29 PM

It does just that, at least in Win 10.

In any case, raging about Sticky Keys guarantees an automatic entry into the #firstworldproblems Top Ten, so at least there's that :)

#7 christo930 OFFLINE  

christo930

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 299 posts

Posted Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:06 AM

I'm not saying sticky keys itself is stupid, just the idea that it is enabled by default.   Your little first world problems snipe applies to literally everything that could be posted here.

#8 Osgeld OFFLINE  

Osgeld

Quadrunner

• 5,875 posts

Posted Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:10 AM

its not enabled by default, it sees someone spazzing out on the shift key and offers help geez

for shits n giggles i hit the shift key 5 times in windows 10 and right there in the box was a link to take me to the control panel to uncheck the shortcut box

Edited by Osgeld, Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:12 AM.

#9 CatPix OFFLINE  

CatPix

River Patroller

• 4,077 posts

Posted Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:19 AM

It's not always obvious, and it is one of those things that doesn't need to exist. I mean, video games shifted from using the arrows keys to WASD about 20 years ago, and so since then, the shift key had been used in video games. Well in fact it was used before because it's also next to the arrows keys. So, which dense engineer with no relationship to the world decided one day to link that key with that feature, and activating it by default? Why not choosing a never used key like the Pause/break key or well, one of the FUNCTIONS keys?

#10 youxia OFFLINE  

youxia

Dragonstomper

• 763 posts

Posted Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:02 AM

I'm not saying sticky keys itself is stupid, just the idea that it is enabled by default.   Your little first world problems snipe applies to literally everything that could be posted here.

Most of the questions on AA don't involve elementary stuff which every gamer faced at some point, solved in 3-5 minutes and moved on with their life. Of course it's your god-given right to create an expletive-laden thread about it, but please don't be surprised that someone might find it funny.

So, which dense engineer with no relationship to the world decided one day to link that key with that feature, and activating it by default? Why not choosing a never used key like the Pause/break key or well, one of the FUNCTIONS keys?

I don't know, but maybe because gamers do not constitute 100% of PC userbase and there are other people who actually use function  keys etc, and above all because it's not at all a real problem?

But by all means, let's spend next 2 pages dissecting this fascinating and profound conundrum :thumbsup:

#11 Osgeld OFFLINE  

Osgeld

Quadrunner

• 5,875 posts

Posted Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:16 PM

I still use the arrow keys, I mouse left handed and it drives me nuts to be cramped up on the corner of a keyboard with offset keys :P

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users