Hardware Troubleshooting

2 replies to this topic

#1 Tursi OFFLINE  

Tursi

Quadrunner

• 5,486 posts
  • HarmlessLion

Posted Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:54 PM

Feel silly asking this as I always figured when my first console failed I'd be able to figure it out... but my plank TI has developed an odd issue and I'm not sure where to look. Suggestions?

The first time I turn it on, it locks up. Better than 90% of the time, the second power cycle works. It's got a better chance of coming on as it warms up. It's fully stable once it's up too.

Ideas?

#2 InsaneMultitasker OFFLINE  

InsaneMultitasker

River Patroller

• 2,360 posts

Posted Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:22 PM

I once repaired a Geneve that acted in a similar manner when the 9901 was flakey.  Once the card warmed the chip things were fine.  Another possibility is a socket or solder joint problem; sometimes a 'tap test' on the chips and sockets will elicit a response that helps you find the culprit.  Hopefully you will be able to find the problem, whatever it might be...

#3 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

Hexacorerunner

• 13,621 posts

Posted Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:51 PM

The first time I turn it on, it locks up. Better than 90% of the time, the second power cycle works. It's got a better chance of coming on as it warms up. It's fully stable once it's up too.

Ideas?

Interesting, first time it locks up, but second time it works.

First thing that comes to my mind, is that it could be a possible capacitor issue, from a cold start it's totally discharged, so it might be taking too long to get up to value, so everything else crashes.  Once charged, at the second power up it's fine.  Just one idea.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users