7 replies to this topic

#1 jhd OFFLINE  

jhd

Stargunner

• 1,821 posts

Posted Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:23 PM

This story appeared in today's Herald:

https://calgaryheral...ndo-themed-cafe

The cafe, which Bahay said will be located at 1240 16th Ave. N.W. across from SAIT, will feature walls covered in Nintendo consoles, memorabilia and televisions as big as 70 inches.

“We have it available that you can play the old, retro Nintendo (consoles) all the way up to the new Nintendo Switch, and whatever comes after that. We’re trying to bring the old and the new together.”

While visitors will have the option to purchase coffee or baked goods, the cafe will have a yet-to-be-determined rate to play.

Bahay said the location is still under construction, but they are hoping to open in the coming weeks.

This is an interesting variation on the Barcade theme; I will definitely be checking this place out once it opens.

Has anyone ever been to a similar establishment? 

#2 0078265317 OFFLINE  

Quadrunner

• 6,467 posts

Posted Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:01 PM

Nice

#3 atari2600land OFFLINE  

atari2600land

Channel F Viewer

• 11,623 posts

Posted Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:14 AM

I wonder what would happen if Nintendo found out...

#4 carlsson OFFLINE  

carlsson

Metagalactic Mule

• 8,475 posts

Posted Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:06 AM

Would Nintendo have an issue with an establishment offering people to play their games, if so at a cost? I didn't read anything about walls painted with Mario characters, custom cakes, loading consoles with bootleg multicarts or similar. A brief look at their Instagram doesn't reveal any such infringements neither, just the name of the place Super Smash Cafe which while it borrows from the Super Smash Bros series might be more trouble than gain for big N to make a claim on.

#5 CatPix OFFLINE  

CatPix

River Patroller

• 4,073 posts

Posted Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:22 AM

I doubt Nintendo will do anything unless copyright infrigment is involved. That would be indeed too much trouble and Nintendo usually handle such things in a rather clever way, PR wise... Unlike Atari SA :D

#6 chicgamer OFFLINE  

chicgamer

Dragonstomper

• 535 posts

Posted Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:20 AM

Next year, there is a Sega Genesis themed pizza place opening in Fort Wayne, Indiana. I believe the owners are developing their own Genesis games.

Edited by chicgamer, Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:21 AM.

#7 Pixelboy OFFLINE  

Pixelboy

Quadrunner

• 8,161 posts

Posted Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:29 AM

I have to wonder if they're going for the nostalgia vibe with this concept. If their coffee shop has a very "Nintendo kiddie" vibe, then this is bound to alienate the Microsoft and Sony fanboys (teenagers and young adults) who actually drink coffee.

Kids usually don't drink coffee, so I have to wonder how many parents bring their kids to coffee shops on a regular basis.

Of course, I have to assume they're going to offer beverages other than coffee, along with food items. But then should you really call it a "coffee shop"? I dunno, a new descriptive term like "Food 'n Fun" seems more appropriate, if you don't want to call it a "restaurant".

Edited by Pixelboy, Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:31 AM.

#8 MrMaddog OFFLINE  

MrMaddog

Dragonstomper

• 893 posts
  • Not a 'gamer' but a video game player...

Posted Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:47 PM

I doubt Nintendo will do anything unless copyright infrigment is involved. That would be indeed too much trouble and Nintendo usually handle such things in a rather clever way, PR wise... Unlike Atari SA :D

I dunno... They've been going after places like that in Japan with a new law passed over there.  And they have a history of trying to enforce the same laws over in the States (ie. game rentals).  Not to mention Disney had actually gone after day care centers who had paintings of their characters on walls.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users