IGNORED

What's the Best Way to Play Original PlayStation Games?

So I'm looking at my original PlayStation (I have one of the older models) because I intend to hook it up to my CRT to play some games on it. But I started thinking about the possibilities... So hear me out: the old PS1 models are big, they have heating issues and you can't use component to connect it to some of the newer CRTs like the one I got. Is it worth using the PS2 to play original PS games? Is that considered a viable option in terms of emulation and technical proficiency? Oh, and has anyone here have the last PS2 model that's incredibly light, small and doesn't require a power brick? I've always wanted one of those, but since I already have a slim PS2, it's hard to justify getting another system just because it's lighter, smaller and doesn't have a small power brick... Anyway, I'm really interested in going back to some old PS games and I'm wondering what's the best way to do so. Thanks.

The ps2 slim was nice and didnt have the problems of the big one., even has ir inside to use a dvd remote too.

Seriously though PSOne and with its Sony lcd is your best bet. If the screen bothers you buy the POUND cable for like 30 to give it a solid bump in visual quality. Using a ps2 a few/some games have issues of some sort and really isnt worth it. You can get a bare PSone cheap as It is anyway.

• Like 1

So hear me out: the old PS1 models are big, they have heating issues and you can't use component to connect it to some of the newer CRTs like the one I got.

Big and overheating? I have the standard PSX model and never had any heating problems and consider it one of the more lightweight and small consoles. In fact it traveled with me quite a lot.

The component is a bigger issue for sure, if your TV only accepts this as the quality option. I'm lucky to have some RGB sets in Europe, the RGB quality via SCART is mindblowing. So I guess PS2 is an option, problem is not all the games work and I'm not 100% sure about its emulation quality.

PS3 does not output 240p so it'd be sacreligious going down this route, unless you want to go down some transcoder rabbit hole.

https://www.retrorgb.com/playstation.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_games_incompatible_with_PlayStation_2

Big and overheating? I have the standard PSX model and never had any heating problems and consider it one of the more lightweight and small consoles. In fact it traveled with me quite a lot.

The component is a bigger issue for sure, if your TV only accepts this as the quality option. I'm lucky to have some RGB sets in Europe, the RGB quality via SCART is mindblowing. So I guess PS2 is an option, problem is not all the games work and I'm not 100% sure about its emulation quality.

PS3 does not output 240p so it'd be sacreligious going down this route, unless you want to go down some transcoder rabbit hole.

https://www.retrorgb.com/playstation.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_games_incompatible_with_PlayStation_2

Apparently, I've had a different experience with the PSX. I remember playing Digimon World 3 for hours and the console freezing when I was younger. I assumed this was a common issue, since I've heard people mentioned it before.

My TV accepts both component and composite, but since I already have component I feel it's a shame the PS1 doesn't support that.

What resolution do PS1 games output on a PS3? I looked it up but I can't find anything. I'm not really a technical guy, but I thought PS1 games looked great on a PS3. I'm probably wrong, though.

The ps2 slim was nice and didnt have the problems of the big one., even has ir inside to use a dvd remote too.

Seriously though PSOne and with its Sony lcd is your best bet. If the screen bothers you buy the POUND cable for like 30 to give it a solid bump in visual quality. Using a ps2 a few/some games have issues of some sort and really isnt worth it. You can get a bare PSone cheap as It is anyway.

I've watched videos about those POUND cables, they sound awesome, but I'd have to pay for international shipping and they are always sold out. I guess it's not really worth it. Thanks!

What resolution do PS1 games output on a PS3? I looked it up but I can't find anything. I'm not really a technical guy, but I thought PS1 games looked great on a PS3. I'm probably wrong, though.

PS3 can output games from 480i – 1080p, but not 240p. As a result, HDMI is the best solution.

Playstation 3 also supports the same resolutions via component video output, although most displays won’t accept 1080p via component, only 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i.

As an FYI, if you use an RGB cable with a PS3, you’ll only get 480i, so in most cases, this is not a good solution

Other mods & info:– All PS3 systems are backward-compatible with PS1 games, but none run in 240p, only 480i.

That's from RetroRGB link.

240p is the native resolution of PS1, it's the famous scanline look. If you use a PS3 it will be gone, replaced by 480i. That's the one most PS2 games use, has flicker, no scanlines and was not meant for PS1.

If it looks great to you then fine, but I'd really advise to see how it looks in its "proper" version to understand the difference (it's huge). Above all if you don't want scanlines then there's little point bothering with a CRT at all, in this case just output to some modern TV via HDMI. But if you already have a CRT set then it would be a huge waste - just get a PS2, component cable, softmod it all (then you can also connect mass storage like HDD/USB or LAN) and enjoy one of the best libraries in videogaming, looking amazing to boot.

Edited by youxia
  • Like 1

Interesting solution^^. Wonder how it works? Converts RGB?

It's funny because PS1 games (IMO mmmkay?), especially the super-jaggy early 3D ones, don't really need the RAZOR SHARP!!!11!1 look youtubers will tell you about. Text and some detail looks better of course, but overall the scene benefits from the natural AA of even a composite/s-video. I guess it's not so bad on a CRT even with component, because it will still soften the image a bit but on a LCD that super sharp stuff looks just dreadful.

• Like 1

Probably why the Sony LCD made for the PSone doesn't look awful. They customized it or something because all the games look smoother than they should for a LCD, softens up the uglies quite nicely compared to playing it on a real TV panel. It's why I don't bother placing my PSone on the TV except once so far for a few days, because the screen though small is fantastic. I would consider the pound cable, my problem is I'm pretty much out of plugs left I can fit. I've already got a few power strips back there due to the internet box, tv box, 2 powered hdmi switcher boxes, tv, ps4 for movies, switch, gc, pce cg2, nes+snes ce, nes, snes, n64, a lava lamp, and my antique fan. I know they say it can work off USB but I've had flaky behavior from trying that using other stuff like the original chromecast.

Regarding overheating, I frequently had to rest my original PSOne on its side to avoid skipping during in-game videos. I once even called Sony support and they suggested it. They claimed it put the hottest part of the machine at the highest point and allowed heat to escape straight out the top.

Regarding overheating, I frequently had to rest my original PSOne on its side to avoid skipping during in-game videos. I once even called Sony support and they suggested it. They claimed it put the hottest part of the machine at the highest point and allowed heat to escape straight out the top.

I remember putting two large encyclopedias on the sides so that the heat would dissipate better. Some of the longer games I'd beat during the summer break and the only thing I had in my bedroom was a small fan. Those were the days...

• Like 1

Probably why the Sony LCD made for the PSone doesn't look awful. They customized it or something because all the games look smoother than they should for a LCD, softens up the uglies quite nicely compared to playing it on a real TV panel. It's why I don't bother placing my PSone on the TV except once so far for a few days, because the screen though small is fantastic. I would consider the pound cable, my problem is I'm pretty much out of plugs left I can fit. I've already got a few power strips back there due to the internet box, tv box, 2 powered hdmi switcher boxes, tv, ps4 for movies, switch, gc, pce cg2, nes+snes ce, nes, snes, n64, a lava lamp, and my antique fan. I know they say it can work off USB but I've had flaky behavior from trying that using other stuff like the original chromecast.

What about playing on a PS2 with a component cable? Would that be better? Over the past few years, I feel like I've learned a lot about the technical aspect of consoles, but there are so many things to consider, ways to hook them up to TVs, alternative ways of playing, emulators and so on, that I often find myself questioning the way that I've been using them. The YouTube channel My Life in Gaming has helped me a lot, but there's a lot to take in and they can be overwhelming (yet incredibly educating.) Sadly, it's not always as easy as finding a PVM or a 36-inch Sony Trinitron because most mortals don't have access to those, myself included.

I did years ago for a time play PS1 games on the PS2, and it's not the worst you can do that's for certain, but in the cases of select games, it is the worst since they have problems. The Square bundles of those Final Fantasy games, some of them have serious problems, and it goes beyond those, maybe worth googling for details. The audio/visuals are ok enough off the PS2 and i think you can slightly ever so tinker with the sharpness in the menu as well if I remember things right, but in the end, it's not ideal as either a PSOne+LCD combo would be or a PSOne(or PS1 original) using that Pound device. It's strange as that device was made for PS2 but screws it up because of it supporting PS1 as PS2 games come off less clearly and can't be run in their best resolution locked at 480i not 480p.

Interesting solution^^. Wonder how it works? Converts RGB?

Yeah, that's pretty much how they work. There is a chip built into the cable to accomplish that task. They cables are available for most consoles that output RGB like the Genesis and SNES in addition to others. You can also get a cable for the N64 assuming it has an RGB board mod installed.

I guess the biggest question is whether you want to play the light gun games. If that doesn't matter, then the display option loses all criteria beyond what is most convenient. If the light guns do matter, then you really need a CRT with an absolute minimum 19" diagnal (25" or more is preferable) hooked up through RCA cables.

I have a couple of original model Playstations. They still work but one of them needs to be flipped over to work. I haven't used them as regular workhorses in decades.

I have a PS One, but it is barely used. It's been so minimally touched that it still looks new in package.

Ideally, you'd want to use one of those two consoles. They have the highest compatibility. Any other option is going to have compatibility with a handful of games.

That said, a fat PS2 served my PS1 functions for a long time. There were only a tiny handful of games which I had compatibility issues with. It also served well playing my beloved Guncon games.

The Slim PS2 functioned just as well. I don't recall any additional issues with PS1 games on that system that the fat PS2 already suffered from. Of course, I lost the ability to play Guncon games because of changing to an LCD monitor and Component cables with the system.

The PS3 is yet another step down for PS1 games. There are a few more compatibility issues. For example, Road Rash locks up after the level 1 tracks are complete. Tekken 3's graphics are garbled. Gekioh Shooting King doesn't play the music. Mostly, it's just oddball little compatibility things like that. And of course it's impossible to play Guncon games on the PS3.

My personal opinion is that a fat or slim PS2 hooked up to big CRT is the best way to go. But it really depends on what you want to play and how often you'll be playing it.

• Like 1