Photo

One box for multiple Atari systems. Suggestions?

8 replies to this topic

#1 JDFoxy OFFLINE  

JDFoxy

Combat Commando

• 4 posts

Posted Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:33 PM

Is anyone emulating a bunch of Atari systems on one box? I want to put something together that is Atari only using some original controllers. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

#2 OldSchoolRetroGamer OFFLINE  

OldSchoolRetroGamer

Quadrunner

• 5,546 posts
  • aka MaximumRD !

Posted Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:34 AM

giphy.gif

#3 mr_me OFFLINE  

mr_me

River Patroller

• 3,946 posts

Posted Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:46 AM

Altirra is the only emulator I know that can emulate an atari 5200 trackball controller properly. For that reason a small windows computer might be needed.

Edited by mr_me, Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:47 AM.

#4 JDFoxy OFFLINE  

JDFoxy

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 4 posts

Posted Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:52 PM

Altirra is the only emulator I know that can emulate an atari 5200 trackball controller properly. For that reason a small windows computer might be needed.

Thanks Mr_Me. I love the trak-ball (honestly I'm a sucker for any outside-the-box controller--just put down my Arkanoid II Fami Vaus--computer kicked my butt :-/ ) so that would be sweet! I am actually leaning towards MiSTer. Probably overkill, but I like the spirit of that project... and, frankly, the results!

#5 Keatah OFFLINE  

Keatah

Missile Commander

• 21,950 posts

Posted Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:13 PM

All you really need to do is gather MAME, Altirra, and Stella and run them on x86 hardware of your choice. You can wire-up things like Blissbox or iPAC or Stelladaptor for interfacing controllers. This will give you comprehensive and feature-rich coverage of all the early Atari systems. And headroom to spare for the future. Emulation today is not just about accuracy, but convenience and reliability and versatility.

This is only one possible route out of many that will get you there.

#6 JDFoxy OFFLINE  

JDFoxy

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 4 posts

Posted Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:40 PM

All you really need to do is gather MAME, Altirra, and Stella and run them on x86 hardware of your choice. You can wire-up things like Blissbox or iPAC or Stelladaptor for interfacing controllers. This will give you comprehensive and feature-rich coverage of all the early Atari systems. And headroom to spare for the future. Emulation today is not just about accuracy, but convenience and reliability and versatility.

This is only one possible route out of many that will get you there.

Sounds good. I already own a 2600-daptor D9 and a Retronic Design Universal DB9, so I THINK I'm good for controller interfacing (but I'll read more on iPAC and Stelladaptor--already know about Blissbox). MAME, Altirra and Stella: makes sense! For me it's a matter of how I'd streamline the experience to create something that feels console-esque (extremely subjective, obviously). Thanks!

#7 Keatah OFFLINE  

Keatah

Missile Commander

• 21,950 posts

Posted Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:24 PM

I always wanted an all-in-one "magic box" that'd play all my cartridge systems when I was a kid. So, today, a nondescript emulation box fits my childhood imagination just fine.

I don't think you'll ever quite capture the exact precise console feel, streamlined, say like having an Atari 800 on the desk connected to an old school boxy and hot CRT. In an 80's bedroom. The deluxe emulation experience will be different, perhaps more like what we dreamed about as kids of the 80's. Sharper display, thin, futuristic.. And definitely much more reliable and customizable.

A clean windows desktop on a purpose-buit x86 helps. YMMV

#8 JDFoxy OFFLINE  

JDFoxy

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 4 posts

Posted Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:46 PM

Keatah: we had the same dream!

Yeah, it'll never be exactly the same, but I've got original systems running through an OSSC to a giant flatscreen and totally love and definitely accept that. I'm sure the right hardware/software emulation combo will work for me, too. Heck I even have some off-the-shelves emulation boxes that work well I'd say 85% of the time, and are still very fun with original controllers--at least to me.

I've never put together a purpose-built emulation system, but ready to try!

#9 MrMaddog OFFLINE  

MrMaddog

Dragonstomper

• 909 posts
  • Not a 'gamer' but a video game player...

Posted Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:44 PM

My answer for emulation needs for the last 25 years...

cartoon_dilbert_condescending_unix_user_

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users