Photo

Help bringing my 1040STf back to life

4 replies to this topic

#1 hannar OFFLINE  

hannar

Combat Commando

• 1 posts

Posted Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:44 PM

Re-discovered my Atari 1040STf in a forgotten corner of a closet and want to recreate my early 90's computer experience.  She got me though countless computer classes in pursuit of a CS degree, and now it payback for her years of service...  But, like all old thing ( including myself ), it seems she's got a few issues.  After getting a Gotek and setting up FlashFloppy I soon discovered that my 1040 was acting as a 520.  From the screenshot of Sysinfo you can see bank 1 is now working.  Has anyone seen this before or know what/where I can start checking?  It's been years since I've done any digital electronics, but I do have the need tools ( meters/oscilloscope/logic analyzer ).

Secondly, I'd love to give her a needed TOS upgrade.  But I've run into the deadly 32 vs 28 pin horror.  My ST has two ROMS ( 128kx8 ) that are 28 pins.  I'd prefer now modifying the board if it can be helped.  Anyone know of a supply of 28 pin ROMS?  Or any ideas?  I currently have TOS 1.02 and would like to at least go to 1.04 ( Rainbow ) or perhaps even EmuTOS, as I've setup the cross-complier and have been playing with it under emulation and even booted it by way of floppy/Gotek.  Another thought was a custom ROM cartridge?

Third and lastly, what it the preferred method of development?  I'd like to keep GCC/Linux/Hatari for development, but I cant seem to find a GCC/GEMLib to use with for native GEM  applications.  Everything seems to be tailored to/for Pure C.

Thanks ahead for any info,

HaNNaR

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20190203_162432920.jpg
  • IMG_20190205_185138628_HDR.jpg
  • IMG_20190205_190113630.jpg
  • IMG_20190210_142556013.jpg
  • IMG_20190210_142534031.jpg

#2 Zogging Hell OFFLINE  

Zogging Hell

Moonsweeper

• 435 posts

Posted Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:54 AM

Odd the whole bank has gone, is it the same with the new gubbins you added removed? Perhaps try checking the seating of the MMU chip while you are at it. Have you checked the value/ amount with any other programs? A ram tester might be an idea.

Regarding the ROMs I'm no expert but I believe you can use the 32 pin ROMs, but need to use some additional wires to bridge some pins on the chip itself. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable on the subject can point you in the right direction. In the mean time 1.02 can be patched to perform on par with 1.04 fairly easily (Fatspeed or Bigdos and Pinhead 2.1 add most of the missing functionality, Selectric will sort out the file selector).

#3 TheNameOfTheGame OFFLINE  

TheNameOfTheGame

Dragonstomper

• 699 posts

Posted Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:52 AM

Might try ebay for some 28-pin chips.

Edited by TheNameOfTheGame, Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:59 AM.

#4 SoulBuster OFFLINE  

SoulBuster

River Patroller

• 2,463 posts

Posted Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:47 AM

I am not sure, but does the Marpet 4mb upgrade use the main board memory or just its own?  Would an upgrade eliminate this problem and give 4 mb memory?

#5 snarkdluG OFFLINE  

snarkdluG

Space Invader

• 10 posts

Posted Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:37 PM

I am not sure, but does the Marpet 4mb upgrade use the main board memory or just its own?  Would an upgrade eliminate this problem and give 4 mb memory?

You can use on board memory with the Marpet if you want to. Usually you disable one or both banks on the board and just use simms in the Marpet simm holder. I'm not sure if it would help in this case since a whole bank is gone. The Marpet board just connect on top of the mmu and the shifter. So if either of those two chips is bad it would not solve it.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users