IGNORED

Looking for some Antic Music Processor 2.0 (AMP2) song files

Slipqueue

Hello, everyone,

I have been looking for some song files I made with the Antic Music Processor 2.0 back in July 1989 and uploaded to GEnie and Compuserve. I've searched for them off and on for the last few years, but keep coming up with the same 50 or so AMP2 songs in archives, ftp sites, etc. I'm hoping someone might have them stashed away on a floppy somewhere:

WISHING.AMP (Wishing by Asia)

DREAMON.AMP (Dream On by Aerosmith)

LONGROAD.AMP (Love Is a Long Road by Tom Petty)

Dream On was listed in Z*Mag around that time as a file on both GEnie and CIS, so I know I'm not hallucinating. :)

Many thanks to anyone who gives it a shot.

Greg

post-52946-0-68071400-1550369697.jpg

post-52946-0-84001100-1550369705.jpg

• Like 1

Well, I collected several AMP files from various Antic and STart magazines. And I converted several AMS (AMS-2) soundfiles into this AMP format. Alas, the files you mention are not in that collection, guess you never released them on Antic or STart ?!?

Think I have two players for these AMP sounds in my collection, but alas, no player that plays these sounds in simulated stereo (while I do have a player that plays AMS 1+2 sounds in simulated stereo).

Here is all I found on comp.sys.atari.8bit when googling for AMP...

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/comp.sys.atari.8bit/AMP$20songs%7Csort:date

I do have many / most (or maybe all?) Z-Mag's in my collection, but only the text files, no AMP songs. You can find the text here: https://www.atariarchives.org/cfn/12/05/02/index.php or here: http://www.textfiles.com/magazines/ZNET/ or here: http://umich.edu/~archive/atari/8bit/Magazines/Zmag/

Edited by CharlieChaplin
  • Like 1

Sorry - I ran a full GREP on my entire ATR collection for the various files and could not find anything. I did have quite the AMP collection - AMP and my 300 baud modem in 1987 was my 1st version of Winamp and downloading MP3s :)

For anyone that may care - the 1st 2 BBS downloads of mine, were I'll Wait (Van Halen song) and Charlie Brown theme song in AMP format.

• Like 1

Copied some AMP disks tonight. I don't think the songs you made are on any of these but here they are for everyone. It would be great if someone made a site with an archive of all the AMP and other Atari format songs for download. It would be even cooler if they were able to play each song without downloading the file and loading it into an emulator.

Allan

Music Files.zip

Edited by Allan
  • Like 4

Thanks for looking, guys. I knew it would be a long shot at this point, but I appreciate you all giving it a try. Maybe this post will surface in someone else's search five years from now and they'll have the answer. hehe

As I was going through all the archives online, I had the exact same thought about a site that catered to the different types of 8-bit Atari music in their original format. BUT - the easiest way to set up on online jukebox would be to run the sound from the 8-bit through a preamp hooked up to a PC or Mac that can capture the sound and save it as an MP3 file (I'm a voice actor, so I have the equipment and might give it a try and compare the difference between the sound from my 800XL and that coming from an emulator). After that, it's just a matter of throwing together some HTML5 code for playing the files (I think you can do a playlist in HTML5... I just want to avoid Flash and Java as much as possible.)

Greg

Edited by Slipqueue

It would be great if someone made a site with an archive of all the AMP and other Atari format songs for download. It would be even cooler if they were able to play each song without downloading the file and loading it into an emulator.

It's a project I've started

• Like 2

I assume you've seen ASMA but if you want something running local but connected you could try ChipMachine which has a search for all the big online chip music repos, like HVSC, ASMA and Exotica. Enter something in the search bar and it'll find the tunes for you.

If you have an iOS device Modizer does the same sort of thing there. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/modizer/id393964792?mt=8

• Like 2

Like I said above, there are a few dozen that made it into PD collections. Aside from GEnie and Compuserve, I usually uploaded them to BBSes when I needed to establish my upload/download ration. (heehee) If I had been thinking, I would have contributed them to the AAAUA in San Antonio at the time. The few Koala Pad pics I made have shown up in PD collections, so I still have hope that some club archived the AMP files as well!

• Like 1

Like I said above, there are a few dozen that made it into PD collections. Aside from GEnie and Compuserve, I usually uploaded them to BBSes when I needed to establish my upload/download ration. (heehee) If I had been thinking, I would have contributed them to the AAAUA in San Antonio at the time. The few Koala Pad pics I made have shown up in PD collections, so I still have hope that some club archived the AMP files as well!

That's cool. I was in a tiny corner of NE Ohio. Only had access to a few local 216 area code BBSes back then (remember when long distance was a thing?)

• Like 1

Oh, man. I usually only called long distance when I needed files from the support BBS for Express Pro!. I watched that as closely as I watched my time on the pay services!

Oh man, it was high times in my teens waiting until after 11PM when the long distance rates from Vancouver BC Canada would drop to a mere 23c per minute to call the Puff and Moose BBS's Rochester NY, NCAUG and The Jail in Ontario. After my phone line cost, I only a budget of about $10 of my paper route money, so I had to make my 40 minutes of LD each month count! Very stressful watching the connect timer during a download and praying the connection doesn't fail mid-download!

The phone company had a policy where they would refund LD phone charges for 1 minute calls where maybe an answering machine picked up, or some other failure that prevented your call from going through. I made sure I called those in if I ever had a connection problem....

• Like 3

Could you post the Koala Pad pics. It might jog some of my memory cells.

Nothing spectacular, but I'll share the jpeg screenshots I took. I can put them on an ATR file or something if you want the native format. (I'd just have to dig through my archives to find them again.)

-Greg

post-52946-0-97234200-1550712380.jpg

post-52946-0-74575200-1550712388.jpg

post-52946-0-17411300-1550712396.jpg

• Like 4

post-10165-0-29352000-1550881476.png

I found this Koala Picture on my Koala pictures MyDos atr and wonder is it is another one of your creations. I have collected over 900 koala pictures from different atr collections.

Still no luck finding any of the Music files you were asking about. I may have them but not named by the name you have given. And since the Music files are not identified by Author it is hard to find with out the Music to hear and put a name to.

• Like 2

attachicon.gifTULL.png

I found this Koala Picture on my Koala pictures MyDos atr and wonder is it is another one of your creations. I have collected over 900 koala pictures from different atr collections.

Holy smokes! I had forgotten all about that one! I took that from a sweatshirt a friend got for me when she saw them during the Under Wraps tour. Thanks for that! I'll add that to the ATR I make for The Doctor. ;)

And thanks for checking on the AMP 2 files for me. It would have been a lot easier if they had tags on them or something, but at the time, I didn't think of embedding my name in them somewhere.

• Like 2

"Still no luck finding any of the Music files you were asking about. I may have them but not named by the name you have given. And since the Music files are not identified by Author it is hard to find with out the Music to hear and put a name to."

It just struck me that the Asia tune might be as well known as the other two since it was on their (underrated, imo) third album Astra:

• Like 1

The great AMP hunt shall continue!

I just snagged your atr...

I remember asking folks to storm the GENIE/CIS server as well as AOL as each was approaching shutdown and decommission ( I was in no shape to do so at those times). I warned of the great loss it would be if somehow we let it slip by. While I'm sure not me didn't do it, nobody must have heard me, so somebody has got to have it all somewhere.

• Like 1