IGNORED

What floppy drives work with the TI?

cbmeeks

I just purchased a floppy disk controller (PHP1240) for my PEB. I read the MainByte page on it and it appears that I can only use an official TI disk drive. SSSD or DSSD drives.

Is that true? I have a couple standard 1.2 MiB floppy drives but I'm guessing those can't work.

What's my best option for a 5 1/4" drive?

Thanks!

Hi, don´t know what the best option is, but have a look here:

(There are some drives that only work anlone in the PEB)

pdf.gif TI-99-4A-FLOPPY-DRIVES-TI-99-v1.14-ALL.pdf 32.18KB -9 downloads

Legend (for the last column in the list):

post-41141-0-03736800-1550676311.jpg

(Source:)

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/241978-ti-994a-resources-lists-pdfs-and-some-lists/

• 4 weeks later...

Many years ago... I found 2 Shugart SA455 1/2 height drives in a local shop and almost lost my mind.

I bought them both and put them in the old 99.

One of them died shortly after taking the rig out of hibernation last year and I found one on EBAY.

Could be one of the last ones out there.

But for what it's worth, they are compatible with the stock disk controller and give DSSD (double sided single density) with 180 Kbytes of storage per diskette!

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/RARE-1983-VINTAGE-SHUGART-ASSOCIATES-5-25-BLACK-360KB-FLOPPY-DISK-DRIVE-SA455-/233171683128?oid=233132763096

About the only 48TPI drives you need to stay away from are the ones from Qume. They had a relatively high power draw, and two of them would overload the PEB power supply. Avoid 1.2M drives like the plague as well. Basically, if the drive says it is 48 TPI, 40-track, or 360K, it will work. If you do the 80-track modification to your disk controller, you can also use 96TPI, 80-track, 720K disks. This option is good if you want to add a 3.5-inch drive.