IGNORED

Resynator project

mos6507

I found this Kickstarter via the guitar synthesizer hobby which I'm getting back into over at the vguitar forums.

When I heard that they were having trouble recreating the hardware due to obsolete chips it seemed like the best place to find help would be classic videogame guys over here, where this sort of thing is old-hat.

I sent her a PM so maybe she'll drop in and and reply to the thread, otherwise if you want to offer your expertise, please reach out to Alison Tavel.

Here is the Facebook page as well.

UWZsZuM.png

My main interest is seeing the Hexsynator brought back which is the same generation of tech as the Roland GR-300. (Mainstream listeners probably heard the most of this flavor of synth via Andy Summers in backing tracks on The Police albums).

nHdJ8U2.png

Old ICs are hard to get unless you can find some old scrap equipment to reclaim them from, somewhere like Mouser may have some, a list of which devices are being sought would help.

If original replacements/functional equivalents cannot be found then she will be out of luck if being pure to the original design/using only original parts is what she wants. If she just wants the functionality and using all original components is not a concern then...

1) Someone could create a circuit from other parts that does the same thing as the original component (would require a datasheet for the original part showing an internal schematic and/or function diagram/truth table).

2) Someone could use an FPGA to recreate an original part, the same reference data as option 1 would be required but the software often has library parts of older microprocessors/digital devices that could not only solve the problem solve the problem but in essence maintain the purity of the original design.

3) Someone could program a DSP PIC, they are designed for digital signal processing application. I have not used one yet but it likely someone would be able to programme it do what either the entire Resynator (or a specific section) of it does.

That said, realistically without getting a replacement IC custom made which would be prohibitively expensive the option for using new replacement parts are limited. Analogue semiconductor devices such as Op-amps, Transistors and diodes are easier as generally it does not matter that they are of a better spec.

For digital IC's while you could use an FPGA or DSP PIC the problem is one of propagation delay, you do not want digital signals reaching the next digital device a clock pulse too early or too late. Single logic gates/simple devices are fine & any FPGA library parts of original devices should also be fine if you can run them at a slow enough speed but most modern FPGA,s and DSP PIC's are designed to run much faster meaning you would either have to monitor the system clock of the Resynator and use that to latch the inputs & output to prevent data synchronisation issues when using them to recreate a subsection of the Resynator or use the FPGA/DSP Pic to recreate the entire digital circuitry.

Thanks very much! I'm not actually having trouble recreating the hardware...I just haven't been able to get to that part yet. I'm funding this project myself (hence the kickstarter!) and Mike Beigel of Mutron has been helping me out to get the first one fully functional again. The goal right now is to get the documentary out with the unit I have now and then figure out what kind of new prototype would make sense, I'm exploring a few different options both in physical and digital spaces. Both instances would require a disassembly of the code my dad invented but I am also in touch with a great man who I believe is up for the task!

But i will keep your info above because that is all good to know!