IGNORED

Atari 7800 RF A/V cable to HDMI? Is this possible?

Pac-Lander

Hello all!

I'm desperately wondering if it it is possible to play my 7800 on a standard computer monitor. So far, I'm at a loss...

Is it possible to output the 7800's audio/video to a monitor via HDMI? Or VGA?

Obviously I'd need a converter, but I haven't been able to find one that does this, or even answer the question if it's possible! The 7800 uses a single RF cable that carries the audio and video signal, and I'm wondering if that's different from a standard RCA cable that splits the signal into two separate cables.

I'm grateful for any help!

Thanks,

Aaron

Hook the 7800 to a VHS player and use the composite av out on the VHS player and feed that into a RetroTink 2X you will get a lag free 480p hdmi signal. Now you can use a cheaper composite to hdmi adapters but it will add more lag to an already laggy Digital TV. Make sure you set your TV to game mode and turn off all the TV video features as they also add to lag. As for the RF and RCA signals they are modulated together on the RF, the VHS player can Demodulate the signal splitting it giving you the standard RCA composite signal and separate RCA audio.

• Like 1

This is an old picture of a device that does what you want, I believe. I had it and used it for about 10 years to play games occasionally while (ahem) "working". It's OK, but not perfect, with some (in my opinion) minor artifacts.

It takes as input either a coax antenna cable or a composite video RCA cable (yellow) and right/left channel audio RCA cables (red, white) and has the VGA DB connector that goes into your computer monitor. It also has an RF tuner and came with a remote, neither of which I used.

I got mine at Fry's Electronics sometime in the mid-2000's, but can't tell you where to get one now, though. Sorry, I don't have any other pictures to show the back. I might still have it somewhere, but don't know where it is if I do.

post-19903-0-54184000-1550801523_thumb.jpg

Edited by fiddlepaddle

• 2 weeks later...