To start the new year, and to provide a better Basic for all the new ten-liners, I'm releasing version 4.0 of FastBasic.
The major changes in this version are under the hood:
- The interpreter has been changed from a stack-base virtual machine to a register plus stack, this makes the interpreter from 10% to 20% faster depending in the program. In the SIEVE.BAS benchmark, the Atari version is 13% faster and in the cross-compiler is 19% faster, but programs depending on fast PEEK and POKE should be much faster.
- There is now a full test-suite to automatically catch regressions in the parser and interpreter, ensuring that bugs don't re-appear.
- There is now a command-line compiler "FBC.COM", this allows compiling large programs that don't fit in the full editor. Currently, "FBC" accepts the full floating-point syntax.
- Added minimal support for Player/Missile graphics:
- PMGRAPHICS (abbreviated PM.) statements setups P/M,
- PMHMOVE (abbreviated PMH.) horizontal moving a a player/missile,
- PMADR() returns the address of the given player/missile data.
- Many small bugs fixed.
As always, full sources and binaries for Atari, Linux, Windows and MacOS are available over Github: https://github.com/d...tbasic/releases