Photo

Arcade game made me snarf my drink

6 replies to this topic

#1 ClassicGMR OFFLINE  

ClassicGMR

Stargunner

• 1,499 posts

Posted Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:37 PM

My Raspberry Pi screensaver just played the video clip for the arcade game Captain America and the Avengers... and it actually made me laugh.

So... Cap punches out some guys, walks to the right and proceeds to punch out a soda machine. The machine falls over and explodes. OK... I guess.

He picks up the bench and throws it... it explodes. I snorted my Gatorade.

He attacks a bunch of baddies that come on screen. He picks one up and throws the guy. HE EXPLODES!! I lost it...

When did Michael Bay design video games?!?!

Ever have that happen to you? :)

#2 slab0meat OFFLINE  

slab0meat

Stargunner

• 1,678 posts

Posted Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:22 PM

Only when I used to read these.....

d0530b811c6062738fcc1e0be01c2a0e_origina

#3 Cynicaster OFFLINE  

Cynicaster

River Patroller

• 2,582 posts

Posted Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:17 AM

Heh, yeah, I get a laugh out of stuff like that sometimes, too.  More so in a "how did I not notice how silly this is back then?" kind of way.  Because back then, that's what was done.  Just look at the NES and the frequency with which you'd see incongruous explosions.  In Ninja Gaiden, a swipe of a sword at a bat makes it explode.  Whoa!  I think old game hardware just couldn't keep track of piles of dead bodies and miscellaneous detritus, so making it explode was a great ad hoc solution for final disposition of those things.  Double Dragon made stuff blink, but that's just so anticlimactic.  Pop machines and guys with mohawks and tattoos deserve a burst of flames and maybe a bit of smoke for a send off.  

#4 DragonGrafx-16 OFFLINE  

DragonGrafx-16

Moonsweeper

• 482 posts

Posted Sun Mar 3, 2019 12:55 AM

Well at least with the Turtles games most of the enemies were robots. Other games most likely used explosions because they were less graphic.

#5 redsteakraw OFFLINE  

redsteakraw

Chopper Commander

• 200 posts

Posted Sat Mar 9, 2019 6:40 AM

Only when I used to read these.....

d0530b811c6062738fcc1e0be01c2a0e_origina

Where is that from, my brother's dog is named snarf and it would be funny to show that to him. 

#6 thank you OFFLINE  

thank you

Combat Commando

• 3 posts

Posted Sat Mar 9, 2019 6:52 AM

https://en.wikipedia...wiki/SnarfQuest

#7 roots.genoa OFFLINE  

roots.genoa

Star Raider

• 95 posts

Posted Sat Mar 9, 2019 6:57 AM

When did Michael Bay design video games?!?!

Hollywood didn't exactly wait for Michael Bay to blow everything up in a ridiculous manner:
There is also a similar hilarious scene in Shakedown (1988); both the car and the motorcycle fall off the road but neither explodes. Then Sam Elliott shoots at them and boom! :rolling:

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users