Photo

A new 5200 method to get wired PS3 and Xbox 360 controllers compatible

potentiometer controller adapter cable joystick gamepad xbox 360 playstation dual shock 3 dualshock

2 replies to this topic

#1 ave1 OFFLINE  

ave1

Dragonstomper

• 526 posts

Posted Sun Mar 3, 2019 3:31 PM

Well, I've done some more experimenting and have managed to find a way to attach wired PS3 and Xbox 360 controllers to the 5200 to play the games that offer digital controls (as opposed to the analog-only games like Missile Command).

This required a number of video game controller adapters/cables and a USB power supply. Here's how it's done:

The adapters needed to get the wired PS3 controllers compatible with the Atari 5200 are as follows:

1) a 15 pin PC Gameport controller to 15 pin Atari 5200 adapter. These are obtained by contacting Atariage member, bohoki. He makes these for under $20 (shipped within the U.S.).

2) An adapter that converts Atari/Amiga/Sega controllers with a 9 pin connector to a 15 pin PC gameport. These are available on Ebay from "Ikonsgr74" and can be obtained for under $20 (shipped anywhere in the world).

3) A Tototek Joypad Convertor version MD (for Playstation controller compatibility on the Megadrive/Sega Genesis). These adapters are under $30.

4) A Brook Game Controller Super Convertor for adapting a PS3/PS4 controller to a PS2 console. These can be had for under $40.

5) a USB splitter cable ($12 or less).

6) a powersupply with a USB cord (5Volts) OR a USB Hub with connected power supply.

To get the Xbox 360 controllers compatible with the 5200, you'll need one additional adapter. It is the Mayflash Universal Adapter for Xbox360/PS3/PS2/PC USB. These may be found at Amazon. Current price for these on Amazon is $30, but that is subject to change. Mayflash adapters tend to become scarce and go up in price.

If any of you have interest in a video presentation on this (as well as a quick explanation of how to fix a potentiometer controller problem) here's the link for that:

#2 bohoki OFFLINE  

bohoki

Stargunner

• 1,582 posts

Posted Sun Mar 3, 2019 7:42 PM

wow i have not seen that many connections for legitimate use since sonic 2 with knuckles in a genie on a 32x or course the height winner is still a supercharger in a 2600 adapter

its hilarious that you used that adapter i only made a few of because that is technically a 5200 to wico with a wico to pc gameport adapter

i was so dissapointed he never did the punching bag to barreldrop on bluto

#3 0078265317 ONLINE  

Quadrunner

• 6,727 posts

Posted Sun Mar 3, 2019 8:05 PM

Nice

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: potentiometer, controller, adapter, cable, joystick, gamepad, xbox 360, playstation, dual shock 3, dualshock

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users