FPGA Pong Discrete system 1st generation

4 replies to this topic

#1 TheProgrammerIncarnate OFFLINE  

TheProgrammerIncarnate

Space Invader

• 22 posts

Posted Tue Mar 5, 2019 6:39 AM

Hello all!

I've been chatting with some people on this forum and decided to start posting updates here on my project to emulate discrete game chips. There are no true emulations, and only a few simulations have been done so far due to the fact that they don't contain microprocessors and because most of the circuitry is inside a literal black box. Hopefully this will change soon.

https://nerdstuffbyc...ess-update.html

#2 Mikebloke OFFLINE  

Mikebloke

Space Invader

• 32 posts

Posted Thu Mar 7, 2019 9:45 AM

Hi ProgrammerIncarnate,

thanks for the hijack on my thread, its actually super interesting! I noticed in your blog you mentioned about a video on the wipeout chip, if it helps in anyway I have uploaded a capture of the PC 50x "cartridge" for wipeout here: 

I have all the other PC 50x games on display here too: https://www.youtube....weGFy2UYRMWW1fm

#3 TheProgrammerIncarnate OFFLINE  

TheProgrammerIncarnate

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 22 posts

Posted Thu Mar 7, 2019 3:37 PM

Awesome! Finding footage of some of these games is hard, I'll probably link to your videos whenever I want to show gameplay (before emulation is complete.) Also, what system did you capture these on? The color palette is different than the video I linked to.

#4 Mikebloke OFFLINE  

Mikebloke

Space Invader

• 32 posts

Posted Thu Mar 7, 2019 10:04 PM

Awesome! Finding footage of some of these games is hard, I'll probably link to your videos whenever I want to show gameplay (before emulation is complete.) Also, what system did you capture these on? The color palette is different than the video I linked to.

Yes it's the radofin telesports iii. It's a slightly later model of the pc 50x setup in that it has a colour palette switcher on the back with 3 settings: green, red and blue. I tried to pick the best contrasts for each game, but all the colours in each setting is the same (background, grid, player 1, player 2, missile).

It isn't unique for this feature, but I think most if not all carried the 'iii' designation to split it from earlier models. They should all have audio through rf too, earlier models will be like the binatone TV master and fairchild channel f model 1 and have external speaker from what I remember.

#5 TheProgrammerIncarnate OFFLINE  

TheProgrammerIncarnate

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 22 posts

Posted Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:49 AM

Here's another post. This ones about the AY-3-8606 "Wipeout" chip, which Mikebloke provided a video of above.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: FPGA, Pong, Discrete system, 1st generation

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users