IGNORED

Diablo now on GoG moments ago

Wow, I'm stunned. $9.99

https://www.gog.com/game/diablo

Battle.net enabled and all this is quite impressive and I'm surprised given they run their own network. Does this mean more Blizzard games?? They've been hosting older stuff like Blackthorne, Lost Vikings, and Rock n Roll Racing free on their site buried there, but also could we get Diablo 2? Warcraft 1 and 2 finally??? Those last two aren't even offered on their pages in any form.

• Like 4

That is cool. I like GOG's no-nonsense distribution style. I've got a Battle Chest in my basement ... never really got into this on desktop, but there's no denying its influence on this style of game.

Edit: It's funny to me how their marketing emails always arrive in my inbox about 20 minutes after I hear about the updates someplace else. When I read "period-appropriate 20FPS SVGA graphics" I was like ... erm, I don't think I want that. Thank goodness right next door is "or play an updated version..." :lol:

post-2410-0-47438900-1551976604_thumb.png

I could have sworn that the first Diablo was offered for free with the Battlenet stuff etc several years back from Blizzard directly? I know that is how I got mine. Though I've not played it in some time so I don't know if it will still work on my current Windows 10 load.

Diablo came out right in the middle of college for me. In my case, that meant I didn't hear about it at all. It was a busy time with lots of non video game distractions, but I did play some PS1 games. There were people playing GoldenEye on N64, but I didn't know anyone playing current gen PC games . . . like at all.

When I've gone back to try and understand the hype, it just looks like an MMO to me (been there, done that). I don't really get it.

FYI, I went to the forum this morning and it looks like there are issues with the 'updated' resolutions for some. Like, it really doesn't do anything at all.

I'm not entirely sure but my guess is they are just doing some kind of basic upscaling for the newer version. If you play the new one you'll notice it's aspect-corrected on widescreen monitors and it looks sharper, whereas the original version included is softer and incorrectly stretched out (just as if you played the original game on a widescreen monitor today). If there is indeed something wrong with the updated version, I'm curious to see how it's really supposed to look. I do know that when I have anisotropic filtering and anti-aliasing turned on, I really don't notice a difference.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/03/original-diablo-is-now-on-sale-for-10-drm-free-but-not-on-blizzards-app/

GOG's bundle comes packed with two versions of Diablo 1. The first is a "vanilla" version, which runs on the game's 1.09b codebase with only one noticeable tweak: a scaling fix to ensure that the game renders at its original 4:3 screen ratio, no matter your display size (even though it otherwise transforms your screen in a way that resizes background windows in Windows 10). In comparison, trying to run the game via a mix of the original CD-ROM and official patch files can lead to a stretchy screen, should you not install any third-party mods.

The second included version is a DirectX-fueled build of the game, whose extra tweaks were built entirely in-house by GOG. Among these are support for a variety of resolutions and refresh rates, a "borderless window" option, a v-sync toggle, a gamma slider, and a pair of visual filters: anisotropic filtering up to 16x and anti-aliasing up to 8x MSAA.

If a smeary-looking Diablo 1 experience sounds good to you, go ahead and toggle that MSAA. But purists will appreciate another option in the menus: "integer scaling," which guarantees that the game's original pixels map to a 1:1 ratio, in all of their pixellated, 16-bit color-depth glory. In GOG's "DX" version of Diablo 1, the anti-aliased version does feel slightly smoother in motion, but the game's art style and animations were never meant to be covered in pixel-obscuring Vaseline. Thus, make sure to enable integer scaling.

I can clarify it as I have seen the comments on their own site within that first hour and answers.

1) The resolution thing is a bit of a misleading dumb comment. They didn't really bump the game up so you see more or that it's more clear, it's just that it can now handle a HD feed and it will pillarbox the game filling out the space instead of in some little box.

2) The updated version bombs demanding a CD. They made an error, one I knew how to fix having my experience with the legit game as I too have the D1/2 Battle chest.

To fix the problem, it's wanting a CD, you may not have one. But, you have the file they forgot to duplicate. The base Diablo directory is the original release, but a subdirectory /dx is the GoG version. They forgot to copy over the 500MB or so DIABDAT.MPQ file. Copy and paste that into /dx and it will run just fine without the disc being needed.

GoG forum mods/team members have pointed out you can use the Bezelbub HD mod and also the Hell mod too with their own files to play those expansion/change up style projects those two groups created but it may take a bit of tinkering on your own to get there as the game in either space is the legit release and it takes it fine.

Also I missed it, but I read hours later that the deal was already bigger. Warcraft 1 and 2 are coming next. I hope they go further into their PC back library. I know some of it is hiding (kind of) for free on their site as it is now in a buried legacy space, but it would be nice if they put Lost Vikings and Blackthrone up for sale too. Lost Vikings on their site already is security code hack patched and running DOSBox, and the other is using a WIndows release of the game. They do have Rock & Roll Racing, but it's the SNES rom +zsneswin (old build.)

When I've gone back to try and understand the hype, it just looks like an MMO to me (been there, done that). I don't really get it.

When it was released I was a die-hard CRPG fan and it wasn't rpg enough for me. Now that I'm a die-hard roguelike fan it's not roguelike enough for me :)

Still, I do recognize it as a classic, from the "quality Blizzard" days. Shame it all has been WoWserised later on.

I did play the PS1 port briefly, was surprised at how playable it was on the controller despite it's mouse-oriented gameplay.

• Like 2

Guys, I know Battle.Net is included in this package, but don't put software from 1996 online. GoG hasn't touched the net code.

BTW according to this article (which goes into more depth on the topic of Classic B.net), GoG/Blizzard will release WarCraft 1 and 2, too. I hope War2 is the Battle.net edition not because of B.net itself, but because that version ran on Windows where the original version ran in DOS.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/03/original-diablo-is-now-on-sale-for-10-drm-free-but-not-on-blizzards-app/

It probably is the Battle.net edition because it already works perfectly in Windows 7-10 64bit. I own the game as picked it back up last year and it's great on there without issue so it would be a minimal job to make it right for GoG distribution, though who knows if Blizzard has some weird say in a contract it could be the DOS/Win9x release.

Wow, now I'm really looking forward to this! Would be nice to be able to run from the same B.net Launcher as the other Diablo games but at least we finally got a digitally available copy that runs on Windows 10.

Edit: It's funny to me how their marketing emails always arrive in my inbox about 20 minutes after I hear about the updates someplace else. When I read "period-appropriate 20FPS SVGA graphics" I was like ... erm, I don't think I want that. Thank goodness right next door is "or play an updated version..." :lol:

Oh please don't get me started on how gamer manchildren only want to have pixelated graphics on flatscreen displays which look far worse than on the original CRT monitors...

Guys, I know Battle.Net is included in this package, but don't put software from 1996 online. GoG hasn't touched the net code.

BTW according to this article (which goes into more depth on the topic of Classic B.net), GoG/Blizzard will release WarCraft 1 and 2, too. I hope War2 is the Battle.net edition not because of B.net itself, but because that version ran on Windows where the original version ran in DOS.

In that Ars article, there was a detail reason for 'not' using classic Battle.net for playing online since it opens your ports wide open for online attacks. Maybe it might be better to run in some kind of sandbox or virtual machine...

I played with all those graphics settings, and that one for integer scaling was nice over stock standard as it just seems off. But what I found odd was cranking up the other 2 settings with AF 16x and MSAA 8x, it just softened the visuals up enough it felt like playing on an old period CRT or even like the softeness the PSOne add-on LCD does to PS1 games so they feel less jaggy. I quite liked it so I left it turned on.

I played with all those graphics settings, and that one for integer scaling was nice over stock standard as it just seems off. But what I found odd was cranking up the other 2 settings with AF 16x and MSAA 8x, it just softened the visuals up enough it felt like playing on an old period CRT or even like the softeness the PSOne add-on LCD does to PS1 games so they feel less jaggy. I quite liked it so I left it turned on.

2x scaling with 50% scanlines or bust :lol:

• Like 1