IGNORED

A new gadget (just for the sake of it) using...

Omega-TI

Sometimes thinking up crazy ideas can lead to new and usable products... down the line. Over the past couple of years we've ended up with UberGROMS and FinalGROMS for the cartridge port, TIPI's and other stuff that works with the side port...

... but what about the joystick port & video port?

I'm sure a new plug & play device could be devised that works with them. The joystick port could be the connection point for the new and yet unknown item, while the RF port could be used to steal some power (if necessary).

... but what would this item be?

Activate your imaginations! What do we not yet have? What would be cool to have? Maybe by this time next year we could have the next new thing to play with.

New homebrew software that makes use of the MBX hardware would be pretty cool, but I guess it is way too complicated and the target group is also too small.

There could be lots of things, simple to large and everything in between. With the right software on the TI, anything is possible and with all of the modern modular gadgets like Arduinos, Beaglebone Blacks, I2C devices the sky is the limit. I just know SOMEBODY here will have THE idea!

New homebrew software that makes use of the MBX hardware would be pretty cool, but I guess it is way too complicated and the target group is also too small.

What i want to see is a hardware replacement for the mbx, probably Raspberry Pi based.

It would need to interface like the original through connections to the jostick and CS1 port, but i really don't see why it could not theoretically be done by a skilled/willing enough programmer.

The Pi even has touch screen support, so we could layout the mbx's system buttons and overlay graphics and have the user touch the desired spot to activate the correct button.

Edited by jrhodes
  • Like 5

The Pi even has touch screen support, so we could layout the mbx's system buttons and overlay graphics and have the user touch the desired spot to activate the correct button.

Hey, that is kind of a cool idea! It would be smaller than an MBX, so more practical to use, and with an LCD touch display, no need for physical overlays.

Since it's in a Pi, it could also be tasked for numerous other ideas... yet to be mentioned... or even thought of.

• Like 1

That's pretty nitfy and cheap! It's pretty small though, but even then for the portability aspects it's cool... and the power to run it could be taken off the TI itself.

Thanks for the heads up!

post-35324-0-18230600-1552069957_thumb.jpg

yes I got one and use it on my workbench as well.. after someone demo'd it at the chicago group

Greg, have you taken power for it off the 5 pin DIN on the back of the TI? It seems like making an adapter for this screen that supplies power and video might sell a couple. If you are up to it, I'll buy one.

Greg, have you taken power for it off the 5 pin DIN on the back of the TI? It seems like making an adapter for this screen that supplies power and video might sell a couple. If you are up to it, I'll buy one.

I should try that.. the video cables I have don't break out those pins but I'm sure I can make something pretty easy recycling a rf modulator cable, as I have a GIANT BOX of those..

• Like 1

I should try that.. the video cables I have don't break out those pins but I'm sure I can make something pretty easy recycling a rf modulator cable, as I have a GIANT BOX of those..

Excellent! I'm sure it'll work as you have the monitor to test it on. The cable does not have to be too long as I plan to set the monitor on the TI itself. A provision for audio out in the adapter would be nice too. Let me know when it's done and I'll send you the money! THANKS!

For a cheap little monitor, maybe these << cheap little speakers >> would be adequate?

NOTE: Since you are wiring these up, a female stereo out (even though it's mono) would make it compatible with most speakers out there.

It's getting here faster than I thought it would. Looks like I'll have to get the unmodified console out of the closet sooner than later.

Once I get the adapter I'll be in business.

post-35324-0-14393900-1552485643.jpg

Getting a stock backup console ready for the micro monitor...

... still have not figured out what I'll do for sound, prefer something external and plug in ready, but really small. Anyone have any ideas?

I got one of these, works great, uses usb power to charge internal battery: https://www.amazon.com/Rokono-Speaker-iPhone-Player-Laptop/dp/B007NJ3SIM/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=mini+speaker+bass&qid=1552976974&s=gateway&sr=8-3good sound quality and loud

also the dollar store has little speakers, no vol control tho takes AAA batteries.. had both at PRGE..

• Like 1