IGNORED

Problem Playing Original Xbox Game on 360

I just found out that you can play original Xbox games on the 360 and since I have a copy of Buffy the Vampire Slayer in my collection I wanted to play that really bad. Apparently, that game's supported on a list I found online (I think Wikipedia has a pretty comprehensive list of compatible games.) But as soon as I try to launch the game on my 360, I get an error message saying that it's not supported. The only thing I can come up with is that as a requirement to play original Xbox games on the 360, you need an official HDD. I think I read that somewhere and I hope someone here can double check that. The 360 I have has an unofficial HDD installed with a bunch of game, so maybe the hard drive is full? Since I've never played an original Xbox game on the 360 I don't know how that works. I don't know if the game just launched or if I need to install something, so if anyone here can help me out, I'd appreciate it.

Some games were added later. You have to update your 360 to the latest version to get the full list of compatible games.

I have updated it to the latest version. I mean, I'm always connected to the internet and the 360 kind of forces you to do so whenever there's a new update anyway. It's weird that it doesn't work at all.

You need to have the "Backwards Compatability Update - November 2007" installed. Which Microsoft no longer offer/have on their site.

Here are the files, and use the same method of a USB system update to install:

Xbox Original Compatability.txt

Xbox 360 Backwards Compatability Update - November 2007.zip

Edited by Torrax

Someone correct me if I'm wrong (it's been a while), but I believe each game needs to be patched individually as well, requiring you to have your 360 connected to the internet when you insert an original Xbox disc. I remember back when I used the feature, each compatible title would download a small update file before the game would work.

• Like 1

You need to have the "Backwards Compatability Update - November 2007" installed. Which Microsoft no longer offer/have on their site.

Here are the files, and use the same method of a USB system update to install:

I did what you told me and I get a red ring with a weird error code (it isn't the infamous red ring of death, the console just freezes.) I have no idea if I'm doing something wrong. I extracted the core file and put it in the flash drive, connected it to the 360, restarted it and the error code happens. Do you know if I'm doing anything wrong?

Your unofficial HDD might also be missing a hidden partition that is needed to install this file. Lots of unofficial drives offered on E-Bay are often missing the proper partion layout required for this to work.

--------

XB360 Slim / 750 WD Black (WD75000BPKT) / 500GB useable

• Like 3

I don't think it works anymore. I believe it was removed from the 360 long ago and it won't pull the game patches since the 360 is unsupported now also.

Every statement in this post is incorrect.

The most likely reason for this issue is the unofficial HDD.

• Like 1

Here's a XB360 HDD upgrade YouTube video. Around the 11min mark is the Backwards-Compatabiliy partition restoration. You do need a copy of this which can be found on the net, or from an original MS drive. Note: you need an older XP/Win7 system for HDDHACKR to work. Also you can use Xplorer 360 to see if partition 2 and its contents are on your unofficial drive (use the appropriate version for the size of your drive).

Edited by Torrax

Remember that bc was never fully supported, and spotty at best. While some games got added, some got removed as well. It's pretty hard to find a proper comprehensive compatibility list due to most lists just rolling in the new additions while neglecting to remove the subtractions.

The Wikipedia backwards compatibility list after years of what amounted to vandalism (People for years were adding things that worked on their hacked 360, games were listed that weren't noted as working in any region, and other such nonsense.), was cleaned up a year or so ago for at least the North American list (Unsure about Europe/Japan).

So that list is now accurate and based off Microsoft press releases. And even games like Tecmo Arcade Classics that officially disappeared off the list yet still work (I suspect that one was due to the bug that never got fixed that made it work only if your 360 was set to SD/ED resolutions), are noted the last I checked. I think even Richard Burns Rally is listed as compatible in North America thanks to sticking so close to official Microsoft data to restore the list, despite the fact that the publisher cancelled production of the North American localization the day before the disc replicating plant was to make the North American discs. It had already joined the BC list in a slightly earlier update before its scheduled release, so it's listed despite never being available to NA consumers.

I like to say that 10% of the Xbox library was truly compatible. 50% won't boot on an unmodified 360 and of the other half that did work, I'd estimate based off spending time in 30-40 games through the years when bored (I own several original Xbox systems, so I've never relied on the 360 for playing original Xbox games), that only 20% of those that officially work were problem free enough to be worthwhile playing on a 360. It's a nice option here and there, but much like the Xbox One's excellent original Xbox compatibility, it's only a solid option for a small subsection of the library.

Incidentally, I'd bet good money that Torrax called it. That's the obvious answer after the topic creator said he's using an unofficial HDD. The hard drive bootleggers always left that partition off.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong (it's been a while), but I believe each game needs to be patched individually as well, requiring you to have your 360 connected to the internet when you insert an original Xbox disc. I remember back when I used the feature, each compatible title would download a small update file before the game would work.

I believe when he gets his HDD situation sorted, inserting one original Xbox game off the BC list on a system connected to Xbox Live should trigger the full collection of emulation profiles to install to his HDD's backwards compatibility partition.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...