Photo

Bottom line for PS1 Classic?

71 replies to this topic

#26 save2600 OFFLINE  

save2600

Quadrunner

• 15,667 posts

Posted Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:53 PM

When they hit $20 i'll snap one up and put it on a shelf somewhere.

Same here. It'll sit alongside the NES and SNES mini's I have, that I haven't even opened yet and probably never will. :lol:

#27 atarilovesyou OFFLINE  

atarilovesyou

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,609 posts

Posted Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:17 PM

Same here. It'll sit alongside the NES and SNES mini's I have, that I haven't even opened yet and probably never will. :lol:

Why not crack em open? Just one of those things?

#28 save2600 OFFLINE  

save2600

Quadrunner

• 15,667 posts

Posted Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:50 AM

Why not crack em open? Just one of those things?

Yeah, pretty much. Ended up getting a Pi setup that seems to be just fine as far as 'compromised gaming' goes.  

#29 jhd OFFLINE  

jhd

Stargunner

• 1,860 posts

Posted Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:53 AM

Is Wal-Mart internally consistent on prices? In other words, is it worth the effort to try a different store elsewhere in the city in hopes of landing a lower price?  

To answer my own question, I made the long trek to a different Wal-Mart store yesterday. 

There was a significant price difference -- the PlayStation Classic there was priced about $50 higher at Cdn$126! (US$95)

#30 Austin OFFLINE  

Austin

Quadrunner

• 13,011 posts

Posted Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:31 PM

To answer my own question, I made the long trek to a different Wal-Mart store yesterday. 

There was a significant price difference -- the PlayStation Classic there was priced about $50 higher at Cdn$126! (US$95)

One would hope Wal-Mart would be willing to price match their own web site.

#31 0078265317 ONLINE  

Quadrunner

• 6,638 posts

Posted Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:09 PM

Target is 40 now.

https://www.target.c...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

#32 NE146 OFFLINE  

NE146

Dumbass Atari Fan

• 16,059 posts

Posted Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:20 PM

I've had one since they hit $60 but I have yet to even open the box to be honest.

#33 scotty OFFLINE  

scotty

Moonsweeper

• 481 posts
  • I have, but have **YOU** played Atari today?

Posted Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:13 AM

Dudes....  This is so simple to add games too.  All you do is write a small file to a flash drive, add games, and put it in to the USB port of the PS Mini.  No hardware mods, no voiding your warranty, nothing.   I had a spare 32GB Flash drive laying around, and stuffed 65 games on it and they all play fantastic.  For you cheap clowns saying it is not worth it, GET A JOB!!  It is worth every penny!  Every game I have tested plays great.  Yes, I have 3 real original playstations, and a boatload of Raspberry Pi's including the 3B Plus. You can not beat it for the price!!  

#34 R.Cade OFFLINE  

R.Cade

Stargunner

• 1,309 posts

Posted Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:18 AM

I've tried that before at my local store and they would not.

#35 save2600 OFFLINE  

save2600

Quadrunner

• 15,667 posts

Posted Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:28 AM

I've tried that before at my local store and they would not.

Just a few days ago, I had Walmart price match a TV/DVR tuner off their site. It was the exact same model, just $7 cheaper. The clerk at the electronics counter told me they usually "can't do that here" (implying I'd have to go to Customer Service), but whipped out her phone, verified what I had seen and continued to ring me up with the adjusted price. It was kind of a "big deal" and all, but yes... they most certainly can price match when all the stars are in alignment. :lol:

#36 Austin OFFLINE  

Austin

Quadrunner

• 13,011 posts

Posted Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:57 PM

I played the stock unit quite a bit and found the biggest issue with it is the 50hz PAL games. Had those not been on there I feel the unit would have been much better received. The NTSC titles play well. Analysis by guys like Digital Foundry show there are some weird frame timing issues, but it's so subtle and PS1 games run so inconsistently from game to game under normal circumstances anyway that it's unlikely anyone will notice. At $40 with the ease of adding titles and the included controllers you get, it's tough to beat as an all-in-one HDMI PS1 solution.

Edited by Austin, Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:58 PM.

#37 Atariboy OFFLINE  

Atariboy

Quadrunner

• 7,804 posts
  • River Raider

Posted Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:08 PM

While I believe it's still corporate policy to price match, the caveat is that it's up to the discretion of the individual store. And at least down the road from me, my Wal-Mart discontinued all price matching about two years ago and has even posted signs such as in customer service and in electronics. 

A bizarre and very consumer unfriendly decision, particularly when you're just trying to get the best price that Wal-Mart themselves offer. Instead, one around here now has to order at Wal-Mart's website and have it shipped or do site to store when there's a substantial savings in the online price compared to the store price. 

The price of living in a rural area with no other department store. But what they forget with their brick & mortar monopoly is that there's substantial online competition these days and while they don't have to worry about someone like myself driving across the street to shop at Target instead, there's always online shopping.

Edited by Atariboy, Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:12 PM.

• jhd likes this

#38 Austin OFFLINE  

Austin

Quadrunner

• 13,011 posts

Posted Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:19 PM

A bizarre and very consumer unfriendly decision, particularly when you're just trying to get the best price that Wal-Mart themselves offer. Instead, one around here now has to order at Wal-Mart's website and have it shipped or do site to store when there's a substantial savings in the online price compared to the store price.

Yeah, that's very consumer unfriendly. Just about any other place I go to, even smaller organizations like Micro Center, will price match without question. It's pretty asinine that Wal-Mart gives people trouble with it, even when matching to their own website. It's illogical.

#39 atarilovesyou OFFLINE  

atarilovesyou

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,609 posts

Posted Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:20 PM

I picked mine up for 50 CDN the other week, have yet to power it up. Soon

Anybody have some good ideas for a carrying case? I liked the RDI ones for the Nintendo minis but so far haven't seen anything yet along those lines.

#40 Flojomojo OFFLINE  

Flojomojo

You can't handle the truth. No truth-handler, you.

• 16,209 posts
  • I deride your truth-handling abilities.

Posted Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:19 PM

I picked mine up for 50 CDN the other week, have yet to power it up. Soon
Anybody have some good ideas for a carrying case? I liked the RDI ones for the Nintendo minis but so far haven't seen anything yet along those lines.

I got one of these, along with an iron-on PlayStation patch, per this thread.
https://www.reddit.c...n_classic_case/

#41 amiman99 OFFLINE  

amiman99

Stargunner

• 1,259 posts

Posted Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:58 PM

I got my PS1 Mini for $40 at Walmart few weeks ago, got it modded with Bleemsync.Loaded bunch of games to my 32GB cheap WMart USB stick and it works great.

I played few new PS1 games using the built in emulator and Retroarch, both worked fine to my untrained eye.

I also played NES, SNES, 32X, and Arcade, all those works pretty good. I'm pretty happy that 32X works great, because I hate to setup the real thing.

The N64 games were too slow, the Lynx did not work, just froze my console.

So, for $40 it is a great machine, maybe nicer then my Rpie setup, more pro looking.

Go get it people!

#42 atarilovesyou OFFLINE  

atarilovesyou

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,609 posts

Posted Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:13 PM

I got one of these, along with an iron-on PlayStation patch, per this thread.
https://www.reddit.c...n_classic_case/

Looks like a strong possibility, and my concern for scratching the top of the deck with the controllers seems taken care of by a mesh bag that rests between the case halves...have you had any issues with it?

Hmmm...looks like no shippimg to Canada. Drat.

Edited by atarilovesyou, Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:16 PM.

#43 Flojomojo OFFLINE  

Flojomojo

You can't handle the truth. No truth-handler, you.

• 16,209 posts
  • I deride your truth-handling abilities.

Posted Mon Apr 1, 2019 4:37 AM

No issues. There are others like it on amazon, they're all fairly similar foam core with semi-hard shell; I use something similar for my mini Nintendos. I'll bet there's an amazon Basics case that will ship to you. They're all made in China and the only real difference is the lining.

#44 0078265317 ONLINE  

Quadrunner

• 6,638 posts

Posted Thu Apr 4, 2019 6:15 PM

https://www.bhphotov...BwE&lsft=BI:514

#45 scotty OFFLINE  

scotty

Moonsweeper

• 481 posts

Posted Tue Apr 9, 2019 10:22 AM

I bought a second one as a spare.  The 2 USB Controllers alone are worth the price.

#46 scotty OFFLINE  

scotty

Moonsweeper

• 481 posts

Posted Tue Apr 9, 2019 10:23 AM

So, for $40 it is a great machine, maybe nicer then my Rpie setup, more pro looking.

Go get it people!

AGREED!!!

#47 0078265317 ONLINE  

Quadrunner

• 6,638 posts

Posted Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:18 PM

I also found this knockoff with 620 games.

https://www.ebay.com...redirect=mobile

#48 Austin OFFLINE  

Austin

Quadrunner

• 13,011 posts

Posted Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:28 AM

FYI, while the PS1 Classic controllers are USB, it's good to know they are recognized by older versions of Windows as typical USB pads. I have been using them with my Windows '98 retro-machine and they work excellent.

Edited by Austin, Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:29 AM.

#49 derFunkenstein OFFLINE  

derFunkenstein

Stargunner

• 1,478 posts

Posted Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:50 PM

I just paid $28 for a PlayStation Classic from antonline. If you search Google Shopping you'll find it for $35 and then there's a promo code if you've not bought anything in April from Google Shopping good for 20% off - APRSAVE19

Now I need to get the 8bitdo adapter which I'll pair a Dual Shock 3 to, and prep one of my spare 64 GB flash drives with games. I'll sell my modded PS1, since that system isn't important to me. 

#50 0078265317 ONLINE  

Quadrunner

• 6,638 posts

Posted Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:21 PM

I just paid $28 for a PlayStation Classic from antonline. If you search Google Shopping you'll find it for $35 and then there's a promo code if you've not bought anything in April from Google Shopping good for 20% off - APRSAVE19

Now I need to get the 8bitdo adapter which I'll pair a Dual Shock 3 to, and prep one of my spare 64 GB flash drives with games. I'll sell my modded PS1, since that system isn't important to me.

But how much was shipping?

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users