Photo

Mcwill install help

8 replies to this topic

#1 As3rox OFFLINE  

As3rox

Combat Commando

• 5 posts

Posted Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:33 AM

Hi I hope someone maybe able to help, I purchased a lynx2 at a carboot and really don't think the chap really knew what he had, anyway it had a mcwill LCD in it works sort of but displays lines from top to bottom and colour is off,

IMG_0194_zpspyggllvs.jpg

I'm thinking it was done without doing the caps I have completely unsoldered the screen and had to shorten the wires as I could install two screens with the amount that was used, it's still the same. Iv checked the power and it's a steady 4.8 volts i have tried a variety of games and all display these lines, also pressing the backlight button just makes the screen go blank and not change the screen mode, I have disabled vga and connected a wire from menu to gnd.

If anyone has seen this before any information on how to fix it if I can would be greatly appreciated

J

#2 necrocia OFFLINE  

necrocia

Moonsweeper

• 432 posts

Posted Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:00 PM

It looks like it's not getting all of the colour channels, have you done a recap now or just shortened the wires and removed VGA?

#3 As3rox OFFLINE  

As3rox

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 5 posts

Posted Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:52 PM

Iv ordered recap kit hopefully I'll get it tomorrow, Iv have just shortened wires and removed vga. I have also ordered some ribbon cable as all these wires flopping around is doing my head in.

Would bad caps stop some of the colour channels?? I have had a good look at it loos like it has been recapped but because of the state of all these wires I don't think I can trust if a: the right caps have been used and b: the solder joints are good.

#4 necrocia OFFLINE  

necrocia

Moonsweeper

• 432 posts

Posted Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:57 PM

Not entirely sure but recap is worth doing. I've come across cold solder joints even in my own Lynx so that could be worth checking out.

#5 As3rox OFFLINE  

As3rox

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 5 posts

Posted Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:14 AM

Well finally got round to recapping and reinstalling mcwill with better wire, still no change have a lynx 1 but not keen on testing the mcwill screen in

there. so I think im going to have to call it dead

#6 necrocia OFFLINE  

necrocia

Moonsweeper

• 432 posts

Posted Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:50 AM

Have you tried to send a message to McWill on these forums? He will know what the issue is most likely.

#7 As3rox OFFLINE  

As3rox

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 5 posts

Posted Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:56 PM

lol I didn't want to bother him but will give it a shot thank you for you help and input

#8 arkleyjoe OFFLINE  

arkleyjoe

Space Invader

• 21 posts

Posted Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:31 AM

I had a similar problem with my screen and it turned out I had attached D0 and D1 to the wrong pins on the Lynx. They were both 1 pin off where they should have been. I would check the wires and pins are all correct.

#9 As3rox OFFLINE  

As3rox

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 5 posts

Posted Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:35 AM

Thank you I will check later when I get home.

Regards

J

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users