Photo

Worrying about my TiPi installation

8 replies to this topic

#1 jrhodes OFFLINE  

jrhodes

Moonsweeper

• 286 posts

Posted Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:25 PM

Well, i now have my case from Corei64, still waiting for the TiPi to get here.

The case came with a few extra parts, spacers of some kind? I have a big "L" shaped part, a little "L" shaped part, and a part that looks like a "1" with a small "F" behind it.

No idea what all those are for.

Also... I have been worrying myself almost sick, dreading the thought of improperly hooking up the TiPi <-> Pi wiring and frying something....

Could anyone please post really good, detailed steps and pictures of the whole process of mounting the case, and hooking up the wiring from TiPi to Pi. (I have the 3B+ model coming)

A good video (with out turbo speed time lapse) of the process would be good too.

-------------------------

Also, i know that extra sidecars (like sidecar disk drives and disk controllers etc.) plugged in use up a little bit of memory, i.e. a ti with only 32k and ti xb actually has a bit more memory then a ti with 32k+disks.

Just how much more memory is used up by plugging in the TiPi?

Could some one please post the result of issuing the SIZE command from TI XB with only 32k+TiPi and nothing else installed?

Edited by jrhodes, Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:46 PM.

#2 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

Hexacorerunner

• 13,805 posts

Posted Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:22 PM

This should help...

Attached Files

#3 jonecool OFFLINE  

jonecool

Chopper Commander

• 153 posts

Posted Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:25 PM

Here's a video I made last year installing it in the Corei64 case, there is some speed up but you can pause it if you need some stills.  I took the liberty of fast forwarding it for you, feel free to rewind if you want to see what you missed.  

https://youtu.be/5NPYWeCx-lk?t=97

You can see the results of the size command here.

A good video (with out turbo speed time lapse) of the process would be good too.

-------------------------

Also, i know that extra sidecars (like sidecar disk drives and disk controllers etc.) plugged in use up a little bit of memory, i.e. a ti with only 32k and ti xb actually has a bit more memory then a ti with 32k+disks.

Just how much more memory is used up by plugging in the TiPi?

Could some one please post the result of issuing the SIZE command from TI XB with only 32k+TiPi and nothing else installed?

Edited by jonecool, Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:44 PM.

#4 jedimatt42 OFFLINE  

jedimatt42

Stargunner

• 1,890 posts

Posted Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:36 PM

The cables go on the PI close to the USB and Ethernet end of the PI. Only the extreme other end (Raspberry PI pin for +5v pins 2 & 4) is dangerous.

https://www.jedimatt42.com/ti994a.html  <--- The pictures here should be clear enough to stay safe.

The diagram at the bottom of this page should be very clear... 

If this diagram is at all not clear, please explain what is ambiguous so I can fix it. 

-M@

#5 arcadeshopper ONLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 4,286 posts

Posted Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:41 PM

note: i also include that diagram with the tipi..fyi

#6 jedimatt42 OFFLINE  

jedimatt42

Stargunner

• 1,890 posts

Posted Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:41 PM

Ok, so at the bottom of that page, just before the diagram, I had a high-hazard message: "Warning connecting the cables wrong can destroy the CPLD..."  

In practice, I connect them all kinds of wrong (rotated, swapped, rotated and swapped) all the time... it is just that +5v end on the PI that kills the CPLD... I have ammended that message:

Warning: connecting the cables to the wrong end of the Raspberry PI can result in destroying the CPLD on the TIPI board.

-M@

#7 jrhodes OFFLINE  

jrhodes

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 286 posts

Posted Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:48 AM

Jonecool, somehow i totally missed your YT video... that clears up a lot :-)

#8 jrhodes OFFLINE  

jrhodes

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 286 posts

Posted Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:57 AM

This should help...

That does help, no mention of this on the ebay listing i purchased from.

#9 arcadeshopper ONLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 4,286 posts

Posted Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:42 PM

That does help, no mention of this on the ebay listing i purchased from.

ahh explains the lack of information.. everything you need to know is on matt's link.. 

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users