IGNORED

Worrying about my TiPi installation

jrhodes

Well, i now have my case from Corei64, still waiting for the TiPi to get here.

The case came with a few extra parts, spacers of some kind? I have a big "L" shaped part, a little "L" shaped part, and a part that looks like a "1" with a small "F" behind it.

No idea what all those are for.

Also... I have been worrying myself almost sick, dreading the thought of improperly hooking up the TiPi <-> Pi wiring and frying something....

Could anyone please post really good, detailed steps and pictures of the whole process of mounting the case, and hooking up the wiring from TiPi to Pi. (I have the 3B+ model coming)

A good video (with out turbo speed time lapse) of the process would be good too.

-------------------------

Also, i know that extra sidecars (like sidecar disk drives and disk controllers etc.) plugged in use up a little bit of memory, i.e. a ti with only 32k and ti xb actually has a bit more memory then a ti with 32k+disks.

Just how much more memory is used up by plugging in the TiPi?

Could some one please post the result of issuing the SIZE command from TI XB with only 32k+TiPi and nothing else installed?

Edited by jrhodes

Here's a video I made last year installing it in the Corei64 case, there is some speed up but you can pause it if you need some stills. I took the liberty of fast forwarding it for you, feel free to rewind if you want to see what you missed.

https://youtu.be/5NPYWeCx-lk?t=97

You can see the results of the size command here.

A good video (with out turbo speed time lapse) of the process would be good too.

-------------------------

Also, i know that extra sidecars (like sidecar disk drives and disk controllers etc.) plugged in use up a little bit of memory, i.e. a ti with only 32k and ti xb actually has a bit more memory then a ti with 32k+disks.

Just how much more memory is used up by plugging in the TiPi?

Could some one please post the result of issuing the SIZE command from TI XB with only 32k+TiPi and nothing else installed?

Edited by jonecool
  • Like 2

The cables go on the PI close to the USB and Ethernet end of the PI. Only the extreme other end (Raspberry PI pin for +5v pins 2 & 4) is dangerous.

https://www.jedimatt42.com/ti994a.html <--- The pictures here should be clear enough to stay safe.

The diagram at the bottom of this page should be very clear...

If this diagram is at all not clear, please explain what is ambiguous so I can fix it.

-M@

• Like 1

Ok, so at the bottom of that page, just before the diagram, I had a high-hazard message: "Warning connecting the cables wrong can destroy the CPLD..."

In practice, I connect them all kinds of wrong (rotated, swapped, rotated and swapped) all the time... it is just that +5v end on the PI that kills the CPLD... I have ammended that message:

Warning: connecting the cables to the wrong end of the Raspberry PI can result in destroying the CPLD on the TIPI board.

-M@

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Help?

I have not set up the pi yet. I have just mounted the 32k+tipi in the case, plugged it into the speech synth, and i also changed the crubase from the way mine came to the bottom set of jumpers.

Picture here shows how i received mine, i changed it to match home automation's picture in the next reply.

I have the 32k set to use ext. power and plugged into the unit, and i have ti extended basic in the cartridge port.

The ti powers on, normal beep, i have both basic and extended basic for choices.

I can go to basic just fine, but selecting extended basic hangs on a solid blue screen with a solid red lit up tipi light.

I do not have the pi connected yet.

I just thought that at this stage i should plug everything in and make sure the 32k still worked via the size command.

Can tipi not be hooked up without having a pi connected 24/7 and powered on?

All components except the case are from arcadeshoppers store (including power supplies).

Edited by jrhodes

yeah so plug in your pi with the software then it will at least error out if you have nothing pointed at dsk1. it can, but why wouldn't you leave it on? don't do disk accesses or it will hang..

The pi uses milliamps when it's not doing anything.. I leave mine on even when the ti's off.. they are designed to be on all the time, and need to be shut down properly when you are turning them off, don't just cut power.. CALL TIPI on the 4/a and do the halt function to shut down the pi from your ti

Greg

• Like 2

I realize that. I was thinking i damaged the 32k board removing it from its old case. It was fit in there really tight to the point i slightly bent the 32k to ti female connector removing it.

I straightened it out, mounted it and tipi in the new case, but for all i knew i had damaged it.

I am happy to report now though that the pi has booted, tipi has allowed me into XB, size is showing the proper readout, and CALL TIPI worked! Thats as far as i took it, i halted the pi, calling it good for tonight.

The pi will remain in place from now on. Actually, i probably need to see about powering the pi from some sort of battery, as there have been a fair number of power outages lately...

• Like 3