Photo

5200 OE HSC controller option poll

No replies to this topic

Poll: 5200 OE HSC controller option poll (3 member(s) have cast votes)

Shall we allow period correct (80s) 3rd party controls made for the 5200?

1. yes (2 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

2. no (1 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 zylon OFFLINE  

zylon

Quadrunner

• 6,890 posts
  • 5200 OE HSC Queen

Posted Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:19 PM

The aim of this mini-HSC is to provide the gaming experience of the 5200's short heyday as close as reasonably possible today. Currently, we only run official released games and use Atari-mfg controls (CX52 and trackball unit). Our question is shall we allow the alternate controllers that one could have bought at that time as well. In many ways, our controllers are what made the system distinctive in the 1st place. I'm considering allowing the 3rd party analog sticks, such as the Wico, but still no digital control adapters. We have few regular players, and this HSC is for those few wanting a completely level game played as we did so long ago. I've owned 2 Wicos, and while they worked fine, I felt no perceptible improvement or advantage to using one. Later on, I traded them for $ to get more games, lol... 

Anyways, we few diehards.... this question is for you.

Note- Modern replacements of flexis and better button contacts have been available for years and have been completely allowed as "direct replacement parts". The improved feedback fire buttons may help some here. I'm still playing with single dot buttons on a Rev-7 flexi, with a Rev-9 +triple dot buttons control as my 2nd.

Again, feel free to offer thoughts, compromises, or game suggestions. I've not refused a reasonable challenge game yet. ;)

Edited by zylon, Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:21 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users