IGNORED

Native Atari UK/GB software list

luckybuck

Hi together,

My dream is an Atari world, where all the software around the globe is digitized and preserved for generations to come.

To achive this goal, it would be cool to have each country specific Atari software saved.

One of the next logical steps in this regard is Atari UK/GB.

So, does anyone here has a list of software made native in the UK/GB?

I don't mean the US version of an Atari program sold in the UK/GB.

Thanks to Fred_M and Marsupilami we already have:

https://atariwiki.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Articles#section-Articles-GreatBritainAtariSoftware

Any update for this is highly welcome. :-)

Would be cool, to have UK/GB at 100 %.

BTW, does Atari Spain ever existed?

There is so much good software coming from our Spanish speaking users, we really shouldn't miss!

Thank you all so much in advance.

Edited by luckybuck
  • Like 1

One of the next logical steps in this regard is Atari UK/GB.

So, does anyone here has a list of software made native in the UK/GB?

The list on Atariwiki is a list of software released by Atari UK themselves, so it includes rereleases of US software by Atari UK. I think that list is correct and complete.

If you want to have a list of all software made by British programmers you will be in for a huge job and it will probably never be complete ;)

Edited by Fred_M

OMG, how do I declare Germany, that they are best 3rd place, when they deliver the missing stuff? So, that does mean, UK/GB is at 100 %, else herby we declare the UK/GB to be 100 % digitized with official Atari software coming from within the UK/GB.

Oh, oh, I have to get dressed warm...

Edited by luckybuck

No :grin:

The list of the UK is complete, but not all dumps (and pages) are available yet :-D

All the red entries must still be created and uploaded. I found a few original cassette tapes which are not uploaded yet. I will dump them as soon as possible.

So Germany can still be second ;)

• 2 months later...

> BTW, does Atari Spain ever existed?

Distribution was handled by Unimport. Not sure whether any original software appeared or just translated titles.

Packaging usually looked like this: https://www.todocoleccion.net/videojuegos-consola-atari/atari-video-matematicas-ud-416-unimport~x96027243

It would be great to have a full list of releases!

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

• Like 1

Yes, sure, but our friends in Spain, Mexico and so on have to come forward with this.

There is:

https://atariwiki.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Conversational%20SPANISH%20CX4120

Further, an incredible math cart! That is high end software from our spanish speaking friends! Fast Basic, dito. Please come forward. The time is now! Thank you all.

Distribution was handled by Unimport. Not sure whether any original software appeared or just translated titles.

Packaging usually looked like this: https://www.todocoleccion.net/videojuegos-consola-atari/atari-video-matematicas-ud-416-unimport~x96027243

It would be great to have a full list of releases!

Interesting! Thanks for sharing!

Looking at the packaging, am I right to say that Atari Spain did not officially made and distributed software for the Atari 8-bit? Was Uniport "only" a distributor for Atari Spain or did they made and distributed the software which they licensed from Atari? I am eager to know ;)

I don't believe Atari España existed prior to the ST, the market was probably deemed too small. Audelec handled the distribution of the VCS and 800 in the early days and it seems Unimport took over at one point, maybe in 1983 or so.

It isn't quite clear to me whether Unimport was just a distributor with a licensing agreement or some sort of subsidiary in disguise. Maybe it was created to circumvent some unfavorable aspect of the Spanish law in regard to foreign computers or software? The 8-bit computers weren't very popular in Spain but it appears Unimport still managed to translate and churn out a reasonable number of titles on disk and tape (plus some books). Some of the material was probably sold in South America as well but there was likely a small team of programmers behind all this.

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

Edited by www.atarimania.com
  • Like 2

And errmmm,

in the meanwhile I bought Thunderfox (Atari UK) tape, Nucleus (Atari UK) tape and made working CAS files of them. (You already have them.) Think Fred can do the scans of the tape-inlays and other stuff, so these two titles should appear at Atari Wiki in blue soon.

I also bought the software pack, which includes two disks:

1) The Home Filing Manager with HFM on diskside a, instructions on diskside b; it has no copy protection and can be copied with an ordinary sector copier; the program was available in Germany as "Karteikasten" and every pirate had it, but it was rarely ever used;

2) a) The Pay-off and b) Atari Graphics Demonstration program. The Pay-Off uses a copy protection, if we can call it that, it seems to have just one destroyed sector and the program does not look for it (made a sector copy, ignored the one error sector and the copy loaded fine and started; not sure however if at one point the program still looks for the protection); The Graphics Demonstration program is written in Basic for the most part, it is the enhanced or full disk version of another demonstration program available on tape (e.g. as tapeside B of Pole Position TX8034 by Atari - note the typo at Atari Wiki, which says TX8043)...

GFX demo from tape: http://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=4807

GFX demo from disk: http://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=3493

Will bring the software pack with me to the HATZ meeting so you can make copies and/or scans of it (and in case the Pay-off really checks for the destroyed sector at one point, you can also try to make a Kryoflux-compensator copy of it, if Erhard has the Kryoflux at the meeting). Will give the software pack to Fred afterwards, so if there is no scanner at the HATZ meeting, think he can do the scans for you... so in the end, this title should also appear in blue at Atari Wiki soon.

Edited by CharlieChaplin

I also bought the software pack, which includes two disks:

1) The Home Filing Manager with HFM on diskside a, instructions on diskside b; it has no copy protection and can be copied with an ordinary sector copier; the program was available in Germany as "Karteikasten" and every pirate had it, but it was rarely ever used;

2) a) The Pay-off and b) Atari Graphics Demonstration program. The Pay-Off uses a copy protection, if we can call it that, it seems to have just one destroyed sector and the program does not look for it (made a sector copy, ignored the one error sector and the copy loaded fine and started; not sure however if at one point the program still looks for the protection); The Graphics Demonstration program is written in Basic for the most part, it is the enhanced or full disk version of another demonstration program available on tape (e.g. as tapeside B of Pole Position TX8034 by Atari - note the typo at Atari Wiki, which says TX8043)...

I think you are referring to this software pack? ;)

post-6711-0-71649300-1558347762_thumb.jpg

I was already planning to upload it to the wiki ;) But please do a kryoflux dump, as I don't have one. I was planning to upload it without the bad sector....

• Like 3

Aha,

there is another Software Pack ?!? Mine has the number DX 1002 and contains two disks:

1) a) HFM

b) HFM instructions

2) a) The Pay-off

b) Atari Graphics Demonstration

It does NOT contain Paint and the manual does not come in red/white, but in black/white. Ah, okay, on the cover is printed "Atari Diskette Pack"... so thats the reason why it is different (a little)... but I think that "Slough, Berks" is british, isn't it ?!?

Remains the question, is DX-1002 (my pack) still required and is DX-1003 (the other pack) still required for Atari Wiki ?

Last not least, I do not own a Kryoflux...

post-3782-0-87098400-1558358393_thumb.jpg

post-3782-0-92920600-1558358404_thumb.jpg

Edited by CharlieChaplin
  • Like 2

Lol! So there are two packs!

I think I have the black and white cover too (but not the disks), but I thought it was not a separate pack. I never checked the product numbers however, so now I see there are two ;)

Both packs are made by Atari UK indeed ;)

You wrote that you are planning to go to the HATZ meeting, so please do take the pack. Hopefully Floppydoc brings his Kryoflux.

These are two separate releases, so I just added an extra entry for your pack on Atariwiki ;)

Edited by Fred_M
  • Like 1