IGNORED

What if...

Andrew Davie

This is a hypothetical only, so don't read anything into it. I'm just curious. Having promised buyers of the original Boulder Dash (2600) that it would not be re-released, ever, I am curious what it would take to in some way get the game in one form or another into more peoples' hands.

If every single BD owner said "yeah, no problem" well there's obviously no problem with a re-release. Tracking them down would be next to impossible though, so how would you even go about this. Set a time limit for reponses? If a single BD owner said "no way" that would scuttle the idea. Just out of curiosity any BD owners reading this who would say "NO!" (and that's perfectly OK!!!). Just takes one.

Just what options are there, with a minimal rewrite of code and of course getting permission from the new owners of the IP?

I can think of...

* buy back all the original BD carts so there's no problem with a re-release :) :) :)
* release the original in a basic "el cheapo" form, no nice manual, box... just a cart and instructions. AND permission from every single BD owner.

* use same code, but replace all the levels with new ones. again, a basic cart/instructions for release as cheap as possible.

* do a rewrite with DPC+ or whatever suits, and make it a new code-base (in which case a v2 of BD would be reasonable).

Any other suggestions as to how to fairly, and honourably make something happen?

• Like 5

It would be nice to make more copies of Boulder Dash available, as it's something I get asked about periodically. I still have a TON of manuals and posters for the game, so I wouldn't need to get those reprinted. I would have to print more boxes, and i would prefer to sell it with a box (or at least as an optional box). I wouldn't want the game altered in any way. However, it would be fun to do Boulder Dash II using the same engine, and that could be done regardless of what happens with the original Boulder Dash.

And it would be fun to see other games developed using that engine, since you and Thomas did such a tremendous job with it. :)

..Al

• Like 7

On one hand I'm the last person to be concerned about upsetting collectors. On the other hand a promise of "Limited Edition" was made and now it will be broken.

Yeah, this is why I rarely do releases like this, as I don't like having my hands tied. My goal is generally to make games available indefinitely, I don't like creating artificial rarities, and I don't really care that much about the "collecting" aspect of the hobby regarding homebrew games. I want people to be able to enjoy the games.

..Al

• Like 12

On the other hand a promise of "Limited Edition" was made and now it will be broken.

The difference to the usual "Limited Edition" was, that we had to do so due to legal obligations. This was never meant to create artificial rarity. And it took one whole year to sell.

• Like 1

I'm fine with a re-release. The "Limited Edition" will still always be a "Limited Edition". Just mark the new one in a way that differentiates it. This has happened with other homebrews that have had "Limited Editions" (special packaging, etc) but then had standard releases. For that matter, it's a pretty common practice across a lot of products that come out with "Limited Editions".

Of the options Andrew listed, my preference would be to see a DPC+ (or whatever ;) ) re-write of either BD or BD II, because I'd love to see the game with further enhancements, for example: smoother scrolling.

I probably should write a review of it someday... :roll:

Edited by Nathan Strum
  • Like 5

As a secondary owner, I am happy to finally have one in my collection, I did pay a nice chunk of change for mine so the original owner had some nice appreciation on his original purchase.

I suppose I wouldn't have a problem with a stripped down general release, although like others have stated something a little bit more different would be fairer to the Limited Edition owners.

Curious to see what happens with this possibility.

• Like 2

I own one, and would not have a problem with another release. I like the idea of having the updated release be different than the original. Such as different packaging or different levels like a Boulderdash II game.

You all did an amazing job on it and it really needs to be in more hands. Thanks for making this in the first place.

I have no problem with a re-release. Other collectibles do this all of the time. It should be specified as a re-issue and they should be some difference in the packaging. Beyond that, I can't see a problem. I would buy a couple of the re-release, too!

Could you do something in the code to indicate that this is not the original? Is there a title screen that could be altered to say "Boulder Dash MR" for Mass Release Edition or something, so that the original could never be mistaken for the ones sold to everyone? Would that be fair?

• Like 3

I am sure we would definitely alter the ROM and the packaging.

This would be good enough for me. :thumbsup: Like groundtrooper, I'm a secondary owner and would be fine with a re-issue as long as the ROM and or packaging reflect that its a re-issue.

This game is quite an achievement and should be made available to the masses if possible. :)

• Like 3

I would love to see the game re-released with a new splash screen or an added level but not replacing the original levels as they are timeless.

I missed the chance to get this game as always hoped one day there was a legal way to do another print run or version. I really like the idea mentioned about using a newer DPC+ for smoother scrolling, as it will really feel like a greatest hits version then.

I had heard that a new contract would have to be negotiated by someone with First Star and a minimum number of copies would have to be negotiated. I would hope that if people knew "Hey people this is going to be your only chance to get this game from this point on." I would have to imagine there would be enough interest to fulfill any contract, but that is just a guess.

This is the type of game that I am sure as more people discover as they become classic game enthusiasts, they will want..

If there is a chance of a new run, I am definitely in.

I would love to see the game re-released with a new splash screen or an added level but not replacing the original levels as they are timeless.

I missed the chance to get this game as always hoped one day there was a legal way to do another print run or version. I really like the idea mentioned about using a newer DPC+ for smoother scrolling, as it will really feel like a greatest hits version then.

I had heard that a new contract would have to be negotiated by someone with First Star and a minimum number of copies would have to be negotiated. I would hope that if people knew "Hey people this is going to be your only chance to get this game from this point on." I would have to imagine there would be enough interest to fulfill any contract, but that is just a guess.

This is the type of game that I am sure as more people discover as they become classic game enthusiasts, they will want..

If there is a chance of a new run, I am definitely in.

I am not really interested in any more deals for "limited runs". We didn't want it for the game in the first place, but it was the only way I could get negotiations to proceed and get anything released at all. Now that First Star is no longer the IP holder, I am hoping that the new owner will be more open to a cheaper and more accessible (i.e., not limited) version of the game in some form or another. I like the idea of a new title screen, perhaps new graphics and colours (fixing Thomas's preferred 'dark colours' to something a bit 'nicer', for example ;) ). I definitely wouldn't be interested in "cheapening" the original release by re-releasing the manual or using that beautiful artwork again (sorry, Albert!).

• Like 2

I am not really interested in any more deals for "limited runs". We didn't want it for the game in the first place, but it was the only way I could get negotiations to proceed and get anything released at all. Now that First Star is no longer the IP holder, I am hoping that the new owner will be more open to a cheaper and more accessible (i.e., not limited) version of the game in some form or another. I like the idea of a new title screen, perhaps new graphics and colours (fixing Thomas's preferred 'dark colours' to something a bit 'nicer', for example ;) ). I definitely wouldn't be interested in "cheapening" the original release by re-releasing the manual or using that beautiful artwork again (sorry, Albert!).

I am sure the German company, who now owns it, would be willing to make a deal (easier than before).

$0.02

• Like 3