36 replies to this topic

#26 The Usotsuki OFFLINE  

The Usotsuki

River Patroller

• 2,046 posts
  • Also called "Licca"

Posted Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:46 AM

:o

I figured that if the original rights holders had hung onto the rights this long they'd keep 'em until they all croaked.

#27 carlsson OFFLINE  

carlsson

Metagalactic Mule

• 8,646 posts

Posted Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:28 AM

For what it's worth, I believe Elektronite may re-release their Intellivision version of Boulder Dash (and/or a version for the Amico), which probably comes from making an agreement with the new IP holders. I don't know if it is advisable for AtariAge (or Andrew & Thomas?) to cooperate with another publisher of a different version in negotiations, or if all such contracts should be held separately.

Technically I don't know what the current engine is programmed to do, but I remember that Boulder Dash II may contain elements and functionality not present in the first game. This showcased itself by a myriad of level hacks on e.g. the C64 (and probably Atari 8-bit too) using the old BD1 engine while First Star commercially sold BD2. One of those hacks even got as far as FSS bought the rights and released it as BD3, though using an older engine than they already had.

#28 GoldLeader ONLINE  

GoldLeader

River Patroller

• 2,516 posts

Posted Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:04 AM

I own the original and would have no problems with a re-issue.   Like many others have said, I think a different box and/or label would be nice, just to differentiate in case someone cares about that....

#29 carlsson OFFLINE  

carlsson

Metagalactic Mule

• 8,646 posts

Posted Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:01 AM

Based on the cover art uploaded to Mobygames, they have ~21 editions of Boulder Dash (though not the 2600 version). Out of those, 13 feature the classic artwork with Rockford holding a diamond. The rest are split into 6 radically different designs including the NES which makes it look far more dangerous than the game really is.

https://www.mobygame...-dash/cover-art

I haven't followed the reasons why the Atari 2600 version has yet another cover art, but I suppose there is a good reason why it doesn't adhere to one of the existing ones. That is a thought for a re-release, to make one with the classic cover art if possible (again Elektronite managed to do it).

#30 Karl G ONLINE  

Karl G

Dragonstomper

• 793 posts

Posted Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:37 AM

It doesn't seem to me that doing a new release would be going against anything that was originally said.  People knew that the limited release was because of the negotiation with the IP holder, right?  It's only logical to assume that if that situation changed then more could be made (with a different box/artwork to distinguish for collectors of the original).

#31 Protestari OFFLINE  

Protestari

Dragonstomper

• 909 posts

Posted Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:48 PM

I would buy a re-release :)

#32 hizzy OFFLINE  

hizzy

Dragonstomper

• 969 posts

Posted Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:18 PM

A Pink Panther re-issue would be sweet, too! :D

Edited by hizzy, Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:19 PM.

#33 NostAlgae37 OFFLINE  

NostAlgae37

Chopper Commander

• 136 posts

Posted Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:09 PM

I like the idea of a new title screen, perhaps new graphics and colours (fixing Thomas's preferred 'dark colours' to something a bit 'nicer', for example ;) ).

This and a DPC+ enhanced rewrite sound great!  Why not make the graphics and gameplay even better than before, kind of like how the current demo of Aardvark far surpasses the earlier one that was released.  But I don't really have a say on the matter because I wasn't one of the buyers of the original limited release.

#34 Thomas Jentzsch OFFLINE  

Thomas Jentzsch

Thrust, Jammed, SWOOPS!, Boulder Dash, THREE·S, Star Castle

• 23,981 posts
  • Always left from right here!

Posted Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:50 AM

Call me old fashioned, but I prefer the extra challenge of not using DPC+/CDF. :)

#35 dark-aleph OFFLINE  

dark-aleph

Chopper Commander

• 176 posts

Posted Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:52 AM

As a first edition owner, I'd love for there to be a second edition. I wouldn't mind even if it was exactly the same. I want to talk about how great this game is without feeling bad for people who don't have the chance to play it!

When I bought it I wasn't aware of any assurances of limitation, only that it was very unlikely that First Star and the developers would agree on any further licensing deal. If any stronger assurances were made then I think they should be honoured on principle.

#36 Emehr OFFLINE  

Emehr

River Patroller

• 4,210 posts
  • Happiness is... a chomping Pac-Man!

Posted Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:13 AM

Original owner here. I have zero issues with a re-release. I hope it happens, actually! And if you decide to use a new label to differentiate it from the original run I would gladly offer my two entries that didn't make the cut during the label contest. Or we could have another label contest! :-D

Attached Thumbnails

• bdlabel.png

#37 DirtyHairy OFFLINE  

DirtyHairy

Dragonstomper

• 505 posts

Posted Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:46 PM

Call me old fashioned, but I prefer the extra challenge of not using DPC+/CDF. :)

I'm on the same boat. Boulder Dash as an impressive example what can be done without using an ARM, and I'd much rather experience it this way ;)

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users