Photo

Centipede is returning to arcades, but...

centipede atari classic remake videmption tickets

4 replies to this topic

#1 Shaggy the Atarian OFFLINE  

Shaggy the Atarian

Stargunner

• 1,285 posts

Posted Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:31 AM

Not as an amusement-only title, but as what I like to call "videmption" (for "video redemption"). The official name is Centipede Chaos. That all said, there is a good chance that this has a amusement-only/no tickets mode (like Galaga Assault and Space Invaders Frenzy have), although most locations that will grab it probably won't set it up like that. 

Chances are I'll have some hands-on time with this in Vegas in a couple of weeks, assuming it appears at a trade show there. If so, I'll be sure to get them to show me what the amusement mode is like, if it's there.

https://arcadeheroes...-location-test/

That said :

/

#2 redsteakraw ONLINE  

redsteakraw

Chopper Commander

• 191 posts

Posted Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:45 PM

Interesting they are using joysticks in a modern arcade game that is recreating a game that didn't use joysticks.  That is rich.  Oh well at this point I will take what I can get it is worth a play or two if I ever find it.

#3 Keatah ONLINE  

Keatah

Missile Commander

• 21,923 posts

Posted Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:33 PM

Interesting they are using joysticks in a modern arcade game that is recreating a game that didn't use joysticks.

Purity and accuracy and originality are all gonna be lost on today's audience. Besides the same'ol same'ol has been done 50 times before. There are many other avenues if you wanna play that way - the 80's original experience.

#4 Shaggy the Atarian OFFLINE  

Shaggy the Atarian

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,285 posts

Posted Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:11 PM

It could be worse...it could use light guns like the recent Space Invaders game did :P

#5 youxia OFFLINE  

youxia

Dragonstomper

• 814 posts

Posted Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:07 PM

Not as an amusement-only title, but as what I like to call "videmption" (for "video redemption"). The official name is Centipede Chaos. That all said, there is a good chance that this has a amusement-only/no tickets mode (like Galaga Assault and Space Invaders Frenzy have), although most locations that will grab it probably won't set it up like that.

I really do enjoy your modern-arcade-insider posts, please do keep'em up :)

Could you explain what is this video-redemption trend I see mentioned, and what all the different modes are (ticketless etc)? It's all greek to me since I don't think I have ever been in a modern arcade (I don't mean barcade).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: centipede, atari, classic, remake, videmption, tickets

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users