Photo

Combat bundled with Atari 2600 question..

Atari 2600 combat

8 replies to this topic

#1 Gyro OFFLINE  

Gyro

Combat Commando

• 6 posts

Posted Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:34 PM

Hello all -

I am wondering what years and what models of Atari 2600 systems came bundled with the Combat cartridge.  I know their are two versions of labels and the one I remember was the label with text only.  Or was it the only cartridge that ever came with it?   

Thanks, just trying to remember fuzzy memories.

#2 CapitanClassic OFFLINE  

CapitanClassic

Dragonstomper

• 598 posts

Posted Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:18 AM

According to
https://www.consolev...box-variations/

there were at least 7 Atari 2600 box variations (does not appear to include the Atari Jr. model). Of those 7, two variations only contain PAC-man or Space Invaders. The remaining 5 all come with Combat as a packin game (on Box includes both PAC-man and Combat)

#3 Cambouis de l'Atari OFFLINE  

Cambouis de l'Atari

Moonsweeper

• 291 posts
  • Also known as "Urbinoo"

Posted Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:37 AM

I got a pal asteroids+combat bundle, both were picture labeled.

Near sure my box showed a light sixer, so there is at least one more pack variation than shown through your link : )

#4 RichG1972 OFFLINE  

RichG1972

Dragonstomper

• 693 posts
  • I've played Atari today.....have you?

Posted Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:19 AM

Hello all -

I am wondering what years and what models of Atari 2600 systems came bundled with the Combat cartridge.  I know their are two versions of labels and the one I remember was the label with text only.  Or was it the only cartridge that ever came with it?   

Thanks, just trying to remember fuzzy memories.

SOME Atari systems such as the all black 2600 models came with COMBAT and PAC-MAN both:

child1.jpg

#5 Gyro OFFLINE  

Gyro

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 6 posts

Posted Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:38 PM

Thanks.  I had the sixer growing up but unsure if it was heavy or light.   Did that model come from Sears along with the text only Combat?

#6 RichG1972 OFFLINE  

RichG1972

Dragonstomper

• 693 posts
  • I've played Atari today.....have you?

Posted Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:46 PM

Thanks.  I had the sixer growing up but unsure if it was heavy or light.   Did that model come from Sears along with the text only Combat?

If the sides of your sixer were shaped identically to that of the 4 switch, then it was a LIGHT sixer, if they were more ROUNDED, then that was a HEAVY sixer

#7 Philflound OFFLINE  

Philflound

River Patroller

• 3,934 posts

Posted Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:02 PM

I haven't updated my site in a few years but this was the last count for cartridge and box variations.

28 cartridge variations: http://videogamevari..._cartridges.htm

14 box variations: http://videogamevari...ombat_boxes.htm

Not sure how many actually came with the system vs being sold on its own.

Phil

#8 atarilovesyou OFFLINE  

atarilovesyou

River Patroller

• 2,579 posts

Posted Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:56 PM

Are the majoeity of these variations due to different factories in different countries? It just seems like a lot of changes made iver a relatively short period of time...I guess it's good to keep in mind that the industry was still new. Can you imagine games in the 90s era and onward having that many variants?

#9 Philflound OFFLINE  

Philflound

River Patroller

• 3,934 posts

Posted Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:01 PM

Combat variations were made over a 9 year period. I wouldn't call that a short period of time. Most games (especially today) are made once. NES has a variety of variations too, which I hope to find a nice list.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Atari 2600, combat

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users