Photo

Don't meet your heroes (Yet Another Crowdfuning Sob Story)

picard

7 replies to this topic

#1 youxia OFFLINE  

youxia

Dragonstomper

• 829 posts

Posted Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:38 PM

It started with this...my-gaming-life-defining brilliance:

558734-rebelstar-raiders-zx-spectrum-scr164398-chaos-zx-spectrum-screenshot-i-su313610-laser-squad-zx-spectrum-screensho488244-x-com-ufo-defense-amiga-cd32-scre

And ended up with this:

Phoenix Point Fans Outraged Over Epic Exclusive Launch

seriously...shellshocked

............................................________
....................................,.-'"...................``~.,
.............................,.-"..................................."-.,
.........................,/...............................................":,
.....................,?......................................................,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:"........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}
...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../
...,,,___.`~,......"~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-"
............/.`~,......`-...................................../
.............`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....,__
,,_..........}.>-._...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,__......`,.................................
...................`=~-,,.,...............................
................................`:,,...........................`..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_..........._,-%.......`

Edited by youxia, Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:39 PM.

#2 Keatah ONLINE  

Keatah

Missile Commander

• 21,950 posts

Posted Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:56 AM

You can be assured Snapshot did what is financially best for themselves. The hell with you.

Look, peeps.. Just stay away from crowdfunding. If you don't you'll be a sucker one way or another.

#3 MCHufnagel OFFLINE  

MCHufnagel

Stargunner

• 1,671 posts

Posted Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:03 AM

Crowdfunding is more and more becoming a device to scam suckers. Just look at Atari as a prime example. If a product is good, it will come out one way or another. If it isn't, no great lose.

#4 youxia OFFLINE  

youxia

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 829 posts

Posted Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:07 AM

I'm not exactly new to this game. I watched a zillion of these things crash'n burn before. Only backed few, 3 or 4. Two of these were mainly to pay-it-back for the people from Looking Glass and this here Julian Gollop. Sure, I'd like the games to, especially Phoenix Point (Ultima turned out to be a turd) because it is super promising, but  Iwasn't really following it.

It is a slap in the face though because it's a guy who never came across as a greedy git, throughout his whole career, more of a humble, brilliant designer. It did blindisde me totally. Especially as I signed for the DRM Free option, which means  I can not access this game for a year at all (to me there's no difference between Epic and Steam, no matter what the others say). So, it's not exactly a scam, the game will come out, it's just it does stink of greed to high heavens. A bit like Elite Dangerous perhaps. It's also extremely disrespectful to people who bankrolled it in the first place.

Refund requested. FTS.

Edited by youxia, Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:11 AM.

#5 Flojomojo OFFLINE  

Flojomojo

I can mash potatoes

• 15,833 posts
  • I can do the twist

Posted Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:57 AM

"Don't meet your heroes" is how I felt when Llamasoft abandoned iOS without raising a finger to do any promotion, use a publisher, or anything different from when Jeff would mail out Amiga shareware on diskettes. They didn't make any money and were embittered about the whole platform. Kind of like the Gollop situation but in reverse. He's probably smarter to go where he knows (or st least believes) the money is.

Thanks for posting that link. Your anti-DRM stances are well understandable but I never quite understood the grief about the Epic Store. Thanks to that red and green table I can see that it has all the limitations of Steam but many fewer features.

As a way to give money to creators you like, can't beat crowdfunding, but they need to step it up and make it feel less exploitative and more accountable. I'm with Keatah, I'm completely off backing any new Kickstarters and have been for a while.

A couple recent examples:

ToeJam and Earl Back in the Groove just launched, but like 5 years behind what they originally wanted to do.

Fargoal 2 never got past beta on desktop, and now the original game is getting remastered via GameClub. But what about my donation back in 2012? Hosed, or as you say, FTS.

#6 youxia OFFLINE  

youxia

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 829 posts

Posted Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:08 AM

Gollop's game was already funded and is nearly ready to publish. He did not need the money to complete it. This switcheroo is just a giant greedy dick move, that's all. They could go with Epic anyway and distribute the game to backers by some other means (SendOwl or whatever). I think recent Metro exclusive Epic release was similar situation but they did respect the backers.

I'm not that much bothered by lack of  access to the game - I can pirate it, wait, apparently "delete Epic after downloading (and datamining me)" coz it is DRM Free but simple lack of integrity in somebody who I never suspected would do something like that.

As for that table, eh, I don't know the details but it looks like one of these heavily biased  tricks eg "why our razor is better than others". As if Steam wasn't collecting your data or something and so on.

#7 Tanooki OFFLINE  

Tanooki

Quadrunner

• 5,872 posts

Posted Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:36 AM

I thought crowdfunding and their ilk were always just a means to an ends, and basically to the backers mostly a scam of some sort, and many of them don't even require you to refund a backer if a product terms change or fails to be finished if good faith is shown.  I am sorry yet not, because I feel no pity for people who back stuff like this.  In the end took it in the butt, but you'll get your game at least, just not how you wanted it delivered.

I mean years ago in the earlier days MIghty09 seemed to work out so well, and then page after page, month after month, into the years of of asinine broken promises, delays, and lame changes while perpetually sucking up to fans with videos, texts and other bat patting and look what the end result was while trying to scam up even more cash for other projects before the first was done trying to ride off the coat tails of Inafune.  If that wasn't lesson enough not to teach people to ignore nameworthy people on these things who don't think they'll use that name to find better backing despite their word are kind of fools.

Sorry you feel burned but I guess it's kind of lesson learned as what they did is really crappy.  I think it's hard to find an honest kickstarted project on whatever service that actually gave what they promise, didn't change stuff beyond that realm, let alone delivered it on time or ahead either.

#8 Punisher5.0 OFFLINE  

Punisher5.0

River Patroller

• 3,881 posts

Posted Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:59 PM

Crowdfunding sucks bad. Its been years since Ive crowdfunded anything and you know what I have to show for it? Absolutely nothing, except for some sob emails.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: picard

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users