Photo

This is not Ultima (Atari 2600)

57 replies to this topic

#51 ZeroPage Homebrew OFFLINE  

ZeroPage Homebrew

Dragonstomper

• 676 posts

Posted Tue Apr 2, 2019 5:18 PM

We'll be featuring a new unreleased build of Penult LIVE on tomorrow's (Wednesday) ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 11AM PT | 2PM ET | 7PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Twitch Stream: http://twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

Games:

- Tower of Rubble (2019 WIP Update) by Dion Olsthoorn aka Dionoid
- Penult (2019 WIP) by Karl Garrison aka Karl G
- One on One (2019 WIP) by Edward Smith aka easmith
- A Roach In Space (2019 WIP) by John Von Neumann aka Vhzc

[EDIT] UPDATED WITH ARCHIVED SHOW:

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew, Thu Apr 4, 2019 1:29 PM.

#52 Karl G OFFLINE  

Karl G

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 852 posts

Posted Fri Apr 5, 2019 10:46 AM

I've updated the first post with the version of the game featured on the ZeroPage Homebrew channel on Wednesday.  Most notably, the castle map has been expanded, and a new map has been added for the nearby city.  There are also improvements to the line of sight code.

This is the last version that will use the Ultima 3 world map as I have switched to one of my own creation for further development.  This means that it may also be my last release for quite some time, as there's really no good way to release an RPG in small bits without revealing game secrets.

I am still looking for people to test this version on a Harmony Encore and/or an Unocart, since there may be a compatibility issue with the former.

#53 chewy OFFLINE  

chewy

Chopper Commander

• 176 posts

Posted Sat Apr 6, 2019 1:52 PM

god i should of got encore instead of standard harmony, but i loaded the earlier revision in stella and saw it.  so basically it looks exactly like a computer game- very impressive

#54 Karl G OFFLINE  

Karl G

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 852 posts

Posted Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:30 AM

Work is continuing on this game, now using my own world map.  I've also added two new city maps, and am beginning to add menus.

I noticed that reducing the color luminosity has made the flicker drastically less noticeable, but the colors still look good.  I'm feeling a lot more positive about how the end result will look.   :)

Since I'm using my own world map now, I'm not releasing a new ROM, since I want there to still be surprises when the game is complete!  Here are some screenshots of my current version.

New world map:

penult_21.png

penult_22.png

New cities:

penult_20.png

penult_25.png

Menus:

penult_23.png

#55 MemberAtarian OFFLINE  

MemberAtarian

Moonsweeper

• 280 posts

Posted Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:54 PM

I guess this will be one of my favorite games. :)

#56 Karl G OFFLINE  

Karl G

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 852 posts

Posted Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:25 AM

An update: the instability issue seen on the ZPH stream seems to be limited to the combination of that console with the Harmony Encore.  It works on the same console with an Unocart, and a Jr. with the same Encore cart.  I created a post asking if anyone with an Encore and a light sixer could replicate the problem, and one person tried it and was unable to do so.  I'm letting it go for now as a corner case until I hear any other reports of issues.

Anyway, that aside, development has been proceeding nicely.  I have menus working as well as simple dialog, and a stats screen.

penult_27.png

penult_28.png

#57 SpiceWare OFFLINE  

SpiceWare

Draconian

• 12,809 posts
  • Medieval Mayhem

Posted Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:04 AM

I created a post asking if anyone with an Encore and a light sixer could replicate the problem

See my reply, especially the bit after the screen shots.

#58 Karl G OFFLINE  

Karl G

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 852 posts

Posted Sat May 4, 2019 1:25 PM

I've started on combat, which will be a big task to complete.  Here is an early look at one combat screen.

penult_32.png

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users