Looks great especially on CRT! Do you have plans on making this into a full racing game?
Don't think so. I mean, not like this. There is too many limitations. This uses PMG for the road, that was the idea behind experiments. Outcome is like this:
- independent colors for the road and the car
- hardware merging of foreground and background
- independent positioning, no scrolling required
- allows for 1 frame rendering times
- limited road width
- extensive kernel code, inflexible (very hard to add slopes for example)
- impossible to do forks or more complex stripes on the road
- allows only one car with HW only. You want more cars, you are back to software rendering
- doesn't solve objects on the sides of the road at all, you would have to use software rendering
- even if you accept all limitation, the speed is just about right for 1 frame rendering, no reserve for more complex rendering
- not enough time to set both sides of the road on the same line, leads to artifacts. Can be somewhat controlled by camera angles, but it's not suitable for player control
I think the hardware approach is good for first person view games, like Elektra glide. It has the road in GFX, no other cars, and objects in PMG. High refresh rate, great sense of speed.
For third person view games I think it's better to go full software. Using PMG just for getting more colors. It would be way slower, but that's what I would do after playing with this.