Photo

Why do I need (or want) a Ultimate 1MB Upgrade?

10 replies to this topic

#1 bfollowell ONLINE  

bfollowell

Chopper Commander

• 187 posts

Posted Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:19 AM

I finally pulled my old 800XL out of 30 years of attic exile a few months back. I picked up an AtariMax SIO2PC-USB and a registered version of APE/ProSystem and am now the proud owner of an Ultimate Cart. I purchased a gently used 1050 with original Happy Upgrade. I still have plans for one of Lotharek's SIO2SD devices and a Sophia DVI upgrade. I really plan for that to be it. This will allow me to archive my old childhood/college Atari collection and relive all of my old childhood/college memories, as well as running pretty much every single game or application I would've ever wanted back in the day, all of which seem to be available on one Internet archive or another. I promised myself that I will not be that guy. I will not be that guy that can't pass up the next new thing. I will not be that guy that installs every conceivable upgrade just because I can. All that being said, I'm really starting to lean towards adding one of Lotharek's Ultimate 1MB Upgrades to my future upgrade list.

OK, here's what I know. It has SpartaDOS-X and a Real Time Clock module with battery backup. It has four OS ROM slots, so I can run as a different machine for improved compatibility; basically I could be every machine in the Atari lineup if need be. It has a memory upgrade configurable up to 1088k, which would allow me to run those few games and applications I wouldn't be able to run on my stock 800XL.

Am I missing anything? Why do I need it? Someone convince me one way or the other.

#2 flashjazzcat OFFLINE  

flashjazzcat

Quadrunner

• 14,493 posts

Posted Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:46 AM

See bullet-point list of features here:

https://atari8.co.uk...e/ultimate-1mb/

#3 bfollowell ONLINE  

bfollowell

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 187 posts

Posted Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:02 AM

Will do. Thanks flashjazzcat. Correct me if I'm wrong but, didn't I read on here somewhere that you had something to do with creating the current version of the Ultimate Cart menu, and possibly the Ultimate 1MB Upgrade menu & BIOS as well, since they look so similar.

Edited by bfollowell, Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:09 AM.

#4 tschak909 OFFLINE  

tschak909

River Patroller

• 3,222 posts

Posted Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:44 AM

It's invaluable. I have one on my 1200XL, and it makes my 1200XL into whatever I need for development testing. :)

-Thom

#5 flashjazzcat OFFLINE  

flashjazzcat

Quadrunner

• 14,493 posts

Posted Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:16 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong but, didn't I read on here somewhere that you had something to do with creating the current version of the Ultimate Cart menu, and possibly the Ultimate 1MB Upgrade menu & BIOS as well, since they look so similar.

Yes: I did the UI and a few other bits on the Ultimate Cart menu, and for that I recycled the font from the 'alt' U1MB firmware and SIDE loader (described in the link I gave you), which I also wrote.

There is a firmware update pending for U1MB, Incognito, and SIDE/SIDE2 which will cause the feature list to expand slightly. ;)

#6 scotty OFFLINE  

scotty

Moonsweeper

• 479 posts
  • I have, but have **YOU** played Atari today?

Posted Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:23 PM

My 800 desperately needs a heart transplant.  Still holding out hope for an Incognito 2. 

#7 _The Doctor__ OFFLINE  

_The Doctor__

Flux Capacitor Master Craftsman

• 6,718 posts

Posted Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:39 PM

I'd settle for the original incognito, I like cf cards and cf spinning disks. If the joyport mystery was solved completely i wouldn't even give a though towards an I-2.. sd cards die too much for my tastes.

#8 bfollowell ONLINE  

bfollowell

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 187 posts

Posted Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:54 PM

I've seen other mentions of the Incognito board, but I can't tell for certain what it is. From what little I've been able to find, I gather it's basically like the Ultimate 1Mb Upgrade but for the 400/800?

#9 flashjazzcat OFFLINE  

flashjazzcat

Quadrunner

• 14,493 posts

Posted Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:06 PM

More or less, yes.

#10 Kyle22 OFFLINE  

Kyle22

River Patroller

• 4,007 posts
  • Call my BBS! telnet://broadway1.lorexddns.net

Posted Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:15 PM

Incognito also has a slot for a CF hard drive. SSD or spinning, your choice.

Cart ports remain available (no need for SIDE2 cart).

#11 _The Doctor__ OFFLINE  

_The Doctor__

Flux Capacitor Master Craftsman

• 6,718 posts

Posted Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:18 PM

that and you can run a great deal more software :) XL XE type stuff.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users