Photo

Today (2019) what drive emulator would you recommend for 800XL?

35 replies to this topic

#26 TGB1718 OFFLINE  

TGB1718

Chopper Commander

• 102 posts

Posted Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:34 AM

I bought an adaptor plug with 2 USB power outputs and plug the Arduino (Sdrive) into that to power it up,

one of these things:-

#27 TGB1718 OFFLINE  

TGB1718

Chopper Commander

• 102 posts

Posted Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:35 AM

Oops picture didn't upload !!

#28 Peruchi OFFLINE  

Peruchi

Space Invader

• 14 posts

Posted Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:22 AM

It all depends on your budget. For me, the simplest solution was to order the UNO Cart from McRorie. But now I've just built the SDrive-Max (or UNO2SIO), which is showing to be the best solution so far. And it's dirt-cheap!

• slx likes this

#29 eegad OFFLINE  

eegad

Moonsweeper

• 377 posts

Posted Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:28 AM

Question - I've heard of SIO2SD but never really looked into it.  Can anyone confirm that it works without any problems with both Alternate Reality games (which use multiple disks,  plus a character disk).  I've been using Atarimax carts for 95% of my Atari gaming these past many years,  but my one gripe is playing Alternate Reality... For that I need to dig out and connect my old 1050s and use real disks.  If Lothariks SIO2SD works flawlessly with AR,  I think maybe it's time to treat myself to a new toy. 

#30 SS OFFLINE  

SS

Quadrunner

• 6,321 posts

Posted Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:51 AM

Can anyone confirm that it works without any problems with both Alternate Reality games (which use multiple disks,  plus a character disk).

The Alternate Reality games aren't really my thing but the SIO2SD *does* have 15 open drive slots to use.  You can fill all of them with their own ATR images and easily switch between them using the onboard buttons.  There are clean cracks of the Alternate Reality disks to be found in the the "8bit Preserved Software" torrent.  Someone who has played all the way through using their SIO2SD should confirm but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. 

#31 DrVenkman OFFLINE  

DrVenkman

River Patroller

• 4,082 posts
  • Back off, man! I'm a scientist.

Posted Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:15 PM

The Alternate Reality games aren't really my thing but the SIO2SD *does* have 15 open drive slots to use.  You can fill all of them with their own ATR images and easily switch between them using the onboard buttons.  There are clean cracks of the Alternate Reality disks to be found in the the "8bit Preserved Software" torrent.  Someone who has played all the way through using their SIO2SD should confirm but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. 

Pretty sure those aren't cracks, per se. They files are ATX files and require software or a device capable of handling ATX files to load. So that means the unofficial builds of RespeQt from ebiguy's fork and continued development, APE from Atarimax, or an SDrive-MAX device. 

#32 SS OFFLINE  

SS

Quadrunner

• 6,321 posts

Posted Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:57 PM

Pretty sure those aren't cracks, per se. They files are ATX files and require software or a device capable of handling ATX files to load.

I have the Alternate Reality files in both ATR and ATX format in my "8bit Preserved Software" folder.  Perhaps I am confused and the ATRs came from DjayBee's thread instead and they got mixed into the wrong folder by mistake?  I dunno but I am pretty sure that they are clean cracks nonetheless. 

Either way, I have attached what I have so you can give them a look.

Attached Files

Edited by SS, Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:57 PM.

#33 ricortes OFFLINE  

ricortes

Dragonstomper

• 688 posts

Posted Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:12 AM

It is hard to be the basic convenience and cost of SIO2PC USB https://lotharek.pl/...tail.php?id=108

Lots of people do go for stand alone versions of other devices for a number of good reasons. The things that make the stand alone systems great is you can have a system that doesn't need multiple monitors for the Atari + PC, desk space, and speed. What makes the connection to a PC good is a number of emulators and connections to the internet. It is really great for getting your feet wet when you aren't sure just where you are going. After if ever you decide what you want your setup to be dedicated to the stand alone large storage solutions make a lot of sense. It isn't like you need a ton of storage, I think every game ever made for an Atari fits in 48 megs or so if you want a dedicated game machine for yourself or family. If you want a system for your family but don't want your 4 year old playing with your mega buck laptop, a mass storage cartridge would probably be the way to go out of the box. But heck, ~$20 for the SIO2PC cable isn't going to break the bank and get your feet wet.

#34 Stormtrooper of Death OFFLINE  

Stormtrooper of Death

Moonsweeper

• 455 posts

Posted Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:13 PM

I ordered the Sio2PC-USB and SIDE2 cart from Lotharek. Will arive in 8-15 days time. I will use the Sio2PC-USB with my Atari and Panasonic Toughbook CF-M34 rugged laptop. the CF-M34 has a nice 8.5 inch touchscreen to make things even more easy for diskswapping.

#35 Lord Thag OFFLINE  

Lord Thag

River Patroller

• 3,640 posts
  • We put our faith in Blast Hardcheese

Posted Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:38 PM

Over the years, I have acquired most of these devices for my Ataris.

The best, hands down, is the SIDE2/Ultimate 1mb combo, which lets you do everything. But the combined price and install make this the most expensive and hardest to install. 

Of the rest, an Ultimate Cart is the best for general arcade gaming (i.e. .bin and .xex files) 

In terms of .ATR files, if you don't want to spring for the best setup, SIO2SD and SDRIVE-MAX are both equal, in my mind. Both allow a 'front end' atr to be loaded so you can populate your disk drives via the TV screen to boot software. The S-Drive has a better interface if you want to select files on the device, and the .TAP compatibility is really cool. 

SIO2USB is great if you have a pc next to your atari, and want to mess around with BBS/PLATO, printing, or editing files with something like Last Word and printing or storing them easily on the PC. 

That said, you cannot go wrong with any of these. All of them will give you access to tens of thousands of games and programs. 

#36 broettger OFFLINE  

broettger

Star Raider

• 54 posts

Posted Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:42 PM

What about the sio2bt (Bluetooth) or sio2pi (raspberry pi)?
Those are the two that I have been looking into in the last week since my first Atari 8bit arrived from eBay.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users