IGNORED

What other fan-created games can we get for the unmodified TI?

xabin

After seeing both Super Mario TI Bros and Dragon's Lair working on it, and not being able to get either, I'm wondering if there's any other fan-made games that are just as or almost as technologically advanced as them available for the TI that can be gotten easily and be used on an unmodified TI. Anyone know of any? Thanks.

After seeing both Super Mario TI Bros and Dragon's Lair working on it, and not being able to get either, I'm wondering if there's any other fan-made games that are just as or almost as technologically advanced as them available for the TI that can be gotten easily and be used on an unmodified TI. Anyone know of any? Thanks.

I was thinking of you specifically, and others that will come after you when I posted a new thread. Many of us long time users never think about what's incompatible because for the most part can run everything we are interested in. Now newbies and returning TI'ers don't always get all the hardware at once, but they still need some goodies to hold their interest while they continue upgrading, instead of getting bored and moving on. The thread, so far however appears to be a big fat bust.

Still, I'll list a few games in there later this evening, but I think I'll go post my number one pick right now!

The entire TI BASIC section of the TI Gameshelf site (tigameshelf.net) can be run on an un-expanded TI with just a cassette player, with new games coming up regularly. Adding a 32K sideport expansion (arcadeshopper.com) will also open up a bunch of Extended Basic games as well as all of the homebrew carts currently available. Adding a Nano-PEB or CF7+ Compact Flash-based sideport expansion (Ebay) will give you 32K and 3 drives as well as the easy ability to transfer programs from PC to TI and run virtually everything available.

The entire TI BASIC section of the TI Gameshelf site (tigameshelf.net) can be run on an un-expanded TI with just a cassette player, with new games coming up regularly. Adding a 32K sideport expansion (arcadeshopper.com) will also open up a bunch of Extended Basic games as well as all of the homebrew carts currently available. Adding a Nano-PEB or CF7+ Compact Flash-based sideport expansion (Ebay) will give you 32K and 3 drives as well as the easy ability to transfer programs from PC to TI and run virtually everything available.

also adding a TIPI to the 32k sidecar will get you disk drives (and a hard disk essentially) that's much easier to use than the CF7/NANO and way easier to move data to from your PC/the internet

• Like 1

I forgot to ask, specifically what format storage are you looking for? There ARE plenty of games that will run without the 32K memory expansion, but for them being nearly or advanced as Dragon's Lair or Super Mario Bros.... not really.

also adding a TIPI to the 32k sidecar will get you disk drives (and a hard disk essentially) that's much easier to use than the CF7/NANO and way easier to move data to from your PC/the internet

Yeah and the TIPI is R E L I A B L E, that's not something I will say about the NANO in general.

I forgot to ask, specifically what format storage are you looking for? There ARE plenty of games that will run without the 32K memory expansion, but for them being nearly or advanced as Dragon's Lair or Super Mario Bros.... not really.

We've got a cable for tape loading, we just need to find a tape player that's compatible with it, or finagle a way of getting it to work with the laptop my boyfriend has (though we prefer the former). We do have Extended Basic in cartridge form, but I don't think we have the expanded memory sideloader.

On the website given, I found a few interesting Extended Basic games, like Marble Madness, but yeah, dunno if we can get the 32K sideloader for the computer to run it.

Edited by xabin

Also, note that all of Sometimes99er's homebrew cartridges run on an unexpanded console, as his design ethic is to keep his software in a form that will run on a vanilla console.

PeteE's Turmoil will also run on an unexpanded console, IIRC.

Edited by Ksarul
  • Like 4

We've got a cable for tape loading, we just need to find a tape player that's compatible with it, or finagle a way of getting it to work with the laptop my boyfriend has (though we prefer the former). We do have Extended Basic in cartridge form, but I don't think we have the expanded memory sideloader.

Any tape player with a headphone jack will work for loading. You only need the mic connector for saving.

Actually, any THING with a headphone jack will work.

Edited by JB
  • Like 1

I'm wondering if there's any other fan-made games that are just as or almost as technologically advanced as them available for the TI that can be gotten easily and be used on an unmodified TI. Anyone know of any? Thanks.

I thought Dragon's Lair worked on an unmodified and unexpanded system.

Dragon's Lair DOES work on an unexpanded system, but the key words were "can be gotten easily". It's my understanding that approximately 100 of the Dragon's Lair cartridges were reserved/sold +/- some depending on hardware. Once they are sold, I don't know how easily that game will be to come by because it's HUGE and have no idea what Tursi's future plans are.

Dragon's Lair DOES work on an unexpanded system, but the key words were "can be gotten easily". It's my understanding that approximately 100 of the Dragon's Lair cartridges were reserved/sold +/- some depending on hardware. Once they are sold, I don't know how easily that game will be to come by because it's HUGE and have no idea what Tursi's future plans are.

We're also working on a strict budget, so the near-$100 price tag for it is a no-go, for now.

We're also working on a strict budget, so the near-$100 price tag for it is a no-go, for now.

That's understandable, sadly one can't buy everything! If I were to suggest one single purchase for someone with a bare console, it would be the FinalGROM 99. It'll let you run a bunch of stuff NOW and even MORE if/when you get a memory expansion module.

My early years with the TI consisted of the console, a cheap cassette player, and exactly 2 modules, namely Video Chess and Adventure as well as a monthly trip to the local newspaper stand for the latest Compute! copy :). I still managed to do statistical analysis of my lab data during college on it, although I had to painfully transcribe the results by hand to paper as I did have a printer when it was time to write a report.

There are lot of interesting things that can be done with a bare console and a little TI BASIC programming if you are so inclined.

• Like 2

My next game (Bouncy's obstacle course) will not require 32K.

My oldest son started reading at the age of 3. I doubt he would have been able to do basic programming at that point, but he was exceptionally quick to learn. Programming, e.g. (Scratch) did not catch his interest until the age of 8-9.

My two youngest sons are normal kids who are trying to learn to read at the age of 7.

Edited by Asmusr
  • Like 1

I have not turned away a single soul yet... you guys need to stop repeating that 100 estimate as if it were a solid number. ;)

• Like 3

I have not turned away a single soul yet... you guys need to stop repeating that 100 estimate as if it were a solid number. ;)

Fair enough. I really don't remember why that number came up, but I also think I read somewhere you were losing money on the project, so had no idea what you were going to do. At any rate, that's good to know.