IGNORED

Crimp or solder pins for your own D-sub joystick or RS232 connector?

FarmerPotato

(Posting in TI-99/4A because it's my home page)
I had never used a crimping tool until now, only solder. But I'm making an arcade joystick console, and the buttons and stick (links to Ultimarc) have quick disconnect terminals. So I got a $10 crimping tool at Lowe's and made a wiring harness.

wiring

joystick

(The buttons use 2.8mm quick disconnect terminals, which are not common. Don't forget to buy these when buying buttons! Fortunately I had a box from an estate sale.)
So now for the 9-pin D-sub connector that plugs into the joystick port!
I have only used solder-cup 9-pin connectors, but I picked up these at Fry's. (Fry's is a giant electronics store that is both a train wreck and a lifesaver at the same time.)
2050768.01.prod.jpg
So how the heck do I crimp those contacts onto wire ends? My trial efforts are miserable. I need another tool.
I found this video showing closed-barrel D-sub contacts. I'm not sure if the tool works for these Fry's open-barrel or Dupont contacts.
This 4-indent, closed barrel pin crimping tool costs $50. (I saw the tool chained down in one video.)
I think I need the SN-28B ratchet tool used here. It's more reasonable for $22
I'm about to give up and just go buy solder-cup 9-pin D-sub. Advice? Before I throw any more money into a crimping tool? Will it just give me more grief?

Well, I got the $11 crimping tool (for open barrel contacts) at Altex. No ratchet. It did the job, with extra hands. Amanda now has the amended title "Chief Sloth of Communications and Crimping."

Unfortunately, Altex is like an electronics candy store, and I spent $40 on stuff I didn't necessarily need right away. So the cheap crimping tool sort of cost $50 anyway.

• Like 3

I hate the crimp type! I bought all the needed items to do it and after an hour I think I was only able to get 8 wires crimp successfully. It's all about lining the crimp connector in perfectly with the wire. There are tabs that get folded into the center of the wire. I finnaly said screw it and used a solder cup and was done in less than 5 minutes.

• Like 1