IGNORED

Philadelphia’s $50 million esports arena to open in 2021

https://www.pennlive.com/life/2019/03/philadelphias-50-million-esports-arena-to-open-in-2021-what-you-need-to-know.html?utm_campaign=pennlive_sf&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Slated to open in early 2021, the arena will be the home of the Philadelphia Fusion, one of 20 international teams competing in the Overwatch League.

The Fusion Arena will be situated within walking distance of Philadelphia’s other sporting venues: Lincoln Financial Field, Citizens Bank Park and Wells Fargo Center. It’s slated to be located just across from Xfinity Live.

The $50 million project is expected to start construction this summer. The Fusion Arena will be 60,000 square feet and seat 3,500 people.

And....$50 Million????

That is WAY TOO MUCH!!!! For a mere 3500 seater???

Unless EVERY seat in there is a vibrating massage recliner with back scratching, power ass scrubbers and buttons for Beer and Nachos (and maybe Tacos) on Demand....They are out of their damn minds! And they will probably blame gamers when this thing fails...

• Like 1

Yeah me neither. I'm a player not a spectator.

The only thing I watch on Twitch is pinball, and even that's in small dosages.

Also I'll venture a guess here that you don't have your bookie on speed dial to place bets on who scores highest...You're probably more like me, in that you're just checking out the gameplay for future reference. Whether to play a pinball, or buy/collect one at some point...

Don't get me wrong...More power to'em if that's what they want to do...And maybe it'll take off. What do I know?...If not, I guess they'll have an upscale music venue....And more places for concerts is always a good thing!

Don't forget the awesome K-pop concerts.

Comcast Spectacor expects to hold about 120 events a year in the new arena, with other gigs ranging from TED Talks to electronic dance music and K-pop concerts. K-pop is a music genre from South Korea that is popular with Fusion fans, Comcast Spectacor officials said. The Fusion Arena is looking to sell naming rights to the venue.

• Like 2

It seems hard for us old coots to comprehend, but I'll bet K-pop and E-sports are way bigger than our precious pinball and oldie games.

$50M for the site, construction, parking, utilities, security? Sounds about right ... I wonder how long before it pays off? And whose taxes went into that, just Philly proper?

I'll bet true outsiders equate E-sports with our grandpa games.

• Like 2

It boggles my mind that people are willing to pay (sometimes a lot) of money to watch someone play video games. I don't even do it for free. You would have to pay me to watch someone play video games.

But then again some "streamers" make tons of money from people just giving it to them (besides the ad revenue) so what do I know?

• Like 1

The only thing I could imagine myself watching would not be a "competitive" game, but maybe if they made a game that was damn near photo realistic and then made it like The Purge or the Hunger Games where people killed one another in interesting ways with any weapons they could find...And then maybe you could choose which player you wanted to follow and it would play out like a horror movie ...That idea sounds like it could be cool. But considering some people are easily desensitized to violence, or mentally ill,... and some people are just idiots who don't know the difference between reality and video games (or Right and Wrong, for that matter) ...I probably wouldn't want my fun little idea to actually exist ;)

• Like 1

This is an absolutely huge industry. Look at Twitch and see how many people watch Overwatch or DoTA streams. I've seen soldout stadiums for this stuff. It will do fine.

I keep hearing this, even hearing that it's larger than traditional sports. But where are all the fans? Like I can't throw a rock without hitting a traditional sports fan, and sports talk dominates office water-cooler talk, but even among younger people, I've only ever met one guy who was vocally into eSports

• Like 1

I keep hearing this, even hearing that it's larger than traditional sports. But where are all the fans? Like I can't throw a rock without hitting a traditional sports fan, and sports talk dominates office water-cooler talk, but even among younger people, I've only ever met one guy who was vocally into eSports

Online. They're talking about it online, then going to the events.

Definitely not for me, but it does further legitimize video games as a mainstream pastime so I can't really complain. The only time I watch gameplay videos are when they're part of a journalist's video review of the game or if I get stuck in a game and just want someone to show me where to go or what to do next.

I don't think the cost of a venue that size, modern with all the needs is really out of question.

My problem and likely always will be is having the brass balls to call playing video games a sport or e-sport in this place. There's no sport in it, unless getting big thumb muscles counts as physical activity.