99/8 MESS & disk drive cards

PEB 99/8 MESS

10 replies to this topic

#1 hloberg OFFLINE  

hloberg

Dragonstomper

• 776 posts

Posted Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:05 PM

I remember asking this several years ago. Since I fiddling with the 99/8 again I thought I ask again.

The roms for the 99/8 on MESS never worked with disk drive controllers a while back. tape worked but not drive. it was because the rom or system  uploaded for the 99/8 hadn't gotten far enough in development to support drives. this was about mess .149. just wondering if new mess has a working 99/8 as some newer 99/8 board been found since then?

#2 mizapf ONLINE  

mizapf

River Patroller

• 3,676 posts

Posted Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:24 AM

The Hexbus HX5102 drive works perfectly with the TI-99/8 emulation in MAME.

mame64 ti99_8 -hexbus hx5102 -flop1 mydiskimage.dsk

#3 hloberg OFFLINE  

hloberg

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 776 posts

Posted Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:36 AM

The Hexbus HX5102 drive works perfectly with the TI-99/8 emulation in MAME.

mame64 ti99_8 -hexbus hx5102 -flop1 mydiskimage.dsk

um, cool, thanks

#4 mizapf ONLINE  

mizapf

River Patroller

• 3,676 posts

Posted Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:05 PM

ROMs for the HX5102 are on WHtech. You should use single density because TI's DD format is 16 sectors/track. A flexible formatter can be found in the Pascal system; the Extended Basic II formatter only produces DD disks.

The HX5102 has an internal plug for another drive. You can add the second drive in MAME this way:

mame64 ti99_8 -hexbus hx5102 -hexbus:hx5102:d1 525dd -flop1 firstimg.dsk -flop2 secondimg.dsk

The d0 slot is by default connected to a 525dd drive.

Please search the forum for more information about the HX5102; I posted quite some messages a while ago.

#5 hloberg OFFLINE  

hloberg

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 776 posts

Posted Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:51 AM

I'm running this 99/8 MAME emulator on a Windows XP, long story, anyway, the newest version of MAME doesn't seem to want to run on XP. I'm assuming it's not compatible. Is there an older version MAME runs the 99/8 -hexbus also is WIn XP compatible?

#6 mizapf ONLINE  

mizapf

River Patroller

• 3,676 posts

Posted Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:02 PM

Not sure, I'd rather say no. The HX5102 is part of MAME since 0.197; you'd have to check whether that release would work on XP. On the other hand, there were still many bugs in the emulation of the floppy, which is the reason I generally discourage people to use old versions.

Also, please mind that your computer must offer some performance, since the 99/8 together with the HX5102 is a really big thing. See my benchmarks on https://www.mizapf.de/ti99d/mame .

#7 hloberg OFFLINE  

hloberg

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 776 posts

Posted Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:27 PM

researched the MAME error in XP and it's missing a hook in the compile of kernal32.dll.therefore the latest MAME is no longer XP compatible. oh, well.

the reason I'm using XP is that I have to have an XP around for a client of mine who still uses XP and rather than have it sit useless I'm putting emulators on it. it's a core duo so it's fast enough.

I guess I'll pursue this later when I can dedicate a Win Vista/7/10 to the project. thanks for the help.

FYI: I'm still using the older MESS for the TI/99-4a and it works great.

#8 mizapf ONLINE  

mizapf

River Patroller

• 3,676 posts

Posted Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:10 PM

Yes. The older MESSes were not bad. But as you see here: New features and bugfixes (of those bugs that hit you in an unexpected moment) require you to catch up at some time.

#9 arcadeshopper ONLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 4,410 posts

Posted Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:45 PM

researched the MAME error in XP and it's missing a hook in the compile of kernal32.dll.therefore the latest MAME is no longer XP compatible. oh, well.

the reason I'm using XP is that I have to have an XP around for a client of mine who still uses XP and rather than have it sit useless I'm putting emulators on it. it's a core duo so it's fast enough.

I guess I'll pursue this later when I can dedicate a Win Vista/7/10 to the project. thanks for the help.

linux will run fine on that pc, and runs the latest mame.. just sayin

#10 RickyDean OFFLINE  

RickyDean

Stargunner

• 1,141 posts

Posted Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:48 PM

Update it to Windows 7 then use the free XP mode download from Microsoft to run your clients stuff in, then you can still run emulators on the outside :grin:

#11 hloberg OFFLINE  

hloberg

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 776 posts

Posted Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:22 PM

Update it to Windows 7 then use the free XP mode download from Microsoft to run your clients stuff in, then you can still run emulators on the outside :grin:

It's a small non-profit school I maintain their roughly 35 WinXP PCs in their class. most are donation PCs I refurbished for them. the minimum is core duo (except 1 very slow P4. even with XP it's barely usable. I'm probably going to get rid of it). So I know if the forms and software I write for them runs on a stock core-duo they will be OK.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PEB, 99/8, MESS

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users