The Astro-daptor is a USB interface for connecting Bally/Astrocade controllers to your PC/Mac, Raspberry Pi, or game console that supports USB HID. No driver is needed as the Astro-daptor is recognized as a USB HID (Human Interface Device) joystick. You can buy one here:
Michael Matte wrote instructions on how to get this astrocade hand controller adapter to work with the MAME emulator.
SETTING UP THE ASTRO-DAPTOR
FOR USE WITH A HAND CONTROLLER ON THE MAME ASTROCADE EMULATOR
1. Plug your hand contoller into the Astro-daptor and then the Astro-daptor into
2. Initialize MAME and display the Astrocade menu.
3. Press your keyboard "Tab" key.
4. The Tab menu will pop up.
Point to "Input (this machine)", then double-click or press the "Enter" key.
5. The Inputs menu will pop up.
You will see a listing of 8 parameters for each player input.
Below is a listing of 6 parameters for use with an Astrocade hand controller
showing the desired settings, plus 2 parameters for an optional keyboard paddle
P1 up Joy1 up
P1 down joy1 down
P1 left joy1 left
P1 right joy1 right
P1 button 1 joy1 button 0
Paddle analog joy1 Z rotation
Paddle analog dec Z*
Paddle analog inc X*
* This input setting is for an optional paddle motion using the keyboard.
6. The desired input parameter to change must be highlighted in yellow.
Use your keyboard down/up keys to point to the desired input parameter.
7. The current input setting must be deleted, unless you want to ADD your
new setting to the current setting.
Avoid double left-clicking your mouse to change the input setting, because you
may experience setting problems.
To delete the current setting and enter a new setting:
A. Press the enter key to display left/right pointers.
B. Press the Esc key so the input setting reads "None".
C. Press the enter key to display the left/right pointers again.
D. Move joystick, pot or pull trigger to display desired setting.
E. If you make a setting mistake, go back to step A and repeat the procedure.
If you can't set a joystick input setting, it is likely the Astro-daptor is
not sensing that input. Confirm your hand controller is fully functional.
This same procedure in above steps 6 and 7 can be used to change or add
8. To exit this Inputs menu, move up or down to "Return to Previous Menu" and
double-click, press Enter key or pull joystick trigger.
9. To exit first Input menu, move to "Return to machine" and select it.
HOW TO ACCESS "DEAD ZONE" AND "JOYSTICK SATURATION" PARAMETERS
1. Go back to the Systems listing by pressing the "Esc" key.
Right click "Bally Profession Arcade".
2. A "Configure Machine" menu will pop up.
Point to "Advanced Options", if necessary, and double-click or press the
3. Move down or up to the "Inputs Options" area within this menu.
You will see within this area,
Joystick Dead Zone
It looks like the default settings for these two parameters are 0.3 and 0.85
respectively. You do NOT have to change these settings. The default settings
seem to work fine.
The Astro-daptor recommendation is 0.0 for the Dead Zone and 0.85 or 0.90 for
To change a setting, point to it and highlight it, so left/right pointers
appear next to the setting. Use the keyboard left or right keys to adjust
4. To exit this menu, move down to "Return To Previous Menu" and select it by
double-clicking or pressing the "Enter" key.
End of document