IGNORED

New compute games from Walmart 5 dollars.

Elvis

Ok I got 2 new computer games at Walmart. I might have seen them? But I did not know of them. First game is Super Lucky's Tail from Microsoft Studios. I never played it. And read anything about it untill I got it. I have not played it. The box looks great. The graphics look amazing. I got the last one my Walmart had I think? Second game is Recore Defintive Edition. I never played it yet. I looked up some info. I might have seen it but never knew anything about the game. Any info you can share about the games. Thoughts on the great deal I got on both games?

ZPCAwZJ.jpg

erkVevC.png

I bought Recore for XBox One awhile ago, and like it a lot. It reminds me of Borderlands, but it's not multiplayer. Recore has a low learning curve and the game play is simpler than many first person shooters. Most reviewers gave it 7 out of 10 stars.

I'm not going to play them. I deleted my free Steam account. I personaly do not want to use Steam. Shame too. I got all the Red Factions games too. Must use Steam though. I want to buy computer games and play them without Steam. Does any games for the computer you buy not use Steam? Or do all of them require Steam?

I'm not going to play them. I deleted my free Steam account. I personaly do not want to use Steam. Shame too. I got all the Red Factions games too. Must use Steam though. I want to buy computer games and play them without Steam. Does any games for the computer you buy not use Steam? Or do all of them require Steam?

well- unless you go the GOG route and DOSBox, you're going to end up using Steam, or Origin, or Epic Games, or Battle.net, or whatever 'unified' gaming platform the game is on.

• Like 1

In this day and age, you're not going to get away from using SOME form of a game client. As digdugnate said above, everybody has a client now... and it's slowly getting worse. Steam is probably the best among them, but I feel a lot of that is just that they are one of the oldest platforms. If you forget about the massive pile of dung at the top (thanks a lot Steam Greenlight and Steam Direct), Steam has the greatest selection of games, options, and features. The second best is probably GOG.

I can think of the following game clients just off the top of my head...

• Steam
  • GOG
  • Origin
  • Battle.Net
  • Epic Games
  • itch.io
  • Twitch
  • Discord

And this doesn't include the several companies that are trying to launch their own like Bethesda.

If you play games on PC, you're gonna have to accept that buying and just installing the game to play is basically gone. Closest you'll get to that is GOG.

• Like 1

So you cannot buy a game and the install it on CD and play it anymore. You have to have some service to play it? Bummer.

GOG lets you download drm free files, and I believe you can just install those without having a client. However, you may not have access to any sort of multiplayer items without their client.

As for actual CDs that do this? As far as I know, those are completely non-existent as any company with enough clientele to press CDs/DVDs will most likely have a game client. I'm pretty sure this has been the standard for PC games for over a decade now...

There are a lot of modern (mostly indie type) and classic games that don't require crappy DRM/Steam front end type harassment. GO to gog.com and see if they have what you want. They have old DOS games through current, each are individual downloaded installers you can back up and do with pretty much as you please, or you can use a steam like loader that maintains the installs for you keeping them up to date.

I don't care for Steam either, but there are a few things on there GoG may never get due to the makers paranoid feelings about distribution.

• Like 1

So you cannot buy a game and the install it on CD and play it anymore. You have to have some service to play it? Bummer.

Most modern big-budget titles are massive in size which would require BluRay storage. More and more computer builds these days aren't even coming with disc drives, especially not BluRay (more expensive). Downloading is the primary form of games distribution on PC now, even if you buy a game physically at retail (either you get a download code in the box, or a DVD with a small portion of the data with a large download being required for the rest).

Edited by Austin

Most modern big-budget titles are massive in size which would require BluRay storage. More and more computer builds these days aren't even coming with disc drives, especially not BluRay (more expensive). Downloading is the primary form of games distribution on PC now, even if you buy a game physically at retail (either you get a download code in the box, or a DVD with a small portion of the data with a large download being required for the rest).

Bummer.

Boy it would be nice to go back to having physical copies of PC games...except for the root kits they install, always having to connect to activation servers which are constantly down and not being able to play at all if you lose your disk.

That don't make games the way they used to. Last weekend I installed Quake 3 Arena (released in 1999), Unreal Anthology (Unreal, Unreal Tournament, Unreal 2 and Unreal Tournament 2004), and Unreal Tournament 3 on my Windows 10 computer. I was able to install all from original CD/DVD's and all ran fine after updating with the latest patches.

Edited by Forrest
  • Like 1

Yeah it stinks, but they make up for it in deals. I've got some good and fairly current games like Shadow Warrior 2 for free. I know some people on thecoverproject.com will put offline installers from GOG.com onto DVDS or thumb drives and put those in a case with custom artwork. That's as good as it's going to get as far as getting things like the good ol' days.

I guess? It's not like this is anything new.

Right? I remember doing the "WTF? Steam?" grumbling in 2005 when I picked up a supposed physical copy of Civilization 4, which really just turned out to be a license key and link to steam on a disc.

I'm actually surprised anyone can still find a PC boxed game on a shelf any more...

I want to say that the first game I bought that came with a CD but didn't actually have the game on it and instead wanted to connect to Steam, was Fallout 3? I know that I was kinda hacked off when I got the Homeworld remaster collectors edition and it only came with a download code through Steam to get the actual game. I was surprised because I figured that the original 1st and 2nd games that you also got along with the remaster would all likely fit onto a DVD or two but nope...

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-