Announcing the Super Game Controller for the ColecoVision

Super Game Controller ColecoVision Opcode Ted Mayer controller

57 replies to this topic

#51 grips03 OFFLINE  

grips03

River Patroller

• 3,880 posts

Posted Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:00 PM

Anyway to round the front corners or it too late?

#52 opcode OFFLINE  

opcode

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 4,562 posts
  • Bringing new life to your ColecoVision!

Posted Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:15 PM

Anyway to round the front corners or it too late?

If you hold a NES you will see that it has many problems, but the front corners aren’t one of them, even though they are blocky. The reason is because we are larger than a controller, so our arms and hands form a sort of triangle shape when holding the controller, and the palm of our hands are never pressing against the front corners. And there is a design reason for that front as well when you take into account Omni. But of course comfort is more important, so as I said, we will have a couple of months to try it, we will gather feedback and we will adjust as necessary. For now I am just giving Ted free rein to do whatever he wants design wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#53 thedoppelganger OFFLINE  

thedoppelganger

Space Invader

• 16 posts

Posted Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:15 PM

Should we have received any kind of email acknowledgement after signing up? I haven't.

Thanks

#54 opcode OFFLINE  

opcode

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 4,562 posts

Posted Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:16 PM

Should we have received any kind of email acknowledgement after signing up? I haven't.

Thanks

Not yet. I am waiting more substantial news next week and then will contact everybody.

#55 info_paradox OFFLINE  

info_paradox

Combat Commando

• 6 posts

Posted Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:46 PM

My biggest concern is the stick/D-pad. The controllers I've tried that use a nub/extension on a D-pad setup have all felt pretty terrible to use in my opinion.

The ability to swap it with a conventional D-pad might be worth consideration.

The shrouds around the buttons and stick-pad worry me a little as well. Depending on the amount of travel that the buttons have (or if a conventional d-pad option is offered), the edge of those shrouds might dig into ones thumb, or present an opportunity for binding.

I'm keeping an eye on this though. I was considering the prospect of building a custom stick with an easily switchable 8-way/4-way gate, but I'd probably be happy with a nice pad option.

#56 opcode OFFLINE  

opcode

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 4,562 posts

Posted Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:13 PM

My biggest concern is the stick/D-pad. The controllers I've tried that use a nub/extension on a D-pad setup have all felt pretty terrible to use in my opinion.
The ability to swap it with a conventional D-pad might be worth consideration.

The shrouds around the buttons and stick-pad worry me a little as well. Depending on the amount of travel that the buttons have (or if a conventional d-pad option is offered), the edge of those shrouds might dig into ones thumb, or present an opportunity for binding.

I'm keeping an eye on this though. I was considering the prospect of building a custom stick with an easily switchable 8-way/4-way gate, but I'd probably be happy with a nice pad option.

As I said, we will have a couple of prototyping months soon, so we will know what works and what doesn’t work. And we will surely fix what doesn’t work.

As for the D-pad, I would say that we can consider that for sure, assuming that we get feedback on that, even if it is divisive.

#57 grips03 OFFLINE  

grips03

River Patroller

• 3,880 posts

Posted Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:43 PM

If you hold a NES you will see that it has many problems, but the front corners aren’t one of them, even though they are blocky. The reason is because we are larger than a controller, so our arms and hands form a sort of triangle shape when holding the controller, and the palm of our hands are never pressing against the front corners. And there is a design reason for that front as well when you take into account Omni. But of course comfort is more important, so as I said, we will have a couple of months to try it, we will gather feedback and we will adjust as necessary. For now I am just giving Ted free rein to do whatever he wants design wise.

Actually the front square corners is what I hate about the NES controller, hence I use the Hudson joycard NES controllers as they are more rounded, like the PC Engine :)

If you want to explore rapid fire solution using a CV port this app note might be helpful.  One CV adapter/joystick being sold on AA uses this type of power harvesting.  I think they had mixed results, but they were looking to power much more than a rapid fire circuit.

https://www.maximint...dex.mvp/id/3468

#58 thedoppelganger OFFLINE  

thedoppelganger

Space Invader

• 16 posts

Posted Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:58 AM

Re rapid Fire, I wonder whether the Sega Master System rapid fire adapter may work. I have one in my collection.

https://www.youtube....h?v=0y8UEWIb3YU

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Super Game Controller, ColecoVision, Opcode, Ted Mayer, controller

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users