IGNORED

Model 1 or 2?

Getting a model 2 in the mail from ebay. Found a guy selling the one with the cutouts in the shielding as in the other thread. Still have a model 1 non hidef. So no need to keep 2. Probably sell the model 1. I heard power base converter for playing master games is not compatible. But no big deal cuz I have none. And there is always this anyhow.

https://stoneagegamer.com/powerbase-mini-fm.html

Any others reasons to get rid of the model 1? Does 32x or CD work? Anything else not compatible with model 2?

Also is the av cable the same? I have a generic av cable with no svideo. And I need an ac adapter. Model 1 is different. And mode 2 is 10v like snes. But that probably wont fit. I have a generic snes and genesis 1 adapter 850mah. I doubt it will fit. What will? I have controllers and games and if av fits all is good. Just need an ac adapter.

It depends on which specific model 2 you get (if it's a VA4, that's good, but the guy had two systems listed IIRC) and which specific model 1 you have. If what you already have in non-HDG is a VA7, then it's a turd that you can sell without any regrets. If it's a VA6.8, the two will sound very similar and both should also look pretty good. The reason the original Power Base Converter won't work is that it's molded to fit the original Genesis 1. There was a revision released but the one you linked has FM sound where the others don't, so that's probably your best bet anyway.

The AV cable is different and so is the AC adapter. So if you don't already have a model 2 AV cable you need one. The AC adapter is the same one used on the 32X with a smaller plug.

He said both probably have the holes but if not he will send the one with the holes. And I have model one that does not say hidef graphics on the top. And no ext port on the back.

Then the next question is where the power port is located on the back of your model 1? Is it pretty close to the right edge of the bezel from the top shell, or more like an inch over to the left from the bezel?

• Like 1

I have two HD models they have TMSS so they aren't super old

My childhood model was VA6 with non-HD Graphics logo. I can't get it to work.

I've had super early HD models with non-tmss all the way up to the VA4 Model 2. My aviator is tongue in cheek but I was surprised how nice the picture is on the VA7 I briefly owned.

This was during the days of the early 2000s when I could pick these up for 5 bucks a pop at Goodwill.

No idea. In the past I have used this one successfully. I currently have a RetroGameCave M2 Trio, though. https://stoneagegamer.com/genesis-2-3-ac-adapter-tomee.html

Beware that the cheap AV cables for Genesis 2s sold on eBay almost always have left and right audio backwards. So you might need to plug red into white and white into red.

I have both a Model 1 and Model 2 hooked up in my A/V rack for... reasons, but I've never been refined enough to really care a huge deal about the audio differences. I can tell, certainly, if MLiG or Digital Foundry or one of the better produced shows spotlight differences, but I don't have a huge preference in actual practice.

There really is a difference, so I don't blame people for buying Mega amps and the like... but I do find it amusing that suddenly SO MANY PEOPLE (and I certainly don't mean helpful cats like derFunk; I mean Johnny come lately self styled experts on the internet) are suddenly sound experts online. "The squarewave isn't crunchy enough!" Uh huh. Suddenly everyone and their mom knows exactly what expansion audio on obscure Famicom disk games is supposed to sound like, you know?

• Like 4

Im certainly no expert, but I can tell the difference between good and bad models. Its all about the moist fart sound that accompanies the audio. If thats gone then Im good. I didnt even know what the ladder effect was (or that it existed) until I looked it up when I found it in the Mega Sg audio menu. :lol:

So any non-VA7 model 1 or any late model 2 is good enough for me. There are only a handful of real turds in the Genesis family. The rest all BASICALLY sound the same to me.

Edited by derFunkenstein
  • Like 1

It's largely nostalgia for me. Although my first system was a later model 2, that summer of 89 where I learned and drooled over the model 1 iconic Genesis was awesome. If you're a collector, it makes a difference. For pure gameplay though, I prefer my model 2. Cleaner interface, sturdier control ports...the buttons are better. It's a great lil compact unit as well and combines with the CD and 32X better IMO as well.

So retrobit sells a 9v adapter but officials are 10v. So does that mean a generic 9v would work? If official is 10v then why dont they make it 10v? Why 9v?

https://www.google.com/search?ei=wMaqXOLtFIvCjwTAxruYDw&q=sega+genesis+3+9v&oq=sega+genesis+3+9v&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-serp.3...55226.56299..57313...0.0..2.1176.3118.3-1j0j1j1j1......0....1.........0i71.-7kvMrwZp3w#lbl=OVERVIEW&pie=plaji-i

Edited by 0078265317

Generic 9v will work if it has the right tip with the right polarity. Model 1 has the same connector as a PC Engine, and those adapters are interchangeable, too.

If you want a cheap option with something that should work perfectly, follow HD Retrovision's guide. https://www.hdretrovision.com/vote3rdparty

Edited by derFunkenstein