IGNORED

Connecting Atari 800XL to Internet BBS

annomatik

Hi! I have an (unmodified) Atari 800XL, a SIO2USB and a Side2 Cartridge.

During my Internet-Browsing, I have discovered a "Wifi Modem" called Retro Wifi SI which seems pretty cool.

My questions:

1) Does anyone have experience with connecting an Atari 800XL to Internet-Based BBSs?

2) Connecting via WIFI looks very tempting -- is the "Retro Wifi SI" any good, what else do I need / is recommended (a 850? a BlackBox?)

3) Is there some sort of SIO device with a built-in "Wifi Modem", which maybe even has a similar look like the Atari 800XL? Maybe some sort of 1030 hack/mod with a higher baud-rate, ready to buy from someone?

4) Could I also use SIO2USB for that until I have a "proper" WIFI solution? What kind of software would I use with the SIO2USB on the PC-side to provide connectivity to Internet-Based BBSs?

5) Any caveats I should consider?

Thanks!

• Like 1

It looks like it will work with any type of R: interface. For the 850, you'd need the 9 to 25 adapter on their page along with a CX-87 Modem cable.

I am using a Lantronix UDS-10 with my 850 for the BBS. This does the same thing basically, but it's wireless.

Once you get it set up, type ATDT broadway1.lorexddns.net

• Like 2

During my Internet-Browsing, I have discovered a "Wifi Modem" called Retro Wifi SI which seems pretty cool.

My questions:

1) Does anyone have experience with connecting an Atari 800XL to Internet-Based BBSs?

2) Connecting via WIFI looks very tempting -- is the "Retro Wifi SI" any good, what else do I need / is recommended (a 850? a BlackBox?)

3) Is there some sort of SIO device with a built-in "Wifi Modem", which maybe even has a similar look like the Atari 800XL? Maybe some sort of 1030 hack/mod with a higher baud-rate, ready to buy from someone?

4) Could I also use SIO2USB for that until I have a "proper" WIFI solution? What kind of software would I use with the SIO2USB on the PC-side to provide connectivity to Internet-Based BBSs?

Thanks!

Most of this is covered by the BBS thread at the top of the forum.

• Like 1

My questions:

Thanks!

I use a Raspberry Pi Zero as a Hayes modem emulator over my Atari 850 or ICD P.R Connection. There is an app called Tcpser that will make the PI behave like a Hayes compatible modem. The Atari just sees it as a modem. Since the PI is wireless, you can be online anywhere. Pair it to your phone or hot spot.

Here is an example of one working on an Apple II. Of course, for an Atari you will also need something like the 850 or PR Connection.

https://www.insentricity.com/a.cl/215/putting-your-retro-computer-on-the-line

I have my PI permanently soldered inside of my PR Connection box. I never remove it.

• Like 2

I will suggest this.....

Before you go spending money, maybe you should just download SyncTerm for the PC and try calling a few BBSs first. SyncTerm does a great job with both ATASCII and ANSI (for the ST boards if you like them).

Mainly I'm suggesting this because I get a lot of one time callers... people who call, check it out, get their nostalgia fix.... and then never call again. I don't know why.

But instead of spending the money and going to all the trouble, you can at least "try before you buy".

SyncTerm: http://syncterm.bbsdev.net/

The Atari BBS Listing http://www.sfhqbbs.org/ataribbslist.php

• Like 2

I get a lot of one time callers... people who call, check it out, get their nostalgia fix.... and then never call again. I don't know why.

For me, it's time. I just don't have the time to do everything I like to do.I even had a BBS running in Windows 7 for about 2 years just a few years ago. I finally just shut it down because I don't have the time.

Yeah, well, too late, I already ordered everything :-) And the 850 arrived today, Wifi Modem is still on its way.

850 came with a lot of cables, a copy of the manual and a disk. And a power supply that does not fit, the "hole" of the connector is too small.

Can anyone tell me please the Volt needed for the power-supply, and if the plus-pole goes to the outside or the inside?

Thanks!

Yeah, well, too late, I already ordered everything :-) And the 850 arrived today, Wifi Modem is still on its way.

850 came with a lot of cables, a copy of the manual and a disk. And a power supply that does not fit, the "hole" of the connector is too small.

Can anyone tell me please the Volt needed for the power-supply, and if the plus-pole goes to the outside or the inside?

Thanks!

It takes a 9v power supply. I'm pretty sure it is the same power supply that the 1050 disk drive uses.

Hey Annomatik, check my video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1X9LkEKsIg

i jumped on the BBS train just a few weeks ago. Still a lot to explore for me :) Fire me a PM if you need any help or have more questions about the setup.

cheers,

Marco

My questions:

Thanks!

I haven't tried it myself yet, but if your SIO2PC-USB is an AtariMax version, and you have the APE/ProSystem software, it has printer and modem emulation built into the software. I've been meaning to try to connect to some of the Atari BBSes online and see if/how it works.

The retro wifi si uses Zimodem firmware. You can run zimodem and very cheap esp8266. Several people (including me) are connected to internet (wifi) using this. It works with platoterm and other terminals programs.

You can get some ideas and pictures in the flowing (very long) thread:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/262518-sio-wifi-modem-with-esp8266/

As mentioned before, Dropcheck is working on a sio2io card which will feature (among other gadgets) a esp8266 emulating a modem.

• Like 1

I haven't tried it myself yet, but if your SIO2PC-USB is an AtariMax version, and you have the APE/ProSystem software, it has printer and modem emulation built into the software. I've been meaning to try to connect to some of the Atari BBSes online and see if/how it works.

true, it has pro system to image to real drive, imagic, R: internet modem, P: emulation, xf, percom, pro/atx/vapii for copy protected disk, and a handful of other goodies, the latest version meters the serial port data as well... it's pretty slick. I ponied up for this one, I haven't been dis-appointed. I have high hope for respeqt and it is getting there, I wish it supported steves (AtariMax) SIO products. APE will support third party sio2 products in virtual com port modes, but not at the full speed of it's native devices, his sio2pc products are intelligent devices and are able to support the speed modes of more drives etc.. When you think about what is charged to get other less capable solutions plus the shipping, It's about the same price, I like the double headed AtariMac SIO2PC's. What seems to tick some folks off is needing to register APE to use it to it's fullest extent... APE comes with all the trimmings...I use it for everything.... except the one spot and one single spot alone.. pclink... the spartados X pclink driver and respeqt is very slick and allows backing up of mass storage devices attached to the Atari in a very hassle free way and it's handling of protected disks is coming along very well might I add

Edited by _The Doctor__

It takes a 9v power supply. I'm pretty sure it is the same power supply that the 1050 disk drive uses.

9V AC. The 810/1050 31VA supply will work fine, and smaller down to 15VA supplies sometimes supplied with the 400/800 and some peripherals are also safe to use.

• Like 1