IGNORED

PSP Battery Suggestions? Sony Model PSP-S110

Razzie.P

I'm trying to find a replacement battery for my PSP, but everything I'm finding seems to have consistent negative reviews that they're crap. Anyone have suggestions for a good quality battery pack and where to purchase?

PSP Battery -- 3.6v 1200 mAH

Sony Model PSP-S110

Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

From what I have heard, buying new official ones is a crapshoot. It may be fine, or it may be bulging to the point where you can't close the battery door. I believe there's supposed to be a good third party one, forgot who makes it though. Bought a different brand for my son's PSP, and in less than a year, it was dead.

I'd expect all new, completely unused, official batteries to be bloated beyond use by. When I finally unboxed a sealed 2000 unit - many years ago at this point - it's batter ywas bloated. In addition to that, all 3 of the spare batteries I had bought new were similarly affected. The battery in my main psp2000 still works, although I charge that every month or two even when I'm not playing it since they discharge even if not plugged in. Which reminds me I should probably recharge the psp this weekend...

• 2 weeks later...

Curiosity. Can the pep be played without the battery? Bong get me wrong, I'd prefer it to be portable, but it's looking like I'm about to loose that cause my batteries are all getting bloated, so it's only a matter of time before I won't have a battery.

I tested it with a 1000 and it worked a while back with just the charger.

I can't say I'm going to be happy with that eventual setup - my power adapter can sometimes be a bit finicky when plugged in for charging. So I can easily see me trying to play a game and randomly (And probably often) it just dying because the powercord was nudged.

Yeah, not surprised. So long as the battery is kept charged regularly enough it's likely still going to be kicking around just fine. My PSP2000 is still working fine with it's original battery as well. However a battery that was never charged would have leaked all it's charge then started to corrupt after a couple years. It's why the spare batteries I have ended up all dying before they were taken out of the package.

• 4 weeks later...

Wakey wakey. I'm in the same spot now. Dude down the street had a 2 day garage sale and today his brother had him sell stuff. One of that stuff was a PSP1000 with a couple games in really beautiful shape and it has like 5 games on the high speed 8GB memory card within too.

What is a good battery vs a crap chinese junk one that flakes out quick and misreports the power? The best I've seen so far is Cameron Sino comments, but I see that Insten link above from Amazon. Anything I should really know before I go click something?

Also that comment earlier, you can use UMDs but you're kind of screwed otherwise. I can not get onto PSN, nor can I update the system or even fire up the games on the memory card because the firmware is 6.37 and it sees 6.61 is a thing, plus the old owner already had it put on the memory card and annoyingly never loaded it. I've tried downloading, tried using his copy, even tried using the USB method and without the battery it refuses to take the update. The system says it sees the battery is too low and needs AC adapter, but it needs the battery in there to still run the update so I'm blocked.

I'd love to get my old PSP buys back on there if I can remember my login/pass I used for the system like a decade ago. I'm pretty certain I had a few PSN/Mini pick ups, positive I had Pinball Fantasies and Dreams at the least, and I thnk super stardust or whatever it was called too. The system is a bit scuffy, but one thing at a time before I go into it deeper obviously.

I poked a few sticks around the internet around posting that. I did discover some interesting information around the modern batteries and what really one model by general region isn't crap typically as they use modern cells and don't skimp on the mah to size ratio inside. In the US the Insten battery is the go to and for the EU/Asia regions Cameron Sino. I found that amazon had the right Insten one for $10 shipped so I figured it would be a good stop gap to at least get the device activated and doing something useful aside from UMD alone and then go from there. The further advise was about the same, but one good person on reddit pointed out just days ago he had done a pictorial spread on cannibalizing an OEM battery shell and internal PCB and attaching it to a modern off the shelf of sorts battery you can buy online for a couple dollars with the same ratings and it worked perfectly. I may just do that one in the long run if I can find a cheap dead PSP battery to use as a shell.

As it stands now I know the system works, plays UMD, can get detect my network kind of, but enough to do what it can without the missing piece. I was annoyed I couldn't get on my network it grays out, but I can on the wifi range extender across the house which is bizarre to say the least. I forgot how nice the screen and audio are on that thing having started up FF1 for a test.