Photo

Fairchild Channel F Model 2 - A/V upgrade ?

11 replies to this topic

#1 TheCoolDave OFFLINE  

TheCoolDave

Moonsweeper

• 300 posts

Posted Tue Apr 9, 2019 7:06 AM

Hi !

I did a search I could only find info on a Model 1.  Has anyone did a A/V upgrade to a Fairchild Channel F Model 2, if so, what is involved ? 

Would love to try this myself..

Yes, for people watching my threads, yes, I found one... waiting for it to come in, kind of being proactive to try to get everything ready, and this is very important. 

#2 carlsson ONLINE  

carlsson

Metagalactic Mule

• 8,826 posts

Posted Tue Apr 9, 2019 9:27 AM

Earlier this year a rather straightforward A/V solution for the Channel F was posted, and afterwards it has been found that the same circuit possibly with small adjustments to resistor values work on pretty much any console (different brands & systems). Is the Model 2 that much different that it could not be made to work, or simply you don't know which solder points to use?

Edited by carlsson, Tue Apr 9, 2019 9:28 AM.

#3 TheCoolDave OFFLINE  

TheCoolDave

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 300 posts

Posted Tue Apr 9, 2019 10:25 AM

Earlier this year a rather straightforward A/V solution for the Channel F was posted, and afterwards it has been found that the same circuit possibly with small adjustments to resistor values work on pretty much any console (different brands & systems). Is the Model 2 that much different that it could not be made to work, or simply you don't know which solder points to use?

I dont know enough about the hardware to comare the 1 and 2.  I know there is some changes but, to what level I dont know.  The question is to see if anyone has done one and how can I do one to mine ? 

Really wanted to see S-video out instead of RF...Yuck !

#4 TheCoolDave OFFLINE  

TheCoolDave

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 300 posts

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:57 AM

I wanted to update this but, I cant edit after so long.  The Channel F A/V upgrades tha I could find were spotty with low signal after doing a TON of searches on here and on google. 

What circut are you talking about ?  Can you provide a link where it's discussed ? 

#5 carlsson ONLINE  

carlsson

Metagalactic Mule

• 8,826 posts

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:23 PM

Ok, I found it in a Facebook group back in February.

Fredrik Groth wrote about how he was looking to implement a composite video mod on his Philips Videopac G7000 (a.k.a. Odyssey^2) and found a schematic by anonymous (?) that worked well for the purpose.

composite-video.jpg

It made him curious to see if it could be used with his Luxor Video Entertainment System (a.k.a. Fairchild Channel F) as well. He found that with the default resistor values (above) it gives too much amplification of the signal on the Channel F, but that it is possible to adjust the resistor pairs R1/R2 and R4/R5. Basically he replaced R4 and R5 with a 500 ohm trim pot, but probably a 1K pot would work as well. It let him adjust the signal until it looks good. This is Fredrik's modified schematic:

composite-video.jpg

It has been tested by e.g. e5frog on SABA consoles with good results, though I'm unsure if it has been tested on US Fairchild consoles yet, either model 1 or 2.

This is how he connected the board: yellow for video in, red for +5V I presume and black for ground.

composite-pcb.jpg

Note that you don't get S-Video with this mod, only composite video. I don't know if S-Video at all is possible, and probably it would require more work.

#6 TheCoolDave OFFLINE  

TheCoolDave

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 300 posts

Posted Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:12 AM

I think e5frog is here, I was reading some of his old mods he was trying on a Model 1, and the results, that is where I came up with that. 

Thanks, I might ask someone else who could build this.. I am not an expert.  I see the Video, line.. How do you pull audio and were can it be grabbed from ? 

Now I need to find out the differences between the model 1 and 2. If the boards are the same, just a slimmer case (I know most old consoles are 85% air inside them), then the mod should apply. The main reason I went with a 2 was the audio comes out the RF, not the console itself, like on the 1...

Do you have the link to the facebook group (or DM me), I would love to read his whole thing and maybe pop him a question if I get stuck...

Edited by TheCoolDave, Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:14 AM.

#7 e5frog OFFLINE  

e5frog

Dragonstomper

• 845 posts
  • Good.

Posted Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:35 AM

Tried it on the US version, works fine - although the image is pretty crappy on my TV compared to the PAL version. Kind of smeared and odd colors.  ;-)

I probed through reasonable location and found a good one on a resistor before the RF box. 

The boards for model 1 and 2 are not the same, there's a model 1.5 as well, that has the new electronics in the old shell. 
Difference between them is the logic that was a bunch of TTL chips is instead stuffed into one large IC, sound is also a bit different. 

The Channel F II has a smaller board. 

I made CAD-drawings of an SMD and a THM version, haven't built either yet...  I'll see if I can find good spots to grab the signal on the other versions as well. 

#8 TheCoolDave OFFLINE  

TheCoolDave

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 300 posts

Posted Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:05 AM

Tried it on the US version, works fine - although the image is pretty crappy on my TV compared to the PAL version. Kind of smeared and odd colors.   ;-)

I probed through reasonable location and found a good one on a resistor before the RF box. 

The boards for model 1 and 2 are not the same, there's a model 1.5 as well, that has the new electronics in the old shell. 
Difference between them is the logic that was a bunch of TTL chips is instead stuffed into one large IC, sound is also a bit different. 

The Channel F II has a smaller board. 

I made CAD-drawings of an SMD and a THM version, haven't built either yet...  I'll see if I can find good spots to grab the signal on the other versions as well. 

Thanks ! 

This guy on youtube is showing the A/V mod he made on a Model 2, I just cant get any info from him how to do it... 

https://www.youtube....h?v=z4BuP5mdV58

looking forward to what you come up with.. Let me know if you need anything from me !

#9 carlsson ONLINE  

carlsson

Metagalactic Mule

• 8,826 posts

Posted Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:21 PM

I could DM you a link to the FB group but it is a general video games repair/modding group exclusively in Swedish so probably not awfully useful.

#10 TheCoolDave OFFLINE  

TheCoolDave

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 300 posts

Posted Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:55 PM

Bump, still looking for where to grab A/V on the Channel F Model 2  ? I cant use RF any more...it's just wrong !

#11 e5frog OFFLINE  

e5frog

Dragonstomper

• 845 posts
  • Good.

Posted Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:52 PM

I probably have some time these next few days to locate a good spot to steal that composite signal. 

#12 TheCoolDave OFFLINE  

TheCoolDave

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 300 posts

Posted Yesterday, 6:55 PM

I probably have some time these next few days to locate a good spot to steal that composite signal. 

Good luck on your quest...Looking forward to hearing your results...

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users