IGNORED

Atari 7800 Games RANKED

Pac-Lander

• 2 weeks later...

You seriously placed Touchdown Football over Scrapyard Dog? I'm sorry, but have you lost your marbles? :-) Scrapyard Dog has some challenges in that it's a little too difficult, but it also has a lot of variety, playability and depth to it. The only thing I can say nice about Touchdown Football is that it has a nice title screen.

Yes, and I'll explain why.

As I explained, #26-#33 are "broken" or "semi-broken", in that the controls are not entirely responsive or what you are trying to do and what you actually do are sometimes not the same thing. In that sense, you could change the order up based on preference...so, sure, if you enjoy Scrapyard Dog more than TD Football, then by all means, I can see you ranking it higher.

But the reason I ranked TD Football slightly higher (one spot) is because Scrapyard Dog fails on sooooo many levels, and was the only original scrolling platformer released on the system. It's just not a fun game, at all. It's an uninspired slog of an experience.

On the other hand, at least I could play TD Football and enjoy it when competing against the computer, and especially against another player. There is an extended playbook in TD Football that was never before seen on the 7800, and the players actually ran routes that they are supposed to. Tapping once throws to one WR, tapping twice throws to the other. Timing routes really are possible! Yes, defense is tough, and it's not entirely easy to know where to put your WR in place at first to make the catch, but with some practice, I got the hang of it. Kickoff returns for touchdowns, slant routes, deep routes for bombs....these are all possible in the game.

Bottom line, despite its flaws, TD Football is a more enjoyable experience than Scrapyard Dog. It accomplishes more of what it's trying to achieve.

• Like 3

Scrapyard Dog fails on sooooo many levels, and was the only original scrolling platformer released on the system. It's just not a fun game, at all. It's an uninspired slog of an experience.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Scrapyard Dog is a horrible game.

• Like 2

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Scrapyard Dog is a horrible game.

Oh... you're not the only one. ;)

It's a game I've tried to like on so many occasions, have given it so many tries, but ultimately ends up being more tedious than a game like this should be IMO. I'd rather play a game like Super Mario Bros. on the C64, even when UP is jump. :lol:

• Like 2

Oh... you're not the only one. ;)

It's a game I've tried to like on so many occasions, have given it so many tries, but ultimately ends up being more tedious than a game like this should be IMO. I'd rather play a game like Super Mario Bros. on the C64, where UP is jump. :lol:

Check out Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest for some GOOD Atari 7800 scrolling platforming action!!!

• Like 2

But the reason I ranked TD Football slightly higher (one spot) is because Scrapyard Dog fails on sooooo many levels,

It's just not a fun game, at all.

It's an uninspired slog of an experience.

TD Football is a more enjoyable experience than Scrapyard Dog.

IN YOUR OPINION.

On the other hand, at least I could play TD Football and enjoy it when competing against the computer, and especially against another player. There is an extended playbook in TD Football that was never before seen on the 7800, and the players actually ran routes that they are supposed to. Tapping once throws to one WR, tapping twice throws to the other. Timing routes really are possible! Yes, defense is tough, and it's not entirely easy to know where to put your WR in place at first to make the catch, but with some practice, I got the hang of it. Kickoff returns for touchdowns, slant routes, deep routes for bombs....these are all possible in the game.

I can see why you would like the game in this context, but I still find it about as much fun as watching Paint dry. Whereas I enjoyed Scrapyard Dog, warts and all.

• Like 1

Check out Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest for some GOOD Atari 7800 scrolling platforming action!!!

Bought it the day of its release and yeah... different style game (it's not trying to be a Mario clone) blows Crapyard Dog out of the water! No brainer purchase for the 7800. :love:

• Like 2

There are so many PmP games I need to get. Scramble and Frenzy/Berzerk are the only two I've purchased so far.

I love Frenzy, so glad that port was made for the 7800. I had heard that it might be ported to the NES at one point. I wonder if that would still happen. I'd buy a copy, it's a fantastic game.

• Like 3

It *was* done for the NES. I'm just not allowed to share it. :( Believe me, I wanted to.

...but if all goes well, you may be able to play it at some point soon... in miniaturized form... That's all I can say.

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 3

I love Frenzy, so glad that port was made for the 7800. I had heard that it might be ported to the NES at one point. I wonder if that would still happen. I'd buy a copy, it's a fantastic game.

Failsafe is another PacMan Plus game I really enjoyed. And "Astro Blaster". But yes, so many good games.

• Like 2

Bought it the day of its release and yeah... different style game (it's not trying to be a Mario clone)

If I remember right, this actually was born out of a discussion as to whether or not the 7800 could play Adventure Island or Wonderboy in Monsterland. Early on, I think there was even some artwork done up for Wonder Boy. When PacMan Plus took on the case, it morphed into its own unique 7800 adventure vs. a port of those games, which was terrific as it game Bentley a platformer.

But it did have its own inspirations. Such not in the vein of Super Mario

EDIT - here's the way old thread. It's fascinating to watch the ideas at work and know the masterpiece that the game turned into after so much effort!

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/190094-wonderboy-on-the-7800/

Edited by DracIsBack
  • Like 1