Photo

Frank Cifaldi's 2019 gdc presentation on emulation

3 replies to this topic

#1 mr_me OFFLINE  

mr_me

River Patroller

• 4,080 posts

Posted Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:20 PM

Frank Cifaldi runs the videogame history foundation and develops videogames. He mentions ideas like modernising old games by modifying the program e.g. graphics, merging features, adjusting gameplay.

Here's a sample slide.

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot_2019-04-12-09-55-12.png

Edited by mr_me, Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:28 PM.

#2 derFunkenstein ONLINE  

derFunkenstein

Stargunner

• 1,475 posts

Posted Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:29 PM

Very nice. Something for me to play in the background this Friday afternoon. 

edit: something that strikes me as I watch the first few minutes (where he recaps his previous talk) is how unlike the movie industry the games industry is. Movies have been very platform-independent for years. A studio makes a movie and then makes it available on whatever media is out there. By contrast, 1st-party games in particular have this problem where the movie studio owns the theater/physical distributor/whatever. Nintendo owns the movie so it only puts it in its theaters. Sega owns its own movies and makes them available on lots of formats. Sega's DVDs play on most (but not all) players, but Nintendo's movies only work on its theater systems. 

And yes, I'm using the "movie" metaphor intentionally. It's absurd to think of a movie being unavailable because it only works in some theaters, but that's exactly how software works.

Edited by derFunkenstein, Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:48 PM.

#3 Newsdee OFFLINE  

Newsdee

Stargunner

• 1,365 posts

Posted Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:37 AM

Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap (mentioned around the middle) is IMHO a fantastic example on how to modernize an old game.

Not only they reused the original source code, but you can switch between the original and remastered graphics and music at any time, and even separately in any combination. It also allows you to generate a passcode so you can use your "save" with the original game, on top of being able to accept original passcodes as well.

It was a true work of love; the main coder, Omar Cornut, wrote one of the major SMS emulators and this was his favorite game. I suppose that talent like that is hard to find for every single game, though...

Edited by Newsdee, Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:38 AM.

#4 Flojomojo OFFLINE  

Flojomojo

You can't handle the truth. No truth-handler, you.

• 16,201 posts
  • I deride your truth-handling abilities.

Posted Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:31 AM

Thanks for sharing. I'll watch it later this weekend, too. I think I've heard most of his points in his preservation talk but I'll bet he's sharpened it up, and I'm glad these points are out there. 

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users